Chivalric Romance/Investigation-based Chronicle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chivalric Romance/Investigation-based Chronicle

Hello, everyone. I'm going to be the Storyteller for a Chronicle with several of my friends this fall. Because this is my first time GM'ing for an RPG, I want to keep the campaign simple, so I was planning on avoiding the politics of the Kithain, and instead have a Chivalric Romance style campaign centered around a small Freehold in 1990's New York. This leaves me with several questions. Firstly, how plausible would it be to explain that an unusually large number of chimerical creatures have been located around the freehold the players are apart of, prompting the lord of said freehold to begin dispatching teams of Changelings to deal with said creatures? Secondly, I was wondering if chimerical beasts leave things that changelings could use to track them, like footprints or offal? Thirdly, does anyone have any suggestions for what kind of monsters I could use? I'm already planning on using the sewer gator at least once, but I can't think of other creatures that exist in New York City urban folklore. Thank you for your time.

Well chimerae don't have to just take the form of mythical creatures, like bygones are. They can be manifestations of emotions, dreams, passions, etc. So you could have manifestations of corporate greed, or neuroticism, or racial tension, or gang warfare. That possibly gives you more scope for coming up with more unique chimerae.

Comment

Does that mean chimerae can be manifested into a group, instead of a single creature? Thank you for the ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Germanicus5 View Post
        Does that mean chimerae can be manifested into a group, instead of a single creature? Thank you for the ideas.
        Sure. Maybe a growing fear of a new virus manifests as a swarm of infectious creatures.

Comment

I'm going to have fun with this. This is a stupid question, but can chimerae take humanoid form?

Comment

I'm going to have fun with this. This is a stupid question, but can chimerae take humanoid form?
            Yes. They're dreams given some degree of autonomy. They can take any form you like.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post

Yes. They're dreams given some degree of autonomy. They can take any form you like.
              I'M GOING TO HAVE FUN WITH THIS!

Comment

This does lead me to ask another question, though. How should I allow my players to gather glamour through Reverie, Rapture, and/or Ravaging?

Comment

This does lead me to ask another question, though. How should I allow my players to gather glamour through Reverie, Rapture, and/or Ravaging?
                  I'm not sure what you mean. Are you unsure of the rules in general?

That said, the rules don't make it easy. I've house-ruled that particularly mythic acts (anything that feeds the Dreaming and stays true to the character's nature) can generate spontaneous Glamour. Other STs are simply more generous with dross.

Comment

Oh, and I suppose it's worth mentioning that you can devour dead chimerae for Glamour (although killing chimerae thoughtlessly can generate Banality).

In a chivalric/romantic game, you might want to relate the musing to downtime. But, in theory, there will be opportunities that arise where the fae can regain Glamour. For instance, matchmaking a mortal couple might generate Glamour. Inspiring someone on a quest might generate Glamour. Getting a mortal artist to depict your adventures in whichever medium she prefers might generate Glamour.

Comment

I figured I'd have to relegate the musing to downtime, I'm just asking because two of my players plan on being Redcaps, with all of the musing-based implications that includes.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                        Oh, and I suppose it's worth mentioning that you can devour dead chimerae for Glamour (although killing chimerae thoughtlessly can generate Banality).
                        I knew that. I'm already anticipating the graphic details some of my players will depict.

Comment

Working...
                        X