Need more "new" Mage-like stuff

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need more "new" Mage-like stuff

This might come off as a bit weird but I'm looking to get myself a "Mage fix" without actually playing the game. What I mean is, I love the Mage setting and its concepts and themes and I would very much love to play Mage but currently can't... Consequently, I am somehow bored even while occupying myself with other things. I guess, it's just one of those days. So, I was wondering if anyone knows of relatively new very Mage-ish themed movies, books, TV series, music, comics, games or anything really that I could get my hands on. I've read and watched most of the stuff I know about from The Dresden Files, to the Matrix, to Neil Gaiman's Books of Magic, to Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell; with Marvel's Dr. Strange and The Magicians as probably the latest stuff I've seen. I'm really wondering what new stuff is out there. It's gotten bad enough that I'm reading the various translations of the Emerald Tablet and in an unrelated matter trying to work out the Iron Fist's rotes. Thanks in advance for any help.

Want to read my ongoing chronicle?

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

Comment

Sure. Is that the link to it under your post?

Comment

Yes it is.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 22: The Morning After

Comment

This Facebook group is a great resource for various white wolf/onyx path media: https://facebook.com/groups/862703457198327

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
            This is pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
              If I could have joined in there, I would've probably played an atypically open-minded Celestial Chorus religious scholar musician who wishes to find the Prime in every belief system and who has managed to get his mentor to (reluctantly) trade favors so that the Verbena would (probably reluctantly) accept him as a sort of visiting student as payment for a favor they owed someone who owes the chorus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

If I could have joined in there, I would've probably played an atypically open-minded Celestial Chorus religious scholar musician who wishes to find the Prime in every belief system and who has managed to get his mentor to (reluctantly) trade favors so that the Verbena would (probably reluctantly) accept him as a sort of visiting student as payment for a favor they owed someone who owes the chorus.
                That could be interesting. It'd create a lot of points for discussion between your scholar, the Templar, and the other Verbena players.
                I might also have referenced the Lovecraft story "the Music of Erich Zann" by now.

Comment

Cool. I like your treatment of the Nephandi.

In the first mage game I ran, I designed fairly large cabal with a lot of new members and several senior members who, while civil, weren't exactly friendly as they each (secretly) blamed one another for the disaster that resulted in their cabal needing all its new members. One of the NPCs everyone would meet was a Nephandus who, due to her trappings, everyone seemed to assume was a member of the Cult of Ecstasy. She was very friendly to everyone but was rarely with anyone for more than a scene at a time. Somewhere near the end of the story, they find one of the Cabal's important artifacts missing and that NPC nowhere to be found. They also soon discover that none of the teachers was her mentor and that each of them assumed she was a student of someone else. I had a lot of fun with that and the player's realization that they'd been seeing a spy snooping around their chantry for months (both in the story and in real time), and their later realization that she was one of the Nephandi.

Comment

CE Murphey's The Walker Papers
                    Megan Lindholm's Wizard of the Pigeons
                    Victor LeValle's The Ballad of Tom Black
                    Hero Games' The Ultimate Mystic (by long time WoD writer Dean Shomshak)
                    The Adjustment Bureau

I'm guessing you've already read Alan Moore's Promethea and Grant Morrison's The Invisibles?

Comment

Thanks!
                      I've seen adjustment Bureau (and enjoyed it) and read Promethea (enjoyed that too).
                      I'll check these out for sure.

Comment

Clive Barker's Lord of Illusions movie, while not new, has always been a favorite of mine. The same for Orson Scott Card's Tales of Alvin Maker series (although I found the final book incredibly disappointing).

Comment

I'll try and look that up. Do you reckon Lord of Illusions might feel dated to today's audiences or is it the kind of movie that is still very watchable in this day and age? As for the Alvin Maker series, I found the few books of it I read somewhat boring, particularly compared to the author's other works. Enchantment was very mage-ish too.

Comment

It's still watchable. Some of the effects might be a bit dated, since it's almost 20 years old at this point. But of all of Clive Barker's film work, it and the original Candyman are the best. (I'm kind of surprised no one has tried to make a good version of Rawhead Rex, now that I think about it.)

Alvin Maker is really more of a story about the morality of magic use than anything else. (And it suffers a little from the Native American stereotype bandwagon from the period the early books were written, IMO). But I'm also a huge fan of historical fiction and alternate history, so I was probably the target audience for it.

Also, Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman (I've never seen the film version) and Hacker by Ted Dekker (which has some really interesting ideas for Virtual Adepts or even technomancer Ecstatics)

The Ninth Gate is perhaps more Arcanum oriented than mage, but still a really good movie (with Johnny Depp before he turned into a parody of himself)

Richard Garfinkle's Celestial Matters, an "alternate history" story set in a world where Classical Greek cosmology is scientific truth, about an expedition into the celestial sphere to collect a piece of pure elemental fire from the Sun. If you're really into the mutable reality aspects of Mage, it's a must read.

And J. Gregory Keyes's Age of Unreason series, involving a young Ben Franklin and an aging Sir Isaac Newton as practitioners of alchemy getting involved in the plots of celestial beings. It also has a secret society of female natural philosophers/alchemists/scientists who pretty much scream to be worked into the history of the Sons of Ether.

Comment

I guess I'll give Lord of Illusions a go.
                              I couldn't get myself to relate to the characters in Alvin maker, but maybe it's a culture thing. I liked the Practical Magic movie.

Your description of Celestial Matters intrigues me and Age of Unreason sounds like a fun read.
                              Know anything about Magic Street? (Scott Card)

Comment

Working...
                              X