Raised by Nightmares

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raised by Nightmares

Pretty much all of the Changeling books assume redcaps, sluagh and Thallain, either foist their kids off on others, or just don't make good parents. I find that idea silly and very unhelpful. so, if you're kin, or kinain, and you're raised by any of the kith above, what affect is it likely to have? What if you have an isolated upbringing? Our redcap kinain gets insulted when you call her a human, gnaws on people when she likes them, bites them when she doesn't, tussles with our resident Garou for fun -- feasible when you have strength four -- and in general acts cheerfully bloodthirsty when she's happy and being completely sarcastic and bitter when she isn't.

Bit curious which books, since that's not in Enchanted or their respective kithbooks.

Enchanted doesn't really go into the relationship between kith and kinain on a kith-by-kith basis. Mind's Eye Theatre has it that redcaps and their kinain get on famously, once the kinain proves they're strong enough and able to run with the gang. (Going off their kithbook, redcaps a) look out for their own, since no-one else will, and b) respect those who can give as good as they can get.)

MET also has it that sluagh kinain tend to share the kith's desire for privacy, and full-blooded sluagh respect that.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

I don't have the MET books sadly. I want to say that I was reading Fool's Luck, but I'll need to look for the exact quote. I was primarily concerned with kin -- mortals without Fae Blood. It doesn't matter much since our redcap warband are Scottish and Irish Travelers, Romani, various other nomadic folk, etc. Oddly, we tend to breed true; so everyone's pretty much redcaps, kinain or kin. Even when we adopt other people's unwanted kids. (By kidnapping them. ^^)

Comment

Whether a child is changeling, kinain or mortal, a grump parent cares for her and loves her just the same. Some kith are less hospitable to children in general, and mortal children in particular. [...] Other kith, such as redcaps and sluagh, often abandon their children or leave them with mortal families to raise them, leading to no few confused childlings and wilders in later years. - Enchanted, Family and Children, page 58, paragraph 4, sentence 1

You can see why I find this insulting, right? My sluagh's been a parent since he was fourteen. He's been married since he was seventeen. The roses haven't grow up in ten thousand years and they never will. Call it a blessing. Call it a curse. It's just really unhelpful when you're trying to play.

Comment

Oy... Missed that one, 'cause I was looking at the Kinain section.

Kithbook Redcaps ignores that, fortunately; there's a 'Studying' section on p. 43 which is about how the redcaps teach their childlings - making a point that they do, because it'd be a disaster if they didn't and they can't afford to lose childlings, and because they have to take care of their own.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Yeah, they take care of kin too. Because not doing so is stupid. Even if they don't carry the Blood.

Comment

Golden rule that inconsistency. I dare you.

Fae parents are covered much less than fae children, but I guess that's because more parents are Grumps or else Undone. Raising kids often means jobs often means banality often means the Undoing, sadly. Although, not for all, certainly, as alternative lifestyles would allow you to raise your kids without a soul-crushing job getting in the way, so you can focus on their joy and imagination.

Comment

oh this is a good question.

any ideas how An Ailil or especialy a Balor Childling will survive the intensely abusive training detailed in book of houses II?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                  oh this is a good question.

any ideas how An Ailil or especialy a Balor Childling will survive the intensely abusive training detailed in book of houses II?
                  Well, don't forget the children are half nightmare too. They're probably spiritually resilient enough to survive it. Besides, serial killers have to come from somewhere...

Comment

yes but a 5 or 6 year old?

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                      yes but a 5 or 6 year old?
                      Any redcap child is going to delight in brutality and savagery. It's literally in her soul, remember. It will probably bring about her chrysalis even sooner. As for kinain . . . They'll struggle more, potentially. But, really, even nightmares might feel broody about their own children. All kinds of horrid critters protect their own young.

Comment

I dont disagree but was thinking of the Fior Righ, since thats something the way its written, that happens before play begins

Comment

Balor aren't going to kill their own kin. They probably beat them up just enough to get the point across that attacking older ones are a bad idea. Like redcaps.

Comment

oh a question o n the unseelie right now only vaguely related? ideas on some good weaknesses to offer an unseelie so they can exploit.

in a game I am STing right now on Rpol an Ailil is showing "A lot" of sympathy for a boggan bakes apprentice, when he told her he was generally assigned tasks more appropiate to an enchanted mortal.

Comment

Working...
                            X