Help - Japanese Houses

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
    If I was going to do what you are doing, I would make them Youkai as their name for Changelings rather then Prodigals. Maybe have each House have a patron God, like a House Inari and a House Kwannon.

I'd be prone to use their fairytale characters, the Golden Boy, Kaguya-hime, The Peach Boy all are very "Changeling" stories with Kaguya even returning to Arcadia...
    Last edited by Lian; 08-12-2016, 04:02 AM.

Comment

So are you gonna write up knew Kiths for like the Kappa, winter ladies, and long necks? Do the Hsien not exist at all in this setting? Boer naps one way of differentiating things is the heavens/dreaming didn't fully abandon the land here, and changelings are considered spirits of the earth and true far exist in the high plains of heaven.

Tengu and kitsune would be hella fun to steal as kiths. Some cool martial arts blessing for the Tengu.

And to represent kiths changing over the ages Shinigami could be a kith that didn't exist till the last couple hundred years or so with idea exchanges from the west.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Eshu-I'd just have them there confused why people find them odd.
        Oni-Red and Blue.. I feel like Trolls make a decent starting place but could use a different frailty.
        Obake-Pooka do cover a vast variety of them fairly well, though one could swap afew things around give them a single animal, and new frailty.
        Yukionna-New kith!
        Tengu-New Kith
        Tsukimogami-a new variant on Inanimae?

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I'd be prone to use their fairytale characters, the Golden Boy, Kaguya-hime, The Peach Boy all are very "Changeling" stories with Kaguya even returning to Arcadia...
          YASSS! I wish I knew more about Japanese fairy tales. Actually I'm reading this book that compiles several stories. I hope some House's names pop from this pages.
          I'm loving the idea that kiths should get a regional/optional frailty or birthright...

Ps: Arcadia - Mt. Hourai (蓬莱).
          Last edited by Neon.Sidhe; 08-19-2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon.Sidhe View Post

YASSS! I wish I knew more about Japanese fairy tales. Actually I'm reading this book that compiles several stories. I hope some House's names pop from this pages.
            I'm loving the idea that kiths should get a regional/optional frailty or birthright...

Ps: Arcadia - Mt. Hourai (蓬莱).

Well Kaguya-hime literally descends from the Moon and returns to such.

Making a House Magical Girl is probably no more reaching than any other house gives a wide range of concepts...

Comment

There are some Really good inspirations for Kiths among the Myriad Varieties of Yokai as well as some Yokai that fit along the themes of various Western Kiths to act as Analogues to them or even Variants. I'd suggest going to Yokai.com if you want to find resources for Kiths and Chimera in the Form of Descriptions and Stories relating to specific Yokai.

Comment

I'm not sure if the Noble Houses would get a different boon/flaw, but I think I've decided the Seelie Houses Japanese counterparts (the Noble houses from the Imperial Court of Dreams/Light):

House Dougal - House Fudo
                House Eiluned - House Kaguya
                House Fiona - House Kishijoten
                House Gwydion - House Fugen
                House Liam - House Jizo

I think that the house's founders' names could be lost in time/banality/mists and that this is how humans and changelings remember their names (and although they sound like some myths, maybe this is not their true names or they are just homophones).

Comment

You probably don't need 13-14 Japanese Houses. There are 13-14 European Houses with an profound overrepresentation in the British isles.

I think I'd go 3 and 3

Promote Kaguya to the standard "ruling" house. They are the House of Justice and Magic. This makes Gwydion unnecissary. They still have a flaw driving them to find mysteries.. but this is "the light of the Moon shines upon all dark corners" vs a drive to treachery.

Dougal - on the one hand smiths of incredible will and skill is a thematic for Japanese stories... but Smiths are Not Nobles. Iffy.

Gwydion as I said dropped. This can make all sorts of fun cultural chaos.

Fiona well your boon and frailty are practically the backbone of all Samurai Drama! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokoyo Might be a better name though.

Liam-its so wrapped up in the Western Plot i'd drop it entirely.

KIntaro and Momotaro really need a place in this scenario hmmmmm Lets look at the Lost houses.

Scathach-a Neutral house of warriors who are skilled with stealth, superhuman feats...Ninja House Obviously! Got to pick a name there.

Aesin-has a good boon for a Momotaro but the frailty is not so good.

Daelrean(sp) might be a Good Kintaro, its unseelie but having things swap around in cultures in my mind is good.

So new idea for Court Breakdowns: In Shinto we have the 3 Great Gods, Amaterasu, Tsukyomi, and Susanoo.

Amaterasu is tied strongly to the Imperial family, and there are various myths how the siblings divided up the world for their descendents with Amaterasu's Kin getting the mortals while Susanoo and Tsukyomi's kin getting various supernatural worlds. So the Seelie analogue has alot of night symbols but the Moon, and stars vs the darkness.

So the Courts of Heavens and Storm, this also potentially inverts the seasonal relationship between the western and Japanese courts where the Japanese treat December to May as the times of Order and Light, and June to November as the Seasons of Chaos.

So.. suggestions for the Houses of the Storm.. comming eventually.

Comment

Working...
                  X