What is Ravaging?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Ravaging?

The books seem to flip flop between it being terrifying mortals, or from ripping the glamour from them

thing is if its just Terror a thing to note is that FEAR is not mutualy opposed with glamour.

Way its written right now in 2nd edition, an unseelie childlings mentor is NOT going to encourage them to go around ravaging.

Ravaging is a way of gaining Glamour. It's a relatively quick method, compared to Musing, but it's also a form of psychic rape. Ravaging risks giving the Fae more Banality, as well as temporarily reducing the reader's ability to create.

Comment

I know all that, but it seems to flip flop between it promoting banality, or just flavouring glamour with fear.

or if I want to just flavour my glamour with fear, should I muse a horror novelist?

Comment

Yes. Go muse a horror novelist. ^^

Comment

what can the little Ailil childling do, that doesnt want to risk the consumnate increase in Banality that ravaging could bring?

A horror novelist may not accept her as a muse.

Comment

A few off the top of my head:

She could be a muse to the school bullies, inspiring them to all new heights of cruelty.

She might be the ringleader of a group of mean girls, driving them to set the standards of fashion and behavior in her school. Woe be to anyone who doesn't fit in to their vision.

She might inspire someone in her age group to start telling ghost stories that catch on among her neighborhood's children making them all terrified of old Mrs. Winters down the street.

Kids have their own social structures and can be unbelievably mean. Dreaming has a tendency to put children on pedestals and treat as the model for innocence and wonder, but they're just as human as any adult and can be even be far worse at times since they may not have fully grasped restraint and empathy yet.

Charlie Cantrell
            Onyx Path Freelancer
            Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

oh so I dont have to muse an "Artistic Creation"?

Comment

If the definition of artistic creation begins and ends with something physical, it seems to me to be an awfully banal definition of art.

Charlie Cantrell
                Onyx Path Freelancer
                Changeling: The Dreaming 20th Anniversary Edition, Night Horrors: Conquering Heroes, Book of Freeholds

Comment

Fair enough.

by that measure though a seelie fae could muse someone by giving friendly advise.

Comment

Does that advise inspire the person? Then sure, friendly advice could be a method of musing, although I probably wouldn't frame it as that. I'd probably go something along the lines of....

Rosencruz is known as the Sage of SoHo. Everyone with a problem comes to him for advice. His answers are usually more like questions or riddles, but for those who take his words to heart and really think on them, they find themselves inspired in all new ways, pursuing avenues they didn't even realize existed. He has a small, dedicated following of people who just can't get enough of his wisdom. They keep trying to get him to write a book or do something to get more national exposure, but he's content to remain in his community helping out as he can.

Mechanically, that might look something like this in 2E:

Name: Rosencruz
                    Kith: pooka (owl)
                    Court: Seelie
                    Legacies: Sage/Riddler

Background: Dreamers 4

Musing Threshold: Foster Dreams
                    Last edited by PookaKnight; 10-15-2016, 09:47 AM.

Charlie Cantrell
                    Onyx Path Freelancer

Comment

thresholds a difficult thing to pick out at times, especialy for a char you dont see doing much ravaging, or much musing.

Comment

CTD 2e actually does say that you have to inspire 'works', 'art' and 'creations' (pp. 212-213). The Musing Thresholds given as examples in that section are also milestones on the way to creating specific works/texts. So your examples aren't RAW as per that book, PookaKnight. Of course, you know more about C20 than us, so that may be different. I hope it is, at least, as it's such a common house-rule.
                        Last edited by adambeyoncelowe; 10-16-2016, 02:52 AM.

Comment

I hope so too.

Comment

Working...
                          X