Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umbra

I hope you're all having a good day.
    So, was wondering, is it possible for a mage to meditate and/or collect quintessence in the spirit world faster and/or more efficient than it is in the skinlands/physical world?
    Also as far as I know there's no paradox in umbra, right?

Not faster and not more efficient.

Paradox exists, but magick is pretty much always coincidental. So you are safe if you don't botch...

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

I can't see how going to the umbra would get you quintessence any faster and more efficiently than hanging around a powerful node or traveling from node to node that you have access to by virtue of your tradition. Any particular method you are referring to? Maybe transforming stuff into quintessence or something?

Comment

I think if you have enough Prime to manage that, you can do it on either side of the gauntlet. Maybe safer on the other side, but I'd imagine the same speed and efficiency.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
          I think if you have enough Prime to manage that, you can do it on either side of the gauntlet. Maybe safer on the other side, but I'd imagine the same speed and efficiency.
          Safer? How many spirits are going to stand idly by while you start siphoning off their power? If the node is in a natural place, you can bet a Naturae is going to be angry about that, while it's it's more urban, there will certainly be a Pattern Spider or two who would try and stop you. Not to mention what would happen if a pack of Garou happen to spot you in the act?

If you're going to meditate, that might be a bit better, but then you'll be spending about 30 minutes to an hour in the spirit world. You better hope something nasty isn't going to try and worm their way into your body, or leach off the power you're trying to absorb.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 31b: Removed

Comment

2 things:

The Umbra may or may not have more Nodes than Earth, but it likely has more Tass. However a given kind of Tass might be the food of one or more Umbrood races. Tread carefully.

Also as per the Spirit Kiss rote, sime Umbrood can give you Quintessence if you have enough Prime (2 or 3). Usually they will want something in return.

Comment

I was referring to spacecat's "transforming stuff into quintessence" part, which was a Prime 4 effect that works instantaneously if I recall correctly. I assume it would be distintegrating slumbering, non-sentient spirits of objects and absorbing the raw quintessence they were made of when used on the other side of the gauntlet.

Comment

So, hypothetically speaking, let's say 1) I pierce the gauntlet, 2) "eat" the spirit that may or may not be protecting the place by turning it into quintessence, after which weaker spirits will probably flee, then 3) "eat" the spirit matter in the area, then jump back before something really big and scary finds me (With the blessing of a powerful rival spirit maybe so I don't gain the eternal emnity of spirits in general or at least am not the only one who experiences reprisal)... How long would that ideally take and How much Quintessence would I have gained?

Compare to using Forces and Prime and transforming electrical power taken from an industrial grade power distributor transformer into a steady stream of quintessence (ideally with the address registered as a factory or something and with other measures to ensure the technocracy doesn't notice me), how much Quintessence will that likely get? Actually, how do I figure this second option out?

Are there any variables that need to be worked out or established by the storyteller here?

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post
                  So, hypothetically speaking, let's say 1) I pierce the gauntlet, 2) "eat" the spirit that may or may not be protecting the place by turning it into quintessence, after which weaker spirits will probably flee, then 3) "eat" the spirit matter in the area, then jump back before something really big and scary finds me (With the blessing of a powerful rival spirit maybe so I don't gain the eternal emnity of spirits in general or at least am not the only one who experiences reprisal)... How long would that ideally take and How much Quintessence would I have gained?

Compare to using Forces and Prime and transforming electrical power taken from an industrial grade power distributor transformer into a steady stream of quintessence (ideally with the address registered as a factory or something and with other measures to ensure the technocracy doesn't notice me), how much Quintessence will that likely get? Actually, how do I figure this second option out?

Are there any variables that need to be worked out or established by the storyteller here?
                  1 quintessence per point of essence of the spirit

Comment

For sucking quint from the grid I would go for either Prime 4 to dissolve the Pattern of the electrical power, or Forces 3/ Prime 3 to transform the power into quint.
                    1 Quint per success and the necessity of a coverage for the huge amount of kWh needed.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

So I'm guessing a quick 1 scene raid will get you an amount of quint equal to the spirit's, plus a bit more from the consumption of spirit matter. I'm guessing this will net around less than 30 Quintessence in a scene at the risk of death and with the chance of getting a significantly smaller amount or a much smaller chance of getting more than this. (The smaller spirits seem to have 20 to 25 and are liable to spend some of it fighting you)

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post
                        For sucking quint from the grid I would go for either Prime 4 to dissolve the Pattern of the electrical power, or Forces 3/ Prime 3 to transform the power into quint.
                        1 Quint per success and the necessity of a coverage for the huge amount of kWh needed.
                        So I'm guessing a starting character will get around 10ish successes after a few hours of work casting the quintessence collecting spell, spending maybe 5 successes on Duration and 5 on getting Quintessence, this will net you 5 Quintessence per what time increment?

Comment

Sorry to jump in with a question, but it seems related. Can anyone advise where I might find more information about Paradox Spirits? Where they dwell, their nature, etc. I recall reading something - I think Masters of the Art a while ago - but haven't seen much else since.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

So I'm guessing a starting character will get around 10ish successes after a few hours of work casting the quintessence collecting spell, spending maybe 5 successes on Duration and 5 on getting Quintessence, this will net you 5 Quintessence per what time increment?
                            If you want a duration I would use damage over time for the mechanics.

Comment

Originally posted by Monalfie
                              Can anyone advise where I might find more information about Paradox Spirits? Where they dwell, their nature, etc. I recall reading something - I think Masters of the Art a while ago - but haven't seen much else since.
                              The Basics of Revised and 2ยบ ed have some. Then in the old Book of Madness (not the Revised one) there was a big section about Paradox with spirits (and a diferent clasification than Revised). The Book of Worlds has a section about paradox Relams and some spirits. There's less info about them in modern books that one would think (but I hope than in future M20 books we will have some sections and new stuff about them).

Comment

Working...
                              X