M20 Initiative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
    The way M20 does it has it so much slower, first attack round, then defence round, then damage round.
    You're doing it wrong. Those aren't rounds they're phases of an action. Each character acts on their initiative, declares what they're doing and then resolves what they're doing. That's as fast as it can get.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post

You're doing it wrong. Those aren't rounds they're phases of an action. Each character acts on their initiative, declares what they're doing and then resolves what they're doing. That's as fast as it can get.
      So everyone says on their turn

"I attack this guys, avoid this guy, and now damage"

That doesn't make any sense. You'd be rolling damage for mr turn one before mr turn two got a chance to doge.
      Last edited by Saikou; 02-02-2017, 11:09 AM.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Attacker rolls to hit, defender (out of initiative order, but still not done anything yet) decides whether to dodge or not. If he does without splitting dice pool or extra actions then he is done for the turn under most cases.

The main reason I've always seen the declare phase for is it gives the top of the initiative the chance to dodge the bottom of the initiative's attackers. Why they would do this over just attacking them and putting them on the defensive I'm not really sure as in most cases thats the better option, but not always.

If you want a more active combat game just give everyone an attack action and a defence action per turn. Combat will take quite a bit longer though because not only are you adding an additional step but less damage will be dealt on average. But if your game makes heavy use of combat (ours does not) then it shouldn't bother anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post

So everyone says on their turn

"I attack this guys, avoid this guy, and now damage"

That doesn't make any sense. You'd be rolling damage for mr turn one before mr turn two got a chance to doge.
          As I said, you're doing it wrong, the Defense phase is not where you decide how to defend against others attacks it's where others defend against the attack you just rolled.

Thus each PC or NPC in the initiative order acts in turn. If they attack then the person they are attacking gets to decide if and how they will defend against that attack during the attackers turn. If they've already used their action and didn't opt to defend then they're defenceless, if they haven't used their action yet they can opt to fully defend or split their action and roll the dice at that point

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post

As I said, you're doing it wrong, the Defense phase is not where you decide how to defend against others attacks it's where others defend against the attack you just rolled.

Thus each PC or NPC in the initiative order acts in turn. If they attack then the person they are attacking gets to decide if and how they will defend against that attack during the attackers turn. If they've already used their action and didn't opt to defend then they're defenceless, if they haven't used their action yet they can opt to fully defend or split their action and roll the dice at that point
            That actually sounds harder to keep track of than just saying "What is everyone doing? Ok, let's do it"

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

I'm really not sure how you think this works.

The M20 rules in application are the exact same as the V20 or W20 rules, but there's no declaration phase. The highest Initiative character just goes instead of having to wait for everyone else to declare their intent first, and whoever goes last doesn't have to try to remember what they said they were going to do after any aborted actions to defend themselves.

Comment

Ya I don't see the problem. It's pretty simple with nothing to keep track of. Each player or npc says what they are doing when its there turn in initiative order. The only thing to remember is if you used your action to dodge befor your initiative you have no action. Seems pretty simple to me.

Comment

Working...
                X