Extending Life?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ariketh View Post
    To make things simple (unless complex methods or plothooks are the point), I'd recommend the 2pt Unaging Merit from MtA Revised (page 295). The short description is "you don't age, make up your reason why." Nothing more to it than that, except for a few examples.
    Perhaps, although the character will need to find a way to become Unaging, and can't use the vague winds of pre-char gen to hand wave it away. Questing for eternal youth is a Chronicle in and of itself, especially if it's Eternal Youth without Paradox, which the Merit seems to imply.

Still, there are ways to do it. Commission an alchemist to create an immortality elixir. Find the Fountain of Youth. Strike a deal with a higher (or lower) power.

Outside of gaining the Unaging Merit post-char gen, there is another way to get to the future: find a place where the flow of time is convoluted. Step in, step out, and suddenly you're decades in the future.

I'll give you a set up. Somewhere in the world is a place called the Cave of Eternity & Whispers. Those who wander in do not return in the lifetime of anyone who would remember them, but wander out ages hence. Some people who exit the cave speak dead tongues, and swear allegiance to dead empires. Word tells of a Primeval Mage, who stepped out as if from the murky depths of pre-history, when the world was young.

Find that Cave, and you find a ticket to the Future. Or the Past, perhaps. More impossible things have happened.

Comment

The merit has no game effect, except the cost. And yeah you can can wave it away pre-char gen. One of the explicit examples is 'complete mystery.' Handwave complete. On the other hand, 'complete mystery' screams plothook to me. Here's the quote:

Mage the Ascension, Revised page 295

Unaging (2-pt. Merit)

Your mage does not age, ever. Perhaps she drank an elixir in the Mythic Ages, or she tasted the Peach of Immortality, or she ate the Apples of the Hesperides, or she dined on the forbidden savor of mermaid’s flesh. Perhaps she was injected with the perfect Iterator nanotech or Progenitor symbiote. Perhaps her body is composed of timeless stone or metal. Perhaps the cause is a complete mystery. Regardless, she remains unchanged as the years pass by, save for scars and accumulated knowledge.
      I agree that post char gen, that's an ST call and/or great idea for a chronicle. Given that it's flavor and has no mechanical consequences though, I have no problem as an ST leaving it like that - flavor with no real consequence. Now, if the player is trying to get mechanical things out of it that other players don't, that's a problem. On the other hand, it's a great merit to justify odd things on the character sheet.

Or to put it another way, it only has as much weight as you want to put into it. Which is why I suggest this as a simple option.
      Last edited by Ariketh; 11-16-2016, 09:29 PM. Reason: formatting

Comment

I agree. And since it doesn't have any mechanical effect, you could let the player get the merit using some Life ritual, if you don't want to spend time in side quests

Comment

Isn't extending your life simply Life 4? I think it's covered in "How do you DO that?"

Comment

Yes, it is. The problem isn't to extend life, but to do this without too much nasty effects, like Permadox, for the time needed.

Or, put another way, the consequences of distinct solutions to the problem given.

Extending life isn't, usually, a problem at a mechanical standpoint. In very few chronicles will make that difference if the PC is 12 or 1200 years old, as long as the character sheet is still built with the same points.

But it talks a lot about setting, and about theme. In the WoD, the quest for life usually takes a very relevant spot, and Mage deals with it a lot. The history of the setting is full of quests for extended life, immortality, and such. Life, and death, remain among the great mysteries of the setting. And is this mystery, not some sense of balance, that makes it so relevant the consequences of extending one's life.

As a prime example, I could cite the House/Clan Tremere. As a Hermetic House, the Tremere were alchemists dedicated to extending life. They tried and tested lots of concoctions, and mostly had a dominion over the process. Their elixirs stayed the hands of death and decay for the inner circle of the House for more than two hundred years. When the 11th century came, it came with a new phenomenon, the dreaded Paradox. And the Magi of House Tremere started to feel their magic dwindling, as they accrued Paradox. It manifested mostly as the concoctions having ever less effectiveness and more colateral effects. House Tremere was on crisis, and the Inner Council despaired as they faced the possibility of aging and death. That's when Goratrix got a plan, using the blood he collected from undead beings of the carpathian mountains, to steal their eternal life without loosing the Awakened Avatar. It didn't worked, but demonstrates how much the quest for life became dangerous in the setting.

Eu prefiro ser essa metamorfose ambulante,
            Do que ter aquela velha opinião formada sobre tudo,
            Sobre o que é o amor, sobre que eu nem sei quem sou.
            É chato chegar a um objetivo num instante,
            Eu prefiro ser essa metamorfose ambulante.

Comment

Originally posted by Tytalus View Post
              Isn't extending your life simply Life 4? I think it's covered in "How do you DO that?"
              Technically it would probably even be Life 3, given that all you need to do is revert your age and make that permanent on a regular basis.
              But, like so very many things, it depends on paradigm; Which is why many Mages struggle with putting the concept into action for a long time.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
              >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels

Comment

I wonder if the Cult of Ecstasy and the Euthanatos have oblique methods of staving off time or the accrual of entropy that can have much the same end result without needing the Life sphere?

Comment

with life 3 you add some decades to your life. stronger if your rating is 4-5.
                  entropy 4+ can do the same.
                  problem is you eventually suffer pattern bleeding.

life 5 mind 4 prime 4(a translation of a dark ages spell) allows you to remove aging by using massive amounts of quintessence with life-giving resonance

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post

Time has layered Paradox.
                    I thought that was only for traveling backwards in time.
                    ("And a mage who travels backward according to the Time Sphere Timelines chart gets two layers of Paradox for each interval on that chart")

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

I thought that was only for traveling backwards in time.
                      ("And a mage who travels backward according to the Time Sphere Timelines chart gets two layers of Paradox for each interval on that chart&quot
                      I posted as a response to the “magick is either vulgar or not, there is no scaling“, to show that there are at least 3 different levels of vulgar magick.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post

I posted as a response to the “magick is either vulgar or not, there is no scaling“, to show that there are at least 3 different levels of vulgar magick.
                        Oh Sorry. So that's like: Vulgar; Time Travel Backwards Vulgar; & What's the other one?
                        Also, on an unrelated note, it's funny that quotation marks come out weird on this forum when anyone quotes them.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

Oh Sorry. So that's like: Vulgar; Time Travel Backwards Vulgar; & What's the other one?
                          Also, on an unrelated note, it's funny that quotation marks come out weird on this forum when anyone quotes them.
                          I thought: normal Paradox, Layers of Paradox, and Permadox.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

I guess that's one way to look at it. I've always thought of gaining permadox and gaining layers of paradox as distinct variants of gaining paradox rather than different points on a scale but I get what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                            X