Questions about the Jann

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about the Jann

In Lost Paths (p. 112), it says that the Aamar of the Djinn (a particularly potent form of Umbra Spirit) will often take human lovers and, if they are of the opposite sex, one of the may bear a hybrid child, a jann. I was wondering if there were any specific rules concerning the jann?

I couldn't find anything official on this anywhere.
    Some people tried something of the sort a long time ago on RPG.net I think. I don't think it ever finished.
    I would use the god-blooded rules from exalted second edition scroll of heroes as a sort of quick fix, using the charms from Lost Paths for their powers.

Comment

I was thinking about making them the equivalent of Dhampyr from KotE, which them capable of learning Gifts instead of Disciplines (maximum level equal to AgeĆ·100, rounded up), with Yang Chi replacing Rage and Yin Chi replacing Gnosis.
      Last edited by Aya Tari; 02-21-2017, 07:45 PM.

Comment

That could work.

Comment

Just to ask, how (specifically) do you plan to incorporate their mystic Djinn powers?

Comment

Well, the Jann would be much more limited than the Jinn. They could do minor forms of magic (represented by Gifts and Rites), would have phenomenal luck (represented by Joss), and would be able to heal from practically anything (represented by Chi). They would have the physical advantages of Dhampyr, but they would lack P'o (for better or worse). Presumably, they could ask their Jinn parent for favors, but the exact cost of those favors would depend on the parent.

Comment

I see. Sounds good. Just a major thematic change from child of death-spirit-thing and everything works I guess.

Comment

Blood treachery have rules about nefhilins, the scions of high umbrals gods and demons, if I'm not mistaken

Comment

But Jinn are neither.

Comment

How well could they fit the Jann though, in terms of adapting their ruleset? (nefhilins)

Comment

Not very well. Nephilium are Mages that consider the High Umbra home (-1 difficulty to Mind and Spirit in the High Umbra, receive +2 dice to social rolls with High Umbra spirits because they are feared, are immune to the threats associated with prolonged exposure to the High Umbra, and may physically enter the High Umbra with a Mind/Spirit effect). They must take 3 points worth of physical flaws without compensation and gain a level three Resonance associated with their parent. Given the antipathy of Jinn to Mages, I think they would drown any Jann child if it would end up like the Nephilium.

Comment

It does sound like a poor fit as the Jann are not likely to be mage-like. I'd rather just dump them with Jinn charms.
                        I find the Dhampyr solution more elegant.

Comment

Thank you. I will try to write up the exact rules and post them sometime.

Comment

Working...
                          X