Mage Ascension: Peace, Love and Ascension / Technocracy: Cold War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage Ascension: Peace, Love and Ascension / Technocracy: Cold War

Im fascinated by the 60's. The Era, the Culture, The Visions.. and i been hitting this idea of
    "What if Mage was Set during the 60's". I mean is an interesting period for several traditions, the LSD culture and Awakening go Hand in Hand, The masification of Indian culture (Thank you The Beatles!) allowed a major contact with The Cult of Ectasy and The Euthanatoi, the Resurgance of New Age magick (wiccans and hippies) and so on.

as well at the same time, the idea of the technocracy not knowing who to support (Either the ideals of Capitalism or Communism) and the massive bloom of the "Spy Game" in the pop media.

I was wondering if anyone is interested in helping me working out the 1960's era for Mage as a setting - And if we are lucky, to be picked up by the Onyx Path Council-

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

I actually was recently thinking about creating a one-shot module set in the Cold War 1960s following a Technocracy amalgam of spies and mountaineers tasked with installing a listening post in the garou-occupied Himalayas on the boundary between Akashayana and Chakravanti territory.
    Inspiration for the story is based on real events:
    http://www.rockandice.com/lates-news...-of-nanda-devi
    https://www.wired.com/2013/04/cia-himalayan-spies/

Comment

This certainly is an interesting time period in Mage. The Virtual Adepts have only very recently become a member of the Council of Nine, so there might be a huge amount of distrust on them by many of the other traditions, but others might be rejuvenated with confidence now that the Seat of Correspondence had a Tradition to sit at it at long last.
      Perhaps the only reason the Virtual Adepts were trusted was because of Etherite intervention to smooth the transition over.

There may also be a vocal group of Virtual Adepts who remain loyal to the Union, all of which could play a part in the paranoia aspect of the Cold War era.

This is also more or less when the Ascension War officially started, so there could be all sorts of espionage bits about trying to figure out what the Technocrats are doing, and learn about their activities and the Pogrom before it comes into effect. For example. The HIT mark IV is already well established by this point. But perhaps the Iterators are already underway thinking up plans and prospects for the dreaded HIT mark V, a new weapon which, once instated in the early 80s, will be one of the most formidable weapons the Technocracy has at their disposal.
      A campaign like this might even feature a few of its "very early" prototypes as you approach the 70s.
      Last edited by Saikou; 02-01-2017, 12:31 AM.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running Chapter 37: The Shadow Coven

Comment

I think this is a fabulous idea although I suspect there's not enough of a difference between a 60s Mage and a modern Mage to make a whole sourcebook out of it.

Comment

The biggest thing, I think, is what are the Virtual Adepts like in a pre-personal computer, pre-internet, pre-digital era. You'd have to get into details about analog era technology, as well as pre-punk non-hippy intellectualism. Also, what sort of period science-fiction and scientific advancements are influencing the Sons of Ether. Atomic energy - excuse me, "ATOMICS!!!" - are probably still all the rage. There's also issues of race relations, gender roles, homosexuality and other areas in which society is a lot different than what we are used to now a days.

As far as period information and influences:

All of Tom Wolfe's work from the period. The Kandy-Kolored Tangerine-Flake Streamline Baby, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, The Pump House Gang, and Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing The Flak Catchers. And while not written in the 60s, The Right Stuff.

Hunter S. Thompson's Hell's Angels.

John ls Carré's spy novels from the period. Especially The Spy Who Came in From the Cold. (If you have any interest in the NWO at all, you really should read it.)

All of the Beatles albums from the decade. And most of their films.

And from a Technocracy perspective, if you can find it, The 1960s decade sourcebook from the Spycraft RPG is pretty fun and informative.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
            The biggest thing, I think, is what are the Virtual Adepts like in a pre-personal computer, pre-internet, pre-digital era. You'd have to get into details about analog era technology, as well as pre-punk non-hippy intellectualism. Also, what sort of period science-fiction and scientific advancements are influencing the Sons of Ether. Atomic energy - excuse me, "ATOMICS!!!" - are probably still all the rage. There's also issues of race relations, gender roles, homosexuality and other areas in which society is a lot different than what we are used to now a days.
            I imagine that the Virtual Adepts would be using those big Room sized computers for their heavy lifting, but would also use all kinds of tech which had a hand in communication such as the Telephone, Television, Radio, even the Telegraph system would still be in popular use.
            Their's isn't a philosophy built on computers, it's one built on data and communications, especially networks.

As for the Etherites, They've still got all their old Pre WWII era tricks about them to get excited about, back when all things were made of Glass and Brass. But yeah, the excitement for Atomic stuff was rife. Perhaps there were a number of Etherites who were working one an army of Atomic Supermen to do their bidding.

Let's not forget the Space Race. Ok, so the Technocracy already got to the Moon over a Century ago, but this isn't about who can get to space first, it's about making space travel part of the consensus, bringing the mundane moon as a solid piece of reality, and strengthening the gauntlet on all sides.
            I bet there would be a lot of Dreamspeakers who would be quite alarmed about this, and many of them would have Verbena and Ecstatic Friends who could support their efforts to sabotage or dissuade space travel.

On the other hand, the Etherites might be all for space travel becoming more mundane, but would prefer it if it was done their way, not the Technocratic way. So yeah, influence battles ahoy.

Comment

Early Phreakers might go that far back. Virtual Adepts would be using Ma Bell's tools against her. They'd be using HAM radio. Wired telegraph might have been dead, but Morse was alive and well and living in the ether.

Space Race would be a very big deal. Don't forget the moment that walking on the Moon was revealed to the Consensus was also the moment the Faeries came back. (What did Armstrong and Aldrin really see up there, but subsequently forgot to the Mists?)

I particularly like the idea of conflict between Syndicate and NWO/Iteration X. Both Capitalism and Communism claimed to be Scientific approaches.

This setting sounds amazing. I'd play it.

Comment

Originally posted by GogariGlenRoss View Post
                Early Phreakers might go that far back. Virtual Adepts would be using Ma Bell's tools against her. They'd be using HAM radio. Wired telegraph might have been dead, but Morse was alive and well and living in the ether.
                The idea of a Virtual Adept pirate radio DJ in the 1960s is a pretty fun one.

And I think the telegraph was still being used into the early 1990s. The whole "We regret to inform you ..." DOD death telegram was still very much a thing during the Vietnam era.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

The idea of a Virtual Adept pirate radio DJ in the 1960s is a pretty fun one.

And I think the telegraph was still being used into the early 1990s. The whole "We regret to inform you ..." DOD death telegram was still very much a thing during the Vietnam era.

It was a big deal when they dropped the Morse requirement for a HAM license in the early 2000s.

Pirate radio? I love that. Some Cult of Ecstasy cabal learns to get over their suspicion of a Virtual Adept when the former Technocrat helps them set up an illegal radio station.

There is definitely enough material in this setting for a book.

Comment

Something else from the period that, IIRC, was pointed out in the revised Dreamspeaker tradition book, that the post-WW2 GI Bill had a huge impact on Native Americans, especially in the number of veterans who ended up getting law degrees and beginning the process of reclaiming the rights they were supposed to have under existing treaties with the federal government.

Also, the 1960s is when J. R. R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings became really popular, especially among various counter culture groups and college students. And Gerald Gardener had introduced (or reintroduced or invented, depending on your view of the whole thing) modern Wicca in 1954 and it was starting to find a home in the US and Australia in the 1960s.

The Prague Spring in 1968.

India's Hungryalist literary movement. Decide for yourself it's relation with the Euthanatos.

The publication of Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique.

And the rise of "art house" films, which provides an interesting way for mages (including early Virtual Adepts) to challenge and alter public perceptions and opinion.

Comment

I used to favor the idea of the Technocracy split into two large factions, each supporting one of the two superpowers and--more importantly--thier respective ideologies. But after more thought, I think the Technocracy is too good at being unified for that to happen. Maybe it's more like 1984 where Oceania and Eurasia and Eastasia are in a contrived cold war, agreed on by their leaders, to keep their populations in line.

With the Traditions I could see an Awakening boom as Baby Boomers come of age into a world effervescent with new ideas. There would be huge intergenerational conflict--centuries-old Masters trying to teach millennia-old practices to rebellious hippies who would rather mash different cultural traditions together willy-nilly, and add far more individual perspective to their magic than had been done before.

Comment

I think it's all but stated that the Cold War was mostly the Sleepers doing. The technocracy took advantage of the situation to sell weapons to both sides and generate enough fear to encourage research in military tech, allowing for a secure platform in which to introduce their latest works to the masses, nuclear arms being one of the central focus. Indeed they probably felt they had no choice but to introduce such power to many locations simultaneously in order to invoke MAD. This way the power of an atomic explosion can become part of accepted consensus without fear that the sleepers would actually use them.

However, the unified front of the union is just that, a front. Behind closed doors, there would be quite a bit of animosity and paranoia. NWO was almost certain to be backing the soviets whilethe Syndicate favoured Capitalism, yet it would have been the NWO who would encourage enterprises like NATO and the UN. So take your pick.

Comment

Working...
                        X