Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauntlet striking

Hello

If I were to strike across the gauntlet (perhaps with a spell or with an object, or my hands), would I have to roll it crossing the gauntlet first then roll the attack? Would these be continued two seperate actions? If so, then would I need to roleplay opening up the gauntlet to let me strike through it then striking through it? I'm not quite understanding.

Originally posted by KingJohn View Post
    Hello

If I were to strike across the gauntlet (perhaps with a spell or with an object, or my hands), would I have to roll it crossing the gauntlet first then roll the attack? Would these be continued two seperate actions? If so, then would I need to roleplay opening up the gauntlet to let me strike through it then striking through it? I'm not quite understanding.
    You need Spirit magic to do anything with the gauntlet.
    Spirit 2 will allow you to "hit" things beyond the gauntlet. You would roll arete to build a spell that allows you to do this, the local gauntlet rating will determine how many successes you need at what difficulty, any extra can go into duration.

So, once the spell is cast where you can hit across the gauntlet, for the duration that it's active, you can roll any attacks or other actions that interact beyond the gauntlet.

Warning, if your ST uses the Avatar Storm, any part of you that touches the gauntlet (say to hit something) will mean the storm can harm you.)

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running Chapter 37: The Shadow Coven

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
      Warning, if your ST uses the Avatar Storm, any part of you that touches the gauntlet (say to hit something) will mean the storm can harm you.)
      Is this actually stated in RAW? Because I don't personally recall any mention of the Avatar Storm causing damage to a person using just Spirit 2 to touch across the Gauntlet.

If it is, I argue it shouldn't be the case. Not for lore reasons - such a rule would be consistent with the Avatar Storm - but rather for simple usability. It makes the Spirit Sphere even less worthwhile, if you don't even need to cross the Gauntlet to take damage. Then again, I'm not a fan of the Avatar Storm in general, and think it invalidates Spirit just as a matter of course, so I'm probably biased. It just seems unnecessarily punitive to me.

As if to say, "No, you can't go into the Umbra. No, you can't even defend yourself if a spirit tries to attack you, because each attack you make will necessitate a damage roll against you." I mean sure, you could use Spirit 3, Spirit 2 + Matter 2, or Prime 2 + Quintessence expenditure to create a weapon that can hurt spiritual beings (and it would be the weapon, not the Mage, who touched the Avatar Storm). But it's still a dick move to deprive the player of one of the Sphere's main features at that level. Especially if the character doesn't have Prime or Matter, or doesn't believe objects have spirits. In that case, the character has no recourse against Umbral foes.
      Last edited by Bluecho; 02-05-2017, 09:06 PM.

Comment

To be fair, wouldn't the spirit also be taking damage from the Avatar storm? It doesn't just hit mages. It hit's EVERYTHING that crosses the gauntlet.

Comment

No, it didn't. Werewolves specifically weren't affected. You had to have an awakened Avatar to be at risk, and the higher your Arete the worse the risk.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Indeed. It's also mentioned somewhere in Blood Treachery that mages can summon spirits through the gauntlet without risk, as a way to deal with the Umbra now that they can't cross. And I'm sure that somewhere it's mentioned that humans and sorcerers can cross safely.

The only way for the Avatar Storm to hurt a Spirit, it's if you're wearing it to shield your Avatar. And even then, that isn't true if you're using your familiar as a shield.

That's why I was surprised when the VE: Convention Book states that Void Engineers keeping the Avatar Storm in place to fend the Earth against Threat Null. Then again, as former mages, Threat Null spirits may be the exeption to the rule (maybe it's because they have keept their avatars, or something).

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
              Indeed. It's also mentioned somewhere in Blood Treachery that mages can summon spirits through the gauntlet without risk, as a way to deal with the Umbra now that they can't cross. And I'm sure that somewhere it's mentioned that humans and sorcerers can cross safely.

The only way for the Avatar Storm to hurt a Spirit, it's if you're wearing it to shield your Avatar. And even then, that isn't true if you're using your familiar as a shield.

That's why I was surprised when the VE: Convention Book states that Void Engineers keeping the Avatar Storm in place to fend the Earth against Threat Null. Then again, as former mages, Threat Null spirits may be the exeption to the rule (maybe it's because they have keept their avatars, or something).
              A lot of this is in the Infinite Tapestry. I'd look up specific pagenumbers, but that book requires dedication to look through.

I think Book of Madness Rev also mentioned that Nephandi are affected less by the Avatar storm than other mages, one of the properties of their inverted avatars.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running Chapter 37: The Shadow Coven

Comment

Working...
              X