The 1001 Paradigms thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 1001 Paradigms thread

I got curious on how different types of mage do their magick. So, what if we share some paradigms?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

My first ever mage was an Etherite who thought reality was ultimately mechanical, and thus the right machinery built in the right way could be used to set up effects. They were a time mage, and they mostly used clockwork contraptions as their focus. Time effects would be set up with a specially designed clockwork watch, while a pair of clockwork gloves/gauntlets would be used to reconfigure Matter patterns into different orientations.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

Comment

My current Char believes that Time is an endless loop and thus a prison. The endless cycle causes endless suffering. The governing principles are Harmony (the force that attracts) and Strife (the force that repels). The tidal waves of the Imagio flows through the worlds and gives the Gifted the fuel for their magics.
      Practice is mostly High Ritual with Dominion and a dash Crazy Wisdom.
      The similarities to a 13th century's Criamon from another gameline are totally not coincidental.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

One is more than an individual who happens to be born in a random family. One is an emanation of the family line, the noble cascade of blood that flows loftily through the ages and echoes throughout history. Love your children, care for your siblings, respect your parents, revere your ancestors and honor your family. Heaven favors those who do, and the ancestors will shine them with fortune. Heaven scorns those who do not, and the ancestors' cries of anguish will revertebrate to your life. Achieve greatness and shine your name, and your kin sings together with you. Bloody your hands and smear your name, and you dishonor all you love and love you back.

An Awakened Confuscian scholar-slash-gentry, who excels in Correspondence, Entropy, Spirit and dabbles in Prime but practically blind to other Spheres. I'm not actually an Ascension player, so I have no idea what his Practice and Instruments would be (are they even the correct word I'm using?? )

Comment

One character I've toyed with is a Technoshaman/Virtual Adept, inspired by Serial Experiments Lain. (By the way, if you haven't watched Serial Experiments Lain, you really should. Even the old White Wolf books recommended it as inspiration for technoshamanism.)

Using Everything Is Data, and a mix of Reality Hacking and Shamanism, my character sees the act of magick as the processing of information. So long as information is processed, it can affect the world, no matter what processes it. Like the titular Lain, she hacked her brain so that it could act as a piece of computer hardware. Not with a brain implant, but by emulating a PC OS. Rather than modding her physical body, she modded her mind.

The way that the protagonist from Lain did it, of course, was a development late in the series that made Lain not need hardware anymore to affect the world around her. My character, naturally, can't start with that much power. Therefore, she is limited by one key aspect of computer tech that she can't (as of yet) overcome: Input and Output. The most powerful mainframe computer in the world is useless without a means to send and receive information. In regular computing, this is facilitated by monitors, keyboards, mice, various IO ports, and, nowadays, WIFI.

But, obviously, a human brain does not come equipped with any of those things (nor is my character proficient enough with Biotech to make such additions to herself, let alone crazy enough to try). Moreover, the char can't just access the emulated computer in her head through thought (yet). Just like a computer loaded with two different OSs can't necessarily trade information with one another (because of vastly different system architecture), her brain can't "talk" to the emulated OS because of the vast difference between normal human mental frameworks and machine intelligence.

So until she "upgrades" the system in her head (goes on Seekings to raise her Arete), she has to rely on using what her body already possesses to transfer information to and from that part of her brain. This can include causing computer code to scroll across a computer monitor or handheld screen, vocalizing commands to herself, or having a device translate complex data streams into sounds and sticking that to her ear. You know how modems used to work by sticking a phone receiver to a device, and have the two trade discordant screeches of machine noise at each other? And how that was used to facilitate a data stream between a network and one's home computer? Same thing really, with the character pressing her smart phone against her ear so it feeds the data she's working on into her head, or else translating long strings of instructions to MP3 format and loading them to her phone or MP3 player, and feeding it in through her ear buds. (I also figured this character would have some guitar skills, and pluck out notes one at a time, feeding data in that way). Using audio for Input is useful when on the go, as she can't very well stare at a screen in the middle of a fight. She could even have her phone running a program in sync with the one in her brain, by having it process information in real time (like, say, the Correspondence 1 view of the surrounding environment) and feed it audibly through the ear buds.

Output, by contrast, relies on muscle movement and voice. She could type out the long strings of data she processes into a keyboard or mobile device, sending magickal programs she's created out into the world. With her voice, she could speak what seems like technical gibberish to people and affect their minds (or bodies, since a person's biological "peripherals" are slave to the "motherboard" in their head). A kind of mind virus or body hacking. I also had an idea where, if separated from her normal tools, she could locate a payphone or other landline, call a seemingly invalid number, and speak 1s and 0s into the receiver, to send a Effect onto the telephone network.

As implied above, the act of gaining more Arete involves "upgrading" the system in her head. She'd stick a bunch of wires and electrodes over her face, and stare deeply into a computer monitor as it feeds an "Update" to her brain. What follows would be a Seeking, where she worked to process the information flooding into her and make sure it integrates with her mind. Afterwards, her internal OS gains greater processing power, and a greater ability to interface with her regular mind. The end goal being to make the two fully integrated, and herself enlightened enough to see herself as another node in the system of Reality.

Did I mention her nature is Machine?

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
            One is more than an individual who happens to be born in a random family. One is an emanation of the family line, the noble cascade of blood that flows loftily through the ages and echoes throughout history. Love your children, care for your siblings, respect your parents, revere your ancestors and honor your family. Heaven favors those who do, and the ancestors will shine them with fortune. Heaven scorns those who do not, and the ancestors' cries of anguish will revertebrate to your life. Achieve greatness and shine your name, and your kin sings together with you. Bloody your hands and smear your name, and you dishonor all you love and love you back.

An Awakened Confuscian scholar-slash-gentry, who excels in Correspondence, Entropy, Spirit and dabbles in Prime but practically blind to other Spheres. I'm not actually an Ascension player, so I have no idea what his Practice and Instruments would be (are they even the correct word I'm using?? )
            "Practice and Instruments" are probably correct for M20, but earlier editions combine them into one idea: Foci.

Like Confucianism overall, Filial Piety is integrated into one's entire life and therefore hard to distill into distinct magical Foci. You refrain from cutting any hair on your person in order to respect the body you inherited from your parents--and therefore magic? You need something additional that is more active. The first Practice that comes to mind is prayer to ancestors, and rituals associated with veneration of ancestors. As for Instruments, important items passed down by your ancestors would probably be good. But I think to get enough Foci you'd want to expand beyond Filial Piety into other parts of Confucianism. The I-Ching can be used for all kinds of divination and sensory magic, particularly with Correspondence and Entropy (bring an actual I-Ching and yarrow stalks--your ST will probably be impressed). The Book of Rites gives more options for ritual magic. The Confucian concept of Rectification of Names is similar to Hermetic True Names, and can be used similarly.
            Last edited by Faradn; 02-22-2017, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faradn View Post
              "Practice and Instruments" are probably correct for M20, but earlier editions combine them into one idea: Foci.

Like Confucianism overall, Filial Piety is integrated into one's entire life and therefore hard to distill into distinct magical Foci. You refrain from cutting any hair on your person in order to respect the body you inherited from your parents--and therefore magic? You need something additional that is more active. The first Practice that comes to mind is prayer to ancestors, and rituals associated with veneration of ancestors. As for Instruments, important items passed down by your ancestors would probably be good. But I think to get enough Foci you'd want to expand beyond Filial Piety into other parts of Confucianism. The I-Ching can be used for all kinds of divination and sensory magic, particularly with Correspondence and Entropy (bring an actual I-Ching and yarrow stalks--your ST will probably be impressed). The Book of Rites gives more options for ritual magic. The Confucian concept of Rectification of Names is similar to Hermetic True Names, and can be used similarly.
              The branch of Confuscianism that developed in my country deals heavily with the concepts of Li (the inner principle of how things work) and Qi (the material reality itself), and how the four cardinal virtues emanate from the human heart and manifest in the world, so I could go with that. Oh, and the veneraion given to renowned scholars of the previous generations would work nicely with ancestor worship. So would the various countryside village customs and traditions, some Confuscian but some being remants of older Taoist/Buddhist/Shamanistic traditions.

Thanks for the input!

Comment

Working...
              X