Help me with Pookaese.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me with Pookaese.

Its a bit of an art, that on the surface looks simple, but when your trying to "Communicate the truth"

ideas on how to do so relatively artfully

I once played a Pooka who primarily communicated in idiom. Inspired by the "Darmok" episode of TNG.

It was a big hit, but it required a lot of preparation and got exhausting by the end of a session.

Comment

I interpret it to mean that pooka can speak in riddles, metaphors or slang. Pig Latin is a good option, for instance. I actually find saying the opposite of what you mean or lying all the time is the hardest to maintain and the hardest to decipher. It's also the least interesting way to run a pooka.

The old kithbook had some ideas that were decent. Personally, I find the kith flaw virtually unplayable as written. But making your character speak in poetry or rap lyrics, for instance, can be way more fun.

Comment

I really hope they fixed that one. Never being able to enter a password without a Willpower point is going to suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit Pooka View Post
          I really hope they fixed that one. Never being able to enter a password without a Willpower point is going to suck.
          Haha! Indeed!

Comment

Answer questions with questions, exaggerate, throw in random details that never happened.

Pooka: "And then the Count walked in. He looked magnificent in his red over coat!"

Eshu: "But wasn't it a blue over coat?"

Pooka: "Nope, that blue tint was just a trick of the light off those shiny buttons!"

Eshu: "Are you sure?"

Pooka: "If perception is subjective, who can really be sure of anything?"

Pooka are so much fun to play! Hopefully folks will find them a bit more accessible in C20.

Charlie Cantrell
            Onyx Path Freelancer
            Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post
              Answer questions with questions, exaggerate, throw in random details that never happened.

Pooka: "And then the Count walked in. He looked magnificent in his red over coat!"

Pooka: "Nope, that blue tint was just a trick of the light off those shiny buttons!"

Pooka are so much fun to play! Hopefully folks will find them a bit more accessible in C20.

Yes, ask questions and give people and things nicknames.

Ferret Pooka: "The Ducks are about again"
              Monkey Pooka: "Again? Did you look at the mess they made last time?"
              Ferret Pooka: "Let's be honest here: it was the wolves that started the mess."
              Monkey Pooka: "Wolves come around causing trouble. The Ducks get involved and things get messier."
              Ferret Pooka: "At least the ducks clean up the mess afterwards."
              Monkey Pooka: "Do you think the Ducks can clean up the entire mess this time?"
              Ferret Pooka: *thinks* "We should help the ducks clean up the mess."

No one figured out (besides our Slaugh childer motley mate) who the ducks were.

Duck - House Gwydion (Because Sidhe "quack" alot)
              Wolves - Shadow Court

Last edited by wonderandawe; 09-29-2016, 10:39 AM.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

The Werewolf: the Apocalypse Quest updates on Mondays. All are welcome to vote.

Comment

oh in a game Was just playing in, a Pooka NPC was talking with a Sidhe visitor saying "Our Seelie Masters have been very Generous. I have totally forgiven them for killing my mentor on the night of iron knives, water under the bridge and all that. The Seelie are Widely hated in this town, but theirs quite an undercurrent of people who think their really nice guys, but not enough to help them any."

How could that have been put in riddles or pig latin.

Comment

Sarcasm is a great tool as well.

"Do you know what was easy? Forgiving the Seelie for the Night of Iron Knives. I didn't lose anything important that night- just my mentor. But do you know agree that time moves on and heals all wounds?"

"Most people in this town just LOVE the Seelie. They love them so much, they would hang their corpses off the oak in town square. Yet if you listen carefully to the whispers on the wind, you'll know the truth. If Seelie corpses hang off the oak tree, the whispers will try to paint the town red. But what use is whispers on the wind to the Seelie?"

Pooka talk is easier when you have someone to bounce off.

Are you ready to rage? Discover if you are Brave Enough to fight for the soul of the world.

Comment

ok still trying to develop my talent for it

And in the thing in question the Seelie were, for the most part tolerated, even liked, though their was an undercurrent of resentment.

is saying "I feel young and spry for my age" the best way to say "I feel old and world weary for my age"

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                      ok still trying to develop my talent for it

And in the thing in question the Seelie were, for the most part tolerated, even liked, though their was an undercurrent of resentment.

is saying "I feel young and spry for my age" the best way to say "I feel old and world weary for my age"
                      You can use metaphors, which are technically lies. "My bones are old as the hills. My soul worn down as the mountains."

A Pooka's words are rarely going to be translated word for word. But you can convey the general meaning behind it.

A Pooka may try to convey "I hate that Unseelie bastard because he killed my daughter and I want him to die." The listener may understand the Pooka wants the Unseelie bastard to die because he did something bad to him. An astute listener may realize the Unseelie bastard took someone close to the Pooka. Someone who knows the Pooka's story will realize exact what the Pooka is trying to say.

Either way the listener is going to go kill the Pooka's enemy, which is what he wanted in the first place.
                      Last edited by wonderandawe; 09-29-2016, 08:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PookaKnight View Post

They are great fun. But the flaw was written before email, ATMs, and cell phones were wide spread. Now a Pooka is nearly impossible to play without a constant stream of Willpower points. Need to use your debit card, enter your pin. Willpower point. Checking your email, need a password. Willpower point. Need to unlock your phone. Willpower point. It's just bad design unless this was fixed.

Comment

So be flexible with it? The spirit of the flaw is that pooka cause chaos and lie to people in their communications. They're not communicating with a computer, so there's no one to lie to.

Flaws add spice and make things interesting. They're not meant to be debilitating.

Charlie Cantrell
                          Onyx Path Freelancer
                          Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit Pooka View Post

They are great fun. But the flaw was written before email, ATMs, and cell phones were wide spread. Now a Pooka is nearly impossible to play without a constant stream of Willpower points. Need to use your debit card, enter your pin. Willpower point. Checking your email, need a password. Willpower point. Need to unlock your phone. Willpower point. It's just bad design unless this was fixed.
                            I don't think a pooka should loose willpower for giving thier password to a computer program. Though I expect some interesting answers for thier security questions.

Now if someone (a person) asks for thier password, I except lies.

Comment

You could just apply the flaw whenever a pooka is asked a direct question. That makes sense, and probably makes the flaw less debilitating. Or you could allow a Willpower roll instead of a Willpower point for the scene.

Comment

Working...
                              X