Changeling and Kinain Populations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faradn View Post
    re: the scarcity of Glamour--what makes it so scarce? Can't it be harvested from experiencing beauty and the creation thereof, like the Toreador Clan weakness through a mirror brightly? It's been awhile since I read Changeling so I don't remember exactly how Glamour works.
    Experiencing it? Not really. Some items emit tiny amounts of Glamour long after creation, but mostly changelings in CTD1e/2e have to inspire the *creation* of an artwork, gaining a handful of Glamour for days, weeks or, more often, months of hard work. They can gain a few more by *destroying* a valuable work of art, but that's a one-time thing. Then they can drain the Glamour inherent in dreamers, but it's frowned upon, and risks permanently damaging the human.

Most of CTD is about myths and fairytales, but changelings don't actually gain Glamour that way. It's almost like they tacked on this idea of Glamour-as-art, but made it pretty much the only way to get Glamour, despite it not being as central to the game as the idea of tapping into mythic threads.

Relvery sounds like it fits better, because of that. Fae should get Glamour by being fae and getting into adventures, as much as they get it from living in artists' communes and living the bohemian lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
      I'm happy to talk about things that have already been revealed, and when the game comes out, I'll certainly be willing talk about my thought process behind my sections if anyone is interested. It's not my place to reveal anything that hasn't already been revealed though.

That being said, blackhatmatt has said a few times he's willing to answer C20 questions. I'm pretty surprised how few people have taken him up on that.

And this is why I can't wait for the book to get into people's hands. All of this is so incredibly cool! And here I am, stuck, unable to say why Unleashing probably won't be used constantly (but when it is, it'll almost certainly be memorable!) or talk about the fifth R or the Dauntain or Bedlam or [REDACTED] that hasn't even been hinted at anywhere yet. I mean.... the Time Realm you guys, the Time Realm!
      What are these sections of yours? If we can know them, we can talk about it. I am pretty sure "pooka" is your section

Comment

Originally posted by KokoroWatari View Post

What are these sections of yours? If we can know them, we can talk about it. I am pretty sure "pooka" is your section
        This thread is getting super off-topic >_>

The Pooka write-up wasn't me. It was done by someone far more appropriate - the Grand Pooka himself!

I had the Courts (Seelie, Unseelie, and Shadow), Traits (Legacies, Attributes, Abilities, Backgrounds, Willpower, Glamour, Banality, and Health), Thallain background and mechanics, and the Korred, Morganed, Wichtel, and Wolpertinger kith write-ups.

Charlie Cantrell
        Onyx Path Freelancer
        Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

To get it back on topic, how often do you use Kinain in your games?

Comment

Helping to get back on topic, I don't use them a whole lot. When they do get used in games I run, it's always been as an NPC so far. The last major chronicle I ran had a prominent NPC Kinain who was the sister of one of the PCs. The look on the players' faces was absolutely priceless when it dawned on them that she was actually fae-blooded and knew what the characters were really up the entire time! She just never made a big deal about it because she grew up around it all going on around her and so it seemed normal to her.

Charlie Cantrell
            Onyx Path Freelancer
            Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
              To get it back on topic, how often do you use Kinain in your games?
              I used them a lot in my chronicle. However, they were always in background, doing something secret or hideous. I run my game for 2 years, 1381, 1863 and 1969. They were active in 69 because of resurgence. I will resume my chronicle in September and they will reincarnate in 99. Then, I will toss a lot Kinian on them.

They could be the major factor to hide kithians life. For example, you can be a ceo and take kithians and provide a work space for them without causing any other problem to them.

Comment

Thanks Adam.

Comment

I'm running a crossover game with Mage, so I encourage mages with Fae Blood and Faerie Affinity. It just makes everything easier.

Comment

I actually think that the two Merits work better for Sorcerers than Mages, as Changelings tend to be nervous around Mages (competition for resources, as Glamour is a form of Quintessence) and as Mages cannot develop anything that requires Glamour, but I can see the point of a crossover game. After all, Changelings are the most common major supernatural other than Wraiths.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post
                      I'm running a crossover game with Mage, so I encourage mages with Fae Blood and Faerie Affinity. It just makes everything easier.
                      Its just mind one, spirit 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

Its just mind one, spirit 1!
                        To see chimerical reality, yes. But to interact with the Dreaming itself requires other Spheres. Plus, giving a character fae heritage means all this is part of their Paradigm--I mean, how many Sons of Ether know to tune into chimerical reality to check if the weird person in front of them is actually fae?

It helps that one of the Big Bads was actually a Marauder from House Merinita.

Also, the rules for enchantment in First and Second Edition are so unclear and unforgiving. You get enchanted for a day and then fall into a coma for weeks when it wears off... This way, there's a degree of handwaving and characters are encouraged to stay together.

The final reason I've allowed it is because now the kinain mage PC can work on a Fae Minor Sphere, which we're both quite excited about.

We used to have two kinain mages but now we just have one Hollower who was descended from fae and uses some of their styles in his own gutter magick. The other two mages have joined the fae because of a shared hatred of the Technocracy.

Comment

Originally posted by adambeyoncelowe View Post

To see chimerical reality, yes. But to interact with the Dreaming itself requires other Spheres. Plus, giving a character fae heritage means all this is part of their Paradigm--I mean, how many Sons of Ether know to tune into chimerical reality to check if the weird person in front of them is actually fae?

Ironically in the game I'm in the Etherite i'm playing basically had to explain to the Verbena and Hermetic how to see into the Dreaming.. Ufology, Fortean phenomenia, Parapsychology, the Hollow Earth etc are all parts and parcel to the Etherites.

Comment

I do like the Sons of Ether...

Comment

I do too. One of our characters is an Etherite construct known as Tom Morrow, the Man of Tomorrow. I guess he feels some kind of affinity (lower-case A) with the fae. Recently, he's been getting on better with them than the mages.

Comment

Working...
                              X