Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is seven Sphere dots too many to start with?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is seven Sphere dots too many to start with?

Beginning Mage characters are close to newly Awakened, as reflected by their low Arete. But if it is really only as lttle as a few months since Awakening, how did they learn so much magic? It seems like five dots would be a better amount--it gives them enough to work with while still being relative novices.

I'm interpreting the starting points in dependence of the Character in question.
    A newly awakened (more or less) has gained most of the dots in his first outbreak of magick.

A starting character with a few years as a mage under his belt has gained his dots through slow, hard work.

BTW The starting sphere dots are 6, not 7.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

I don't think so, it allows them to have a 3 in "their" sphere, while still having a side gig in a few others.

Comment

I agree with Nonsense (although I would point out that a player could invest a bunch of Freebie Points to buy a seventh Sphere dot at char gen; Seven represents the max one could reasonably start with, without taking a bunch of Flaws). What exactly the state of a Mage's magickal education is varies from person to person. And how easily they take to that knowledge also depends.

Some folks Awaken, but intuitively grasp aspects of Spheres more easily than others. Especially when it comes to the Mage's specialty Sphere, or any Sphere Natural merit they may have. That said, just because they can use a given Sphere at a given level doesn't mean they know that Sphere broadly. A person who just Awakened might be able to use Forces for fire magic, but not know much about other applications of it. A Storyteller or Player may decide that a Mage with only a few months experience is limited in what they can use a Sphere for. At least until they have time to expand their knowledge base. Backgrounds like Library and Mentor are good for this sort of thing.

Other Mages are new to the Awakening, but not to magic(k)al theory. Some were Occultists, or students/practitioners of various fields placed under Esoterica, Science, Technology, or the like. They had a foundation of familiarity with the mystical or scientific, so they had an easier time extrapolating to True Magick/Enlightened Science. Some may even have been Sorcerers, with experience practicing linear magic or technosorcery before they fully Awakened. In that case, they had dots in Sorcery Paths, that then were used to buy dots in Spheres. Both Linear and Dynamic magic(k)s use the same Focus (Paradigm, Practice, and Instruments), so the former Sorcerer merely applies the same training in a more open-ended, intuitive way.

And then there are those Mages who have all their Sphere dots spread wide, so they have the largest pool of sensory magic but little else. Having all Spheres at rank 1 is not something I would recommend for a starting character, but it is a valid way to start play. Hell, you might even be able to swing eight Sphere dots if you don't bother raising your Arete above 1.
        Last edited by Bluecho; 02-05-2017, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Also, this is a game about doing magic, so it's going to be kinda sucky if you can't really do that very well because of sphere limits. Spheres are one of the most likely expensive things to level up, so allowing fewer than 6 at start seems cruel to me.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 31b: Removed

Comment

It's stated in order of Hermes Revised that most Mages reach what is starting character rank within three years of the awakening, not several months.

To achieve the rank of Adept, the sixth degree within the Order, a Mage must acheive the third level of comprehension in any one sphere and the first level in any one other, that's actually LESS powerful than a starting character and it takes three years or less to reach it.

Comment

So no i think six dots in Spheres is all good

Coincidentally, you can have seven dots to start if you bought the seventh dot with freebie points, you've got just enough for 3 points of Arete and a 7th dot in Spheres.

That's where the old expression "in Mage, you don't get 15 freebie points, you get 3 dots of Arete and a seventh dot in spheres" comes from.

Comment

Strange, I never had PCs bother to take a seventh dot during character creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Zennis View Post
                  So no i think six dots in Spheres is all good

Coincidentally, you can have seven dots to start if you bought the seventh dot with freebie points, you've got just enough for 3 points of Arete and a 7th dot in Spheres.

That's where the old expression "in Mage, you don't get 15 freebie points, you get 3 dots of Arete and a seventh dot in spheres" comes from.

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                  Strange, I never had PCs bother to take a seventh dot during character creation.
                  Me neither, plus personally I am in much more danger to get a bunch of Backgrounds or Merits. So I would word the saying as follows

In Mage you don't get 15 freebies, you get 3 dots of Arete and up to 14 dots of crazy Backgrounds. Additionally your Willpower gets fueled by flaws.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

I think Initiates of the Arts someone puts a dent in the idea that starting characters are supposed to be "newly Awakened." There are creation rules for the truly new mage if you want to start earlier along in things.

Comment

It is just like with Garou or Kindred, beginning characters are assumed to have around an average of 10 years of training (Kindred can have much more though, as some twiddle their thumbs for centuries as ghouls). Apprentice level Mages only start with two points of Spheres and one Arete that cannot be raised during character creation.
                      Last edited by Aya Tari; 02-05-2017, 06:25 PM.

Comment

It is just like with Garou or Kindred, beginning characters are assumed to have around an average of 10 years of training (Kindred can have much more though, as some twiddle their thumbs for centuries as ghouls). Apprentice level Mages only start with two points of Spheres and one Arete that cannot be raised during character creation.
                        Reminds me of the rare Arete 1 with-8-one-point-spheres mage. "I can sense a bunch of stuff, but can't do a thing about it."

For Persona 3 players, this if basically Fuuka.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 31b: Removed

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post

Reminds me of the rare Arete 1 with-8-one-point-spheres mage. "I can sense a bunch of stuff, but can't do a thing about it."

For Persona 3 players, this if basically Fuuka.
                          Fuuka would at least have Correspondence 2, because like hell she's going out to fight shadows in person. She hunkered down back at base camp, and provided intel from afar. She'd probably also have either Forces 2 or Mind 3, since she also communicated with the team. Unless she had a radio, that is.

Comment

I don't think Apocalypse assumes 10 years after one's first change, probably more like 2 or 3 since its probably a year+ of training from first change to trial

Comment

I forgot it is 6 Sphere dots INCLUDING the mandatory Tradition Sphere dot.

10 years sounds way excessive, the 3 years Zennis menitioned sounds more likely.

Comment

Working...
                              X