Potion Brewing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potion Brewing

I've been thinking about brewing potions in Mage. I assume that a potion can be used as the focus instrument for an effect such as Life 3 attribute boosting where each success on the Arete roll can increase an attribute by one or, if using the dividing successes rule could be used to increase duration instead.

However could an alchemist mage brew a potion beforehand and by using the extended rolls rules for rites garner a whole bunch of successes imbued into the potion so that whoever drinks it later gets the attribute boost?

Assuming that's reasonable, and doesn't need any other spheres (except maybe Matter to 'bind' it to the liquid), would it be sensible to require the mage to spend some of those successes on how long the potion stays fresh?

i.e. If the alchemist manages to accrue a total of 8 successes when brewing the potion could he dedicate 5 to increasing the attribute, 1 to the duration (= one scene), and 2 to the length of time before it 'goes off'' (= one day)?

Would that make brewing potions too useful? and what penalties does someone who has drunk such a potion have? I assume it would count as an ongoing effect thus increasing the difficulty of further effects?

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
    However could an alchemist mage brew a potion beforehand and by using the extended rolls rules for rites garner a whole bunch of successes imbued into the potion so that whoever drinks it later gets the attribute boost?
    No. That would be making an artefact and would require Prime.

Comment

I remember reading something about Alchemy in Sorcerers Crusade.
      IIRC
      The person who imbibed the potion gets poisoned, unless the mage was present (and his Arete) in that case the potion worked as intended.
      Maybe there is more.
      Otherwise:
      You could get it with Prime 2 with appropriate tass.

Time 4 with the trigger being drinking the potion.

Prime 4 and an Artifact-bottle transforming every suitable liquid placed inside into an potion with the desired effect.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

So what would be the right system for creating a one shot artefact like a potion? I'm using the 20th anniversary rules and they're pretty light when it comes to making Wonders.

Comment

The most up to date source would be Forged by Dragons Fire

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

M20 states that you can make "temporary artefacts" with Prime 3, but doesn't really elaborate on this much, instead saying "wait till Book of Secrets!!"

Revised has it that you can make Charms (Artefacts with charges) at Prime 2, and this would be the main way I'd expect for potions to work. Each point would represent a single portion, and successes rolled would be standard Artefact rules.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
              M20 states that you can make "temporary artefacts" with Prime 3, but doesn't really elaborate on this much, instead saying "wait till Book of Secrets!!"

Revised has it that you can make Charms (Artefacts with charges) at Prime 2, and this would be the main way I'd expect for potions to work. Each point would represent a single portion, and successes rolled would be standard Artefact rules.
              In Dragons Fire and Revised, you can make with Prime 3 if you have Tass with the adequate ressonance. With Prime 4, it doesn't matter the ressonance (same goes for all Prime effects - adequate ressonance for Charms - Prime 2; otherwise, Prime 3, and so on)

Comment

Originally posted by Karlgust View Post

In Dragons Fire and Revised, you can make with Prime 3 if you have Tass with the adequate ressonance. With Prime 4, it doesn't matter the ressonance (same goes for all Prime effects - adequate ressonance for Charms - Prime 2; otherwise, Prime 3, and so on)

I thought is was Prime 3 with Tass, Prime 4 with Quint, but the ressonance always matters since it will usually lead to associated effects.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

Comment

You could make Charms that are very similar to what your are trying to do

Nevermind already stated. Sorry half asleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post

I thought is was Prime 3 with Tass, Prime 4 with Quint, but the ressonance always matters since it will usually lead to associated effects.
                    Yes, I guess you're right.

I have a question thou, can Prime be used to shape ressonance? Because if it can, that's pointless anyway

And I say it could, after all the Union always sanitize the Nodes they conquer (so, if they change nephandic nodes into "neutral pattern" ones...)

Comment

Originally posted by Karlgust View Post

Yes, I guess you're right.

I have a question thou, can Prime be used to shape ressonance? Because if it can, that's pointless anyway

And I say it could, after all the Union always sanitize the Nodes they conquer (so, if they change nephandic nodes into "neutral pattern" ones...)
                      Resonance is more of a Mind thing. You probably need Prime and Mind to do things to resonance.

Either that or make a Soulgem with Prime 4 which can change the resonance of any quintessence you hold into your own.

Comment

Yeah, you can "attune" the etherial emanations of things with Prime 1 or 2, I can't remember now, to make it easier to use Corr effects (and if you attune an object or living being to you, you don't need to spend 1 succes to hit the target, it's like using the effect on the Mage himself). So, Prime manipulate the etherial energies; mind manipulate the "psichic energy". I guess one is the consequence of the other

I use Prime 1 for atunement to make magikal tracking devices. You can also blood Bond someone (yep, like vampires), using Prime 2 to "adjust" the target to yourself... Making him think about you the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
                          No. That would be making an artefact and would require Prime.

Actually, I dare say there *is* a way to make potions work without them being wonders, or using time 4: Simply through the Mage's belief and handling it as a sort of hanging ritual, no different than any other focusing of an effect and taking the last steps of the ritual when it's time to kick things into gear.

There are two caveats to this of course:

1) It's like a hanging ritual; Nothing else can be cast in the meanwhile, lest it's aborted. That means you can only have one single working potion at once, rules-wise. This works well along the lines of 'It is a fickle thing, this potion, and should be consumed as soon as possible lest it spoils'
                          2) The potion only works on themself or if the mage *witnesses* it being drunk by someone else and has used the appropriate spheres to affect others. It is not an item that anybody can take with them and use whenever they like.

> Classic WoD Dice Probability Chart
                          > Classic WoD Dice Statistics Calculator
                          > Classic WoD Alternative Armor System
                          > Classic WoD Alternative Damage Roll System

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

Actually, I dare say there *is* a way to make potions work without them being wonders, or using time 4: Simply through the Mage's belief and handling it as a sort of hanging ritual, no different than any other focusing of an effect and taking the last steps of the ritual when it's time to kick things into gear.

There are two caveats to this of course:

1) It's like a hanging ritual; Nothing else can be cast in the meanwhile, lest it's aborted. That means you can only have one single working potion at once, rules-wise. This works well along the lines of 'It is a fickle thing, this potion, and should be consumed as soon as possible lest it spoils'
                            2) The potion only works on themself or if the mage *witnesses* it being drunk by someone else and has used the appropriate spheres to affect others. It is not an item that anybody can take with them and use whenever they like.
                            I'm interested in this hanging ritual thing.
                            Is this RAW? Just curious, I steal it right away for my Alchemist.

Comment

I'm a bit disappointed in how most of the interpretations demand higher level spheres, I was thinking that brewing potions would be something less experienced mages would be able to do. By the time you get to Prime 4/Time 4 (as well as your primary spheres) most mages don't really need to be messing about with brewing potions as I'd expect them to create effects with far fewer Arete rolls than before. Feels like a neglected option in the rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X