Magick la la la la la!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magick la la la la la!

So, working through my ridiculous personal project of making the more common rotes for each tradition (I've made a set of 120 Akashic rotes), I am starting on rotes for the Celectial Chorus... which got me thinking about divine music of the sort sung by the First Singers.

Does anyone have any idea or opinion of what this would be like?

With regards to the sound of it, Gregorian Chant and Baba Yetu came to mind, but was soon derailed by Blues Brothers and Sister Act songs.

Also, has anyone seen any scenes (movies TV etc.) of people singing while doing awesome things like maybe combat and magic without looking too silly?

Just musing on the topic.

West Side Story? Hmm. No, somehow the Order of Hermes singing "House Tytalus is gonna have it's way Tonight!" seems too ludicrous even for me.

Michael Jackson's video for "Smooth Criminal" maybe?

As for the First Singers, I always figured their songs were the same language God used when He spoke Creation into being, and isn't something the unAwakened can really process mentally, let alone reproduce. But chants, hymns and the like are all efforts at it. At least that was always my theory.

As for Gregorian Chants, if you've never heard them, Enigma was a new age techno band/project from the early 90s whose first album used Gregorian Chants in almost all the songs. "Sadeness" was their one single that made the top 40.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
      Michael Jackson's video for "Smooth Criminal" maybe?
      It's a Marauder!

Comment

I can imagine a Choristor singing battle songs as the armies approach for battle.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 25: Going Down

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post
          [...]got me thinking about divine music of the sort sung by the First Singers.

Does anyone have any idea or opinion of what this would be like?
          If you just want old and divine, Sumerians are a good start.

Comment

For a more...interesting form of Song magic, check out the Intoners from Drakengard 3. Intoners are godlike women who channel the versatile power of their "Songs", in order to dominate the world. They sound like this. (Watch all the way through).

Comment

Banshees are an idea too

Comment

Samurai Jack Season 4 Episode 7

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Synapse View Post
                  If you just want old and divine, Sumerians are a good start.
                  That's interesting. I like it.

to Bluecho
                  Drakengard 3 sounds pretty cool
                  Last edited by Spacecat; 02-25-2017, 09:27 AM.

Comment

Read the Silmarillion from Tolkien, the Aiur Song, the Primal Song sang by the Old Ones (the Aiur) that created the world.

The Aiur were created by Eru (in the language of the Aiur themselves), also called Illuvatar, in elfic. That being is basically like The One revered by the Choristers; he created the biggest spirits, the Aiur, to sing for him, Eru-Iluvatar, in his Palace, and their song materialized the physical world in the void beyond Eru-Iluvatar Palaces.

Eru-Iluvatar allowed the Aiur to take residence in the physical world (which the Aiur call as "Varda"), with the condition and full knowledge that, those who did it so, would become bound to the circles of the world, and woudnt be allowed to leave it and return to the Palace of Eru, not until the world of Varda met it's final end.

So, those spirits that choose to go to the world of Varda (the physical world) become know as the Valar, the Old Powers of the world.

That's the history of Middle Earth of the Lord of the Rings. Sauron, the unholy, the enemy of Middle Earth, was a Maiar, a spirit of the same order as the Aiur, but of a minor magnitude than they, but who were also allowed to take residence on the world of Varda. Sauron were the main servant of Morgoth, the sinister enemy of the world, who, before being know as Morgoth, were called Melchior, the primogem of Eru-Iluvatar and the most powerful of the Vala (he was the first Aiur). The two main servants of Morgoth were the Maia Sauron, the deceiver, his most cunning servant, and Gorgomoth, another Maia like Sauron and of equal power, but this one were a brutal being, the master of all the Balrogs (remember that huge demon from the Ring Society? Yeah, imagine the boss of them all). However, Gorgomoth were slain during the first age's wars and Sauron survived.

Those tales are a good inspirarion for the Celestial Chorus, specially because Tolkien took inspirarion on the christianism myth of creation, and everybody can notice how the Aiur/Vala Melchior looks like Lucifer/Satan. The corruption of Melchior starts when the Aiur were singing the Primal Song that created the world; being the firstborn and the one upon which Eru-Iluvatar gave more blessings than any other, he wanted to please the father the most, so, Melchior would try to make his own voice to be heard more than the others, and would even create compositions beyond the original themes of Eru, in order to impress the Father. In time, the rebellion of Melchior would turn the Primal Song into a chaotic mess of noises. Many Maiar would also try to follow the themes of Melchior - and those would be doomed over time, like Sauron. And the Primal Song would became a battle of noise between those Aiur trying to stick with the original themes of Eru, and those trying to follow the songs of Melchior. Eru-Iluvatar however, would just look and do nothing. Except twice, were the father told the Aiur to stop; first, he said "start again", but the rebellion of Melchior made the Song lose its initial harmony again; at the second time, the father stoped the Aiur to show the world of Varda, that their Song had created. And to show that the rebellion of Melchior just made that world more beautiful - were, for example, Ailë, the Vala of earth, made songs about earth, Melchior would try to shame his song introducing songs of vulcans, creating gemstones that Ailë didn't think about before. And were Ordo, the Vala of water, sang themes of water, Melchior, trying to shame him, made songs about ice and vapor, which Ordo hadn't tought before. And, before letting the Aiur take residence on the world, Eru-Iluvatar told them "and that all beings, big of small, know that all things they do can only increase the glory of Eru, and that even the works of Melchior cannot surpass those of Eru, and in fact will only make them more beautiful". Upon entering the world, each Valar choose their favored element - Manwe, the second son of Eru and the older after Melchior, chose the air and became the Lord of the Skies and King of the Valar, Ailë chose earth, Ordo Water, and so on. Melchior however, proclaimed himself the Lord of the World, but the other Valar refused that, for they also had put a lot of work on the world, and so it began the war of the Powers.

Well... That's a resume of the mythology of The Lord of The Rings, I think it's good for inspiration, sorry for being too repetitive on some points

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUcsRjyIKMI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ygvwlmT80
                      Last edited by Spacecat; 02-25-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Karlgust View Post
                        Well... That's a resume of the mythology of The Lord of The Rings, I think it's good for inspiration, sorry for being too repetitive on some points
                        No problem. Glad to hear all ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

to Bluecho
                          Drakengard 3 sounds pretty cool
                          Yeah, it's pretty cool. If you want to know all you'd ever want to know about it, I recommend watching a Let's Play by one of my favorite YouTube people, who goes through the whole thing, including DLC. If you don't want to watch videos, you could alternatively read a text-based Let's Plays by one of my favorite people on The Let's Play Archive. That is also a full analysis.

Before you click on either, be warned that Drakengard 3 - like all of the games in the Drakengard series - is a mature game, with often dark, adult themes. The first few seconds of either Let's Play will give you a very good idea of what you'd be getting into.

To quote The Dark Id (the guy from the second link): Strap in kids, it's about to get fuckin' weird.

Comment

Once More With Feeling from Buffy could give you some ideas, perhaps.

Comment

to Aldrin
                              That was funny. One of their crazier episodes.

to Bluecho
                              It's got a lot of nice story ideas but also a ton of really plain weird parts.

Apparently, there's this Bamenda Medley by the Celestial Chorus Choir on youtube.
                              Last edited by Spacecat; 02-27-2017, 09:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X