Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help - Japanese Houses

Hi there.

I decided to run a Changeling story in Japan. I know, there is LoEMD, but I like the faeries-from-dreams-in-a-dying-world concept and I don't think Changeling is necessarily a geographical-western game. I translated some terms, but the more difficult to me is the House names! Could anyone that knows Japanese idiom/mythology/history/etc help me?

This is my lexicon so far:
    Chimera: Mononoke (物の怪)

Fae: Yousei (妖精)

Changeling: Torikaeko (取り替え子) or チェンジリング (Chenjiringu)

Prodigals: Youkai (妖怪)

The Shinning Host/Seelie Court: Yume no Choutei (夢の朝廷) (Imperial Court of Dreams, actually)

Title: 1. Lord: Shukun (主君)
    2. Knight: Kishi (騎士)
    3. Baron: Danshaku (男爵)
    4. Count: Hakushaku (伯爵)
    5. Duke: Koushaku (公爵)

Wyld Hunt: Hyakki Yagyou (百鬼夜行)
    Last edited by Neon.Sidhe; 07-28-2016, 07:41 PM.

Why not use Hsien? Grafting on Changeling to Japanese culture will make your game more anime than WoD. And the Hsien are actually quite cool, as they are capable of impressive magic without suffering from the limitations of Banality.

Now, if you want the Dreaming, that would be a good reason to use Changelings, but European Changeling kith are born from European cultural dreams and should never be native to Japan. Instead, I would look at the native folk tales, such as the kappa and snow maidens, and derive kiths from them. Otherwise, it is just European Changeling expatriates in Japan.

One thing to remember about Japan is that their Chimera will be heavily influenced by anime and manga as well as folk lore and religion. Their Nodes will also be polluted by the contamination from the nuclear detonation of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and, after 2010, the Fukushima Disaster, which is still going on. You should also consider their relations to the Kuei-jin and Hengeyokai, as they may be competing for rare geomagnetic resources.

Comment

What historical period did you have in mind for inspiration? Changeling has a general vibe of late medieval trappings for its fae, so were you planning on going for a Sengoku feel, or something else?

As for titles, I think you misordered Lord and Knight.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
        Why not use Hsien? Grafting on Changeling to Japanese culture will make your game more anime than WoD. And the Hsien are actually quite cool, as they are capable of impressive magic without suffering from the limitations of Banality.

Now, if you want the Dreaming, that would be a good reason to use Changelings, but European Changeling kith are born from European cultural dreams and should never be native to Japan. Instead, I would look at the native folk tales, such as the kappa and snow maidens, and derive kiths from them. Otherwise, it is just European Changeling expatriates in Japan..
        Eshu aren't european and Pooka are better builds for playing a Tanuki than the actual Hsien of the same name.

As for terms Yosei while technically meaning fairy is much closer to being a synonym for tinkerbell type things it definately wouldn't cover something like a Troll or Redcap. I'd use Yokai for Fae,

Comment

I understand, but you should design Japanese kiths based on Japanese dreams. The base Changeling kith are based on European dreams (even the Eshu are based on European dreams of the exotic nature of Non-European cultures). And no, Pooka are cognitively incapable of being Tanuki because they are rogues. While Tanuki fool people, they do so to enlighten mortals of their foolishness, not because they are compulsive liars.
          Last edited by Aya Tari; 07-29-2016, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Thank you, guys!
            I like the Hsien, but not as much as I like the Kithain. I prefer the drama, theme and mood presented in CtD. And I've already run a chronicle with Hsien (it was very funny indeed), I've been storytelling CtD since 1998, I just want something different, ok?

Actually I'm not against the idea of my story being more Anime/Ghibli films than WoD (Spirited Away and Mononoke Hime are my major influences, but I also like Mahou Shoujo mangas). It passes during the present era - Heisei period (平成) (and yessssss, I misordered Lord and Knight, thanks!).

I think Pookas are closer to Obake than the Hsien too, to be honest! I don't think that the major kiths can't be universal, I don't live in Europe or North America and part of the kithain are part of our folklore too, and the others (Redcap, Troll, Nocker, etc) here are some legends about something that can be remotely near to that concepts. Also, in my country Fae/Faerie/Fairy all translates to Fada, something more like Tinkerbell than any other thing (like Yousei). I think the essence is the same and the diferences are how they deal with things. I think the same about the Vampires from VtRequiem: they are all Vampires, in the USA, Europe or even Japan (even if they aren't part of Japanese folklore and there isn't a perfect translation to them), the differences are the part that flavours of the story. The kiths can't even translate exactly to the myths their names came from - a Troll looks more like a Titan, for exemple (and I don't see it as a problem).

So, if you know something that resembles the Houses names, tell me please!
            Last edited by Neon.Sidhe; 07-29-2016, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Kithain aren't North American they are European. They sort of stole the land from the Native Fae(Nunnhei). The Houses are pretty blatantly each from a particular myth in a particular place the only reason they are in North America is well conquest. Changeling has the MOST splats of any WOD game because they are the exact opposite Requiem vampires.

That being said its pretty easy to pallet swap in Kiths I mean mechanically an Oni isn't going to look THAT different from a Troll and we've already covered Pooka and Obake.

Comment

Well, an Oni is red with horns. At the very least, Japanese kith are not going to associate with Seelie and Unseelie because of the difference between Eastern and Western philosophical systems.

Comment

Well, an Oni is red with horns. At the very least, Japanese kith are not going to associate with Seelie and Unseelie because of the difference between Eastern and Western philosophical systems.

There are blue Oni. The Red Oni, Blue Oni is a thing.

Comment

Also, there are "red" Trolls. You can check it on Kithbook: Troll pg. 47 (The Dred Menace).

Comment

I'd wager that it's less about philosophical systems than folkloric divisions, since Seelie vs. Unseelie isn't exactly a common thing having to do with most of western civilization. Though, to be certain, some religious tones creep in on both sides, it may be more about being the kind of monster that goes along with humans vs. being one of the ones that lives in the mountains and eats people.

Comment

So Courts. I'd go with the four Seasonal its fairly integrated in japanese culture but maybe make it slightly poetic like the Sakura Court

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
                          So Courts. I'd go with the four Seasonal its fairly integrated in japanese culture but maybe make it slightly poetic like the Sakura Court

I would probably set the courts up as somewhat regional based, though more in theory than fact.

So you would have the Winter Court in Hokkaido and the northern part of Honshu, a Summer Court on the islands of Okinawa, Kyushu and Shikoku, the Autumn Court would take up Western Honshu and the Spring Court would be located in Eastern Honshu.

At the same time major cities, either those with large populations or those with important historical value (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka, etc) would have off-branches from these courts living there as ambassadors or permanent residents. So, realistically even though the Spring Court might claim control over Eastern Honshu, in fact there would be a lot of members of other courts living there.

Comment

Originally posted by AnubisXy View Post

I would probably set the courts up as somewhat regional based, though more in theory than fact.

So you would have the Winter Court in Hokkaido and the northern part of Honshu, a Summer Court on the islands of Okinawa, Kyushu and Shikoku, the Autumn Court would take up Western Honshu and the Spring Court would be located in Eastern Honshu.

At the same time major cities, either those with large populations or those with important historical value (Tokyo, Yokohama, Kyoto, Osaka, etc) would have off-branches from these courts living there as ambassadors or permanent residents. So, realistically even though the Spring Court might claim control over Eastern Honshu, in fact there would be a lot of members of other courts living there.

I'd imagine the courts dominion in particular parts of Japan is an artifact of previous times, and occasionally given lipservice to.

Comment

If I was going to do what you are doing, I would make them Youkai as their name for Changelings rather then Prodigals. Maybe have each House have a patron God, like a House Inari and a House Kwannon.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
                              X