Umbra

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post

If you want a duration I would use damage over time for the mechanics.
    Well, I'm trying to make a running effect that regularly collects quintessence (Into a periapt or something maybe). But if I can't do that, it means, I'm stuck with a several hours long ritual that would get me around 1 or 2 Quintessence per hour assuming I don't screw it up. This kinda looks like the rate of collection for a near starting character.

So, for characters of similar build, risking life and limb in the spirit world could get you around maybe 20 to 30 quintessence with a big chance of dying or of becoming a target for hostile spirits (and maybe even suffering a fate worse than death) while the "gathering it from electricity" method gives you a steady stream of 1 or 2 an hour for several hours in a much safer manner I guess.

So is there any way to get at an effect that regularly collects quintessence while I'm not manning it that isn't a Wonder?

Comment

If it where that easy, then Nodes wouldn't be worth the trouble.

And everyone and their dogs would do it.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Indeed.

Looking at the stealing Quintessence from the Umbra method more closely, I find that it would run a bit more like this:

You'd need to spend several hours to build up dome Prime 3 + Spirit 3 effect to keep you from being killed by the spirit. Something to last the day and still have enough successes to give you a reasonable amount of safety. Then you'd probably want to cast a rite to enchant your mystic katana, or whatever weapon you have, for a scene so that the damage it deals to the spirits essence is fed to you in the form of quintessence. Then, assuming you confront something like a Jaggling that doesn't run away, you'd probably get Quintessence of 30 at best, but more likely something like 15 or less if it runs off or spends essence during the fight. Then you'd have maybe 5 minutes (a rite with 2 rolls?) to eat the substance of the spirit world and collect maybe 3 more Quintessence before you risk something else coming along and finding you.

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post
          If it where that easy, then Nodes wouldn't be worth the trouble.

And everyone and their dogs would do it.
          And even a wonder requiring arete 4, Prime 4, & Forces 2 would likely only get you maybe 2 Quint per hour, and cost over 20 Quintessence to create to begin with. Not to mention it'll likely consume 3% of the Doel Nuclear Powerplant's hourly capacity (1.025*109 Joules per second according to some guy on the net) assuming a lightning bolt can be made from nothing using one point of Quintessence.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

And even a wonder requiring arete 4, Prime 4, & Forces 2 would likely only get you maybe 2 Quint per hour, and cost over 20 Quintessence to create to begin with. Not to mention it'll likely consume 3% of the Doel Nuclear Powerplant's hourly capacity (1.025*109 Joules per second according to some guy on the net) assuming a lightning bolt can be made from nothing using one point of Quintessence.
            Hum... That's a good amount... And I tell you, it IS worthed (I assume the Technocracy would keep several hidden nuclear powerplants connected to their Primal Batteries (Periapts) to collect the raw etherial energies

Comment

Working...
            X