Mage in the Real World

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage in the Real World

When I played WoD back in The Day™, I used to keep a scrapbook of real-world newspaper and magazine articles that felt like they came from the World of Darkness. It helped to set the mood and gave me inspiration for details in the game.

While newspaper clippings are quaint nowadays, I still keep a scrapbook.

If you see a link to an article that seems like something from Mage, please share it with everyone!
    Last edited by GogariGlenRoss; 02-12-2017, 10:40 PM.

For example, check out these snake hunters from India brought to Florida to track invasive species.

Comment

Check out this Correspondence spellcasting focus that the Syndicate is building in England.

Comment

What happens when Traditions win.

Comment

Hardly, that is an example of the Technocracy winning. The Technocracy encourages such behavior in the developing world because it keeps the Masses in the developed world from questioning the circumstances of their nations. It is a form of 'how can you say our nation is bad when things like that happens in other nations?'.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
            Hardly, that is an example of the Technocracy winning. The Technocracy encourages such behavior in the developing world because it keeps the Masses in the developed world from questioning the circumstances of their nations. It is a form of 'how can you say our nation is bad when things like that happens in other nations?'.
            Since when is Technocracy racist?

Comment

I don't know if the Technocracy actively facilitates ritual human sacrifice (they wouldn't in my campaign, anyway), but it certainly is part of their narrative that this is what the Traditions represent.

This is very much in the spirit of the kind of thing I was hoping to collect when I started this thread. Good find, Kammerer.

Comment

There's also stuff like this.

https://youtu.be/C9SiRNibD14

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running Chapter 37: The Shadow Coven

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer
                  Since when is Technocracy racist?
                  Always?, Since a good chunk of their leadership are White Englishman of the Victorian Era?, Since they encouraged and fostered the processes of colonization, slavery, and monopoly that would doom a lot of nowdays 3rd world?

Well, having vented that. I don't think that the Technocracy would encourage human sacrificie.
                  Unless it's in a properly technocratic way, like, say, as a "casualty of slave labor".

A lot of the Traditions are against it, too (or are just indifferent, or think that the sacrifice shouldn't be human) So, in a world where the Traditions had won, you should choose if you're among the group of people that believes sacrifice it's a good think (with the consequence of being elegible for the honor) .

Comment

I am sure that if it could make the alternative Consensuses of the Crafts or Traditions look bad, I am sure that the Union would have Men in Black in black face skinning African children alive in front of camera crews from the BBC.

Comment

Originally posted by Aya Tari View Post
                      I am sure that if it could make the alternative Consensuses of the Crafts or Traditions look bad, I am sure that the Union would have Men in Black in black face skinning African children alive in front of camera crews from the BBC.
                      You make it sound like only the technocracy are capable of atrocities.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running Chapter 37: The Shadow Coven

Comment

Nop, he just say that he's "sure" the technocracy it's capable of atrocities. And that it wouldn't be below them to make a few "traditional" human sacrifices if to make the trads look bad. Saying that in no way implies that the Traditions can't do as bad or worse.

I don't think it's below all of them, but many Technocrats are going to complain about such an extremist action as to kill people to frame the Trads. They can say it's an unnecessary and wastefull loss of human live and a mockery of the Union's mission of protecting the masses, they can even say that it's a violation of the Principles of Damian (the one about protecting the masses). The retort would be...well, the same that the Progenitors get when the Syndicate sells defective homeopaty to bastardize Traditional belief...that "it's for the greater good" (the prefered way of evading the technoctatic law).
                        Last edited by Aleph; 02-13-2017, 03:57 PM.

Comment

The majority of atrocities throughout history are committed by people with power. The Technocracy is the most powerful Mage faction, so it is the one who is most likely to use atrocities to maintain its control and power. The members of the Crafts and the Traditions might commit atrocities, but it is difficult for them to leverage atrocities to gain power, so it would be individuals committing atrocities rather than the group committing atrocities. Marauders commit atrocities because they are insane while Nephandi commit atrocities to encourage more atrocities.

For example, Nephandi might infiltrate an indigenous rights group and, through offering resources and training, encourage radical members to become more radical and drive out the moderate members. Eventually, the Nephandi will convince a handful of radical members to commit an atrocity against a local Technocracy stronghold. The Technocracy responds through blaming the entire group, attacks the most visible members of the group, and the survivors become more radical because they suffered at the hands of the authorities for something they did not do. Now, the Nephandi has a few dozen members who are willing to commit atrocities, meaning that the Nephandi can escalate the response from the Technocracy with more attacks against the local Technocracy strongholds. By the time the Nephandi is done, there is a civil war, hundreds of thousands of people are dead, and millions of people are refuges, and the Technocracy has spent years and resources fighting a worthless fight (and committing countless atrocities against the indigenous people). Oh, and if the Nephandi has done it right, the Nephandi does not even have to use any magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Me
                            Nop, he just say that he's "sure" the technocracy it's capable of atrocities. And that it wouldn't be below them to make a few "traditional" human sacrifices if to make the trads look bad. Saying that in no way implies that the Traditions can't do as bad or worse.
                            Originally posted by Aya Tari
                            ....Stuff...
                            Well, forget what I said.

Comment

So then the most likely scenario is that the Nephandi prompted the sacrifice and the Technocracy spread the footage.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Working...
                              X