A Maurader guru?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Maurader guru?

I thought up a antagonist for a Mage chronicle. It is a Marauder who is the head of a cult and acts as a guru and a prophet for the cult's god. How could this work in Mage?

So what's his deal as a Marauder?

Comment

He genuinely believes he is a prophet. His insanity goes so far that he actually hears voices in his head and thinks they are the voices of his gods.

Comment

You know you could just make the gods real "incarna level spirits" and skip the marauder bit. Saying he's just a Skitzo is a lame marauder.

Comment

Sounds fun enough.
          I guess there are tons of ways to go with this.

I'm imagining the divine prophecies and manifestations are a subtle reflection of the marauder's subconscious, taking from his/her vision of the world as it is and as it should be, optimistic ideals, desires, fears, and sometimes just things the marauder experiences. Maybe a mage close enough to the marauder would be able to recognize this.

So, you could run this as anything from a crazy death or doomsday cult, to some sort of isolationist group trying to establish a holy utopia, to someone trying to right the wrongs of the world in accordance to the dictates of the higher power, an unstable marauder who genuinely wants to help people and has uplifted the spirits and lives of the downtrodden and called them on some grand exodus, all sorts of things really. I guess a lot depends on the tone you want to establish.

Apart from magick-fueled miracles and divine manifestations that are likely to cause investigation by the Traditions or Technocracy, you could actually even build up this marauder's "church" and give them a few holy items of power, maybe some disciple types, and maybe even genuine heroes who would die for their beliefs and for the greater good.

Comment

I could definitely see the Marauder being a person who thinks what they are doing is for the greater good. Unfortunately, their definition for the greater good is having their followers do crimes like assault, murder and white collar crime. I can picture a scene where the PCs are chasing down a guy who gunned down their contact only to have him disappear in a bright light, no doubt sent by his Marauder master. Now that leads me to a other question, what exactly should the Marauder's god be?

Comment

What I'm missing in the discussion is the actual defining Marauder aspect.

Because this...

Originally posted by Killerclown View Post
              He genuinely believes he is a prophet. His insanity goes so far that he actually hears voices in his head and thinks they are the voices of his gods.
              Can in theory happen to anybody who suddenly awakens, and their (high level) avatar poses and looks like a deity in their eyes, *especially* if they have the 'Manifest Avatar' merit.
              The Avatar becomes a holy figure trying to teach them and make them teach others. Heck, it's the concept of a Verbena of mine, to whom their avatar appears as the actual trifold Goddess, and they see themselves as their priestess. She's not a Marauder - but what would *you* do if the deity you believe in actually appears and talks to you?

So yeah, I think a servant of a God like that does not quite equal Marauder. It *can*, of course. It can. The symptoms and actions can be the same on the outside. But you need to decide wether it's just a Mage with delusions, or an actual paradox-chewing dynamic Marauder or not.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
              >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Good points but I think we should be suggesting how to make this work as an actual marauder.

Like the sort that if you actually talked to the "real" god/spirit being worshiped, the god would have no idea what the marauder was smoking and why he's using the god's name falsely... and all those angels (or prophets, or lesser divinities, or whatnot) are just things in the guy's head fueled by his own magick and some of the miraculous stories regarding his religion didn't even happen anywhere but in his head.

If it were me, I'd run it as a marauder prophet of a nonexistent benevolent god with grand miracles, divine spirits, and great epic stories that none of the mages of any religion and numerous spirits have ever even heard about. Heck, I'd have some spirits asking the mages to have him investigated and run it as a sort of mystery game. Throw in a spirit that wants to pose as the god or one of its servants, some choristers who want to meddle, and actual faithful followers and I think it could make for an interesting game.

Comment

The Avatar could make a decent god. But, would that mean that he and his followers would basically be worshipping a extension of himself? Also, I figured that making him a Marauder would allow him to do "miracles" in front of his followers. I will also consider the nonexistent god?

Comment

I think them being a Marauder Antagonist is a neat idea, since it means that they can show the divine displeasure against the PCs through redirected Paradox. He can perform a miracle of incredible power and then laugh as the "heathens" are twisted into horrific shapes as backlash.

Personally my take is that ALL Mages with Personified Avatars are at least a tad insane, since their Avatars are just dead Angel Corpses that they've projected personalities onto. Marauder is just the supernatural insanity that comes with having twisted reality to the point of losing track of the illusion of sanity. Marauders aren't extra insane IMO, they've just given up on the idea of sanity being a thing almost. That's why they don't get Paradox Backlash; they don't buy into the idea of a rational reality striking back at them when they do crazy things with Magick. Why does it hit others? Because they still subscribe to the idea that Paradoxic backlashes are a fundamental part of reality. In a very sad and broken way, Marauders have "ascended", since they no longer need to fear Paradox. However the price of admission is the belief that they are sane, which is a valuable delusion for Mages as it lets them exist "normally".

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

Personally my take is that ALL Mages with Personified Avatars are at least a tad insane, since their Avatars are just dead Angel Corpses that they've projected personalities onto.
                      Althouth this may be part of Demon the Fallen lore, this is NOT part of Mage cannon, so do not take it as it is. The Avatar in Mage is a mysterious part of the soul without a proper definition or proper understanding of what it truly is. You can even say that Avatars are "angelic spiritual detritus" if you wanna in your game, but you can't take it as cannon lore for the game Mage Ascension (even if you can for Demon)

Comment

And who said that Maradeurs are immune to Paradox? They aren't, it just works different from them (and to their benefit, mostly - except when the Paradox ejects you from reality fully)

Comment

Originally posted by AgentSmith View Post
                          And who said that Maradeurs are immune to Paradox? They aren't, it just works different from them (and to their benefit, mostly - except when the Paradox ejects you from reality fully)
                          I read that when Backlash hits them, it seeks out the nearest target other than the Marauder? Like nearby Mages and Night Folk.

Comment

Originally posted by AgentSmith View Post
                            Althouth this may be part of Demon the Fallen lore, this is NOT part of Mage cannon, so do not take it as it is. The Avatar in Mage is a mysterious part of the soul without a proper definition or proper understanding of what it truly is. You can even say that Avatars are "angelic spiritual detritus" if you wanna in your game, but you can't take it as cannon lore for the game Mage Ascension (even if you can for Demon)
                            Oh yeah, it's just the way I like to run it. Truth doesn't matter that much in my games though, since the belief that your Avatar is a Goddess called Risk is a powerful one that lets you take over a city, doesn't matter if Risk is actually the rotting celestial corpse of the Angel who created Grasslands.

Comment

Originally posted by 11twiggins View Post

I read that when Backlash hits them, it seeks out the nearest target other than the Marauder? Like nearby Mages and Night Folk.
                              This is described on pages 56-58 of Book of Madness rev. First of all, the Marauder will get one temporary Quiety rating everytime he botches a Vulgar Magik; Quiets of 6+ will cause him to get ejected from the Tellurian as the unnatural aliens they are, usually straight to the Deep Umbra, from where most can never return (Hmm... That just gave me an idea... Maybe the monstruousities, the cthonic titans trying to shatter the Dream Shell that protects us from the beyond, maybe they are expeled Marauders? That could be interesting...)

Secondly, when Marauders are to take a backlash, you take the degree of the backlash and subtracts from his temporary Quiet. Thats how much will hit the Marauder, the rest go to the nearest awakened (or even sleeper, if no awaken is around; nightfolk count as sleepers)

Comment

Working...
                              X