Azkaban for Mage

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Azkaban for Mage

Pretty simple question. Are there any cannon Prisons for Mage the Ascension?

If not, then have you used such prisons in your game? If so, where have these prisons been and what defences do they have?
    Last edited by Saikou; 02-16-2017, 09:59 AM.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 25: Going Down

Hmmh. On the Technocracy side, there is one, yes.

The construct of MECHA, described in the 'Book of Chantries', is pretty much an Ascension War gulag, where both Mages and Sorcerors (From either side for various reasons, probably) are kept and put to work.

On the Tradition side, I would say the closest thing are the Oubliettes that sit beneath the Council Complex in the realm of Horizon, described in the 'Horizon: Stronghold of hope' book.

Aside of those two, I'm not aware of any dedicated prison places that are described in the canon, I think. I'll weed through the material some more.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
    >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels

Comment

According to the Book of the Traditions (Rev.) imprisonment it's a way to castigate some offenses of poweful mages among the Traditions (usually, for acts of Hubris). Usually, this it's made by creating a Realm that it's antithetical to that mage's magick, by having a built-in Paradigm that's opposed to the one of the mage and/or building a strong countermagick buffer.

I'm pretty sure there's also another prison, one buit for the Inquisition, but I'm not sure where did I read that.

Comment

The Technocracy's bases all have containment capabilities. For me, a good start to any mixed chronicle is that the various Reality Deviants are all being processed and transferred through a small Technocracy base... Which isn't as perfect as it should be, allowing the PCs to escape through cooperation.

Comment

Mecha I and II, the technocratic's nightmares were the worse reality deviants are sent to be lobotomized, becoming mindless drone slaves and Tass sources to the Union.

I just love the construct Mecha, that idea has always trilled me

Comment

Reality itself has prisons for naughty mages: Paradox Realms.

Comment

Originally posted by Faradn View Post
              Reality itself has prisons for naughty mages: Paradox Realms.
              True, but I'm more interested in man-made prisons.

(in before someone comments on how Paradox Realms are totally man-made)

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 25: Going Down

Comment

Best Prison in WoD? The Mirror Realm, as accessed by Blood Magic. I'm sure True Mages with Spirit could reach it too (that goes without saying), but simply pushing someone through a mirror and trapping them in a tiny realm of the worst kind of introspection, where everything is a perversion, inversion or subversion of your personal history and reality... there are worse candidates for hell ;-)

Now it isn't man-made, exactly, however you can deliberately place someone inside of one. Furthermore, the realm is a reflection of whoever you leave in it, and that makes it a bit more man-made.

Serious question though; if a Mage with Spirit abandons a Mage without Spirit inside of a Mirror Realm or similar, are they stuck forever? Can they learn Spirit from scratch while imprisoned? I like the idea of a potent Mage being trapped for 20 years while he picks up the Spirit he needs, but is driven mad in the process, emerging as a Marauder to wreak havoc on the world...
                Last edited by 11twiggins; 02-17-2017, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post
                  Best Prison in WoD? The Mirror Realm, as accessed by Blood Magic. I'm sure True Mages with Spirit could reach it too (that goes without saying), but simply pushing someone through a mirror and trapping them in a tiny realm of the worst kind of introspection, where everything is a perversion, inversion or subversion of your personal history and reality... there are worse candidates for hell ;-)

Now it isn't man-made, exactly, however you can deliberately place someone inside of one. Furthermore, the realm is a reflection of whoever you leave in it, and that makes it a bit more man-made.

Serious question though; if a Mage with Spirit abandons a Mage without Spirit inside of a Mirror Realm or similar, are they stuck forever? Can they learn Spirit from scratch while imprisoned? I like the idea of a potent Mage being trapped for 20 years while he picks up the Spirit he needs, but is driven mad in the process, emerging as a Marauder to wreak havoc on the world...
                  A mage could use Correspondence 4 + Life 2 to put a person into a pocket outside of normal space, and close the "door" behind them. Add Time 4, and they are trapped outside of both time and space. Many dangerous threats to the world have been banished to pocket dimensions like that, when they were too powerful to just destroy.

One could probably justify trapping someone in the form of a magic mirror. And it would be a prison of space, not of spirit. Would be good for threats that can cross the gauntlet, but can't jump across space (if indeed it's possible for anyone but another Correspondence user to bridge the gap from Nowhere). If it's a Time exile as well, the prisoner won't even have a chance to attempt escape, because time doesn't flow for them in that state (Time 4 is the same level used to freeze people or objects, only resuming when the Effect stops).

As for a mage trapped in the Umbra, they'd turn into spirits because of...whatever it's called. Discorporation? Whatever, it's the rule for why mortals shouldn't stay too long in the Umbra. I mean, if the mage was trapped in a Horizon realm, it might not have that effect. But if it does, the mage would devolve into an Umbrood before they gained three levels in Spirit. Unless they were really diligent and lucky, or tried to leave hard enough to Wild Magic their way through.

Comment

Bluecho Well you could always play up the horror by having an NPC say that they SHOULD have been Discorporated by such a long stay...

"But... he spent over 100 years in an Umbral realm... how on earth could he still have his body? How did he hold himself together? I mean... short of some intervention from a higher power, his Will to survive, to get revenge, it must be impossibly strong."

Oh, and question. If a Mage is turned into a Spirit, do they keep their Spheres? I know that some of the most powerful Spirits have Spheres rather than Linear Powers, so it wouldn't be beyond question.

Comment

Hmmh, yes. If the Mage can actually survive on the other side (As in, have food and drink), and has the means to study things along their paradigm there (A technomancer would have trouble if there is nothing to build technological things from..), then they could at some point break out. 20 years might be quite a bit high, but that again depends on how well they can study over there.

Wether they would actually go Marauder or simply plain old mad is another topic.
                      They are two very distinct things, and I have a suspicion you'd simply have somebody with deep psychological problems on your hands afterwards..and a thirst for revenge.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
                      >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels

Comment

Bluecho Well you could always play up the horror by having an NPC say that they SHOULD have been Discorporated by such a long stay...

"But... he spent over 100 years in an Umbral realm... how on earth could he still have his body? How did he hold himself together? I mean... short of some intervention from a higher power, his Will to survive, to get revenge, it must be impossibly strong."

Oh, and question. If a Mage is turned into a Spirit, do they keep their Spheres? I know that some of the most powerful Spirits have Spheres rather than Linear Powers, so it wouldn't be beyond question.
                        From what I recall from The Infinite Tapestry, Discorporated mages lose their full Spheres. Instead, they are left with spirit charms reflective of their most used Rotes from when they were human. If a mage threw fireballs around a lot, they retained that ability. If they wracked folks with fear, they could do that. For perspective, I seem to recall the amount of such powers being low on average. A typical discorporated mage might be able to count the spirit charms they end up with on one hand.

Probably because the Umbra is taking a fundamentally Dynamic being, and boiling them down to their most archetypal form. Spiritual Flanderization, if you will. As you can see, not a desirable fate.

Comment

If the Mage have Life and Prime, perhaps he can avoid discorporation by constantly keeping reinforcing his life pattern.

A technomancer may try to "develop" his "psychic abilities" in order to use his effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

Hmmh, yes. If the Mage can actually survive on the other side (As in, have food and drink), and has the means to study things along their paradigm there (A technomancer would have trouble if there is nothing to build technological things from..), then they could at some point break out. 20 years might be quite a bit high, but that again depends on how well they can study over there.

Wether they would actually go Marauder or simply plain old mad is another topic.
                            They are two very distinct things, and I have a suspicion you'd simply have somebody with deep psychological problems on your hands afterwards..and a thirst for revenge.
                            There's no Consensus there, so surely with a Vulgar Life effect he could make himself Immortal and not need food or drink, for a measly 1 or 2 Permanent Paradox? Like there's no Consensus to stop them, in fact it might not even be vulgar... just end the effect before you return to earth? Genuinely curious, not sure about private consensus in empty realms.

Ah, yes, that's a good point. They'd just be insane. However, an insane Mage will quickly become a Marauder, since their lack of mental stability will promote high levels of Paradox and serious Quiet.

Comment

As far as I understand it, it would be coincidental, unless the rules of the Realm strictly forbid it... Like being in the "realm of mortality" for example...

Comment

Working...
                              X