No announcement yet.

Cyborg Enforcers...Advices?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's presented as a Technomancer only thing caused by the difference in paradigms. Details are on page Nine and Ten. But the way it's described I could see mystics of a certain sort making use of it.

Comment

Oh, thats bullshit... Why do the techie can do those super freaking awesome things so easily that ANYONE could use but the mystics with centuries to thousands of years of experience can't? Oh no, thats not right.

Besides, I dont like to simply veto stuff for one or another group just randomly

(On the brighter side, its good to refresh my memory about the Union using industrial mass production for their devices, I wasn't wrong about it)

Thats giving too much Power to the Technocracy (they already mass produce troops and toys).

No no no, its oficial now, in my games now, both Trads and Techies can build items with Arete without the Willpower

Harder rules, Im ok with, maybe those aren't as common with nystics because of reasons, but simply vetoing it... No

Comment

Originally posted by Technomancer's Toybox page 10
        "Unlike Talismans, Devices do not require the sacrifice of a Willpower point; they do, however, take twice the usual time to build unless there's some sort of assembly line on the Realm. Most Technocracy's Constructs do include mass production facilities - that's where they get those wonderful toys! - but most Sons of Ether and Virtual Adepts will prefer the personal touch"
        Oh comon, thats bullshit

...but most Suckers of Ether and Virtual Inepts will prefer the personal touch"
        Thats what happens when you leave the Union. You become stupid.

Superstitious idiots
        Last edited by Karlgust; 03-01-2017, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Yeah, looking through my copy of Technomancer's Toybox, it does seem kind of unfair that mystics need to invest permanent Willpower, but technomancers don't. I mean, there's a good reason for it (why should a scientist have to invest their Willpower to make a machine work, if they believe that the machine functions because of laws of science), and I agree with it. But it still unbalances things in the favor of technomancers...and when they already have so many things in their favor.

So how do we fix that? One idea would be that, regardless of how well the creation process goes, Devices automatically come with at least one Flaw (with a value equal to its Arete/Enlightenment rating). Mystics had centuries - if not millennia - to perfect their methods, and the investment of permanent Willpower binds their Talismans together more tightly. Technomancers may have the advantage in that Reality is more lenient on them, but the "laws" the Devices are based on might not be wholly accepted, if at all. And such machine-magic is new, often experimental. Especially in the case of the Etherites and Virtual Adepts, their creations are liable to have faults that, try as they might, just refuse to smooth out. It's only when a Device has been refined enough that it enters into the Consensus (even if only for Hedge Scientists) that the bugs get worked out.

This applies even to Technocrats. They aren't immune to the problems inherent to the prototype process. Their advantage is merely having enough resources that they can throw designs against the wall until they get one whose Flaws are...manageable. The hi-tech sunglasses the NWO agent sports, that feeds her streams of data, aren't perfect. They are just the sunglasses that have the least crippling faults. (Assuming the sunglasses are Devices, instead of just Instruments with no Enlightenment score of their own).

That the idea of the "state-of-the-art equipment" being buggy and error-prone also helps feed into the Union's party line. If Paradox hits a Device and causes some spectacular backlash, the agent is liable to blame the lack of perfection in the designs, rather than some kind of omnipotent force of karmic balance, acting against the Technocrat for their hubris. The latter is superstitionist talk, and not worth considering further.
          Last edited by Bluecho; 03-02-2017, 03:17 PM.

Comment

The Paradigm for technotoys is broken. Its not just technobabble pseudoscience, its totally broken.

-"Cool! I can see extra Dimensional beings with my kirlian sunglasses!" (common Instrument - foci - without any magikal powers whatsoever. The agent simply uses Spirit 1, the sunglasses is just the focus to the effect, norhing more)
            -"Oh, let me see that (his unenlightened friend asks his glasses)
            -"Hum... I can't see a thing"
            -"Thats because you're dumb. You dont understand how to use the glasses"
            -"Sooo... I dont understand how to look throw the sunglasses?"
            -"Nevermind"
            -"By the way, why does your plasma gun only works when youre the one using it, or just when you're around?"
            -"Sights"

Comment

Well the disadvantage is that devices count as the character casting, despite using the devices arete.

I have two Plasma guns. I can only shoot one at a time. Because you can only perform one act of magic a turn.

You have two rings of plasma bolt summoning. You can fire off two bolts of plasma and then perform a spell of your own. Because your rings have their own will and actions. Of course all it can do with those actions is cast spells. Because it's a ring. But whatever.

Comment

Originally posted by Karlgust View Post
                The Paradigm for technotoys is broken. Its not just technobabble pseudoscience, its totally broken.

-"Cool! I can see extra Dimensional beings with my kirlian sunglasses!" (common Instrument - foci - without any magikal powers whatsoever. The agent simply uses Spirit 1, the sunglasses is just the focus to the effect, norhing more)
                -"Oh, let me see that (his unenlightened friend asks his glasses)
                -"Hum... I can't see a thing"
                -"Thats because you're dumb. You dont understand how to use the glasses"
                -"Sooo... I dont understand how to look throw the sunglasses?"
                -"Nevermind"
                -"By the way, why does your plasma gun only works when youre the one using it, or just when you're around?"
                -"Sights"
                That sounds almost like what happened in BBC one's Sherlock (Season 3 Episode 3) with Sherlock and Charles Augustus Magnussen.

But more actually related, I always thought that the tech would be using items that actually showed them something but that didn't didn't make sense to anyone untrained but could be replicated with cutting edge technology. Like shades that show a bunch of numbers and colors that are impossible for a normal person to interpret or a plasma that has to be set to take things like humidity, range, electromagnetic interference, and other factors or else you get an explosion, a fire, or something like a circuit-breaker shut down (or something). Then I imagined that the items anyone can use are made with willpower taken from some poor unfortunates the technocracy has access to.

Comment

@Spacecat
                  Some poor awakened unfortunate.

But that is a nice way for Technocrats to get extra credit. The Technocrats way of infernalism...

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Working...
                  X