Guardian Angel Stats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guardian Angel Stats

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the stats of a Guardian Angel or at least the closest equivalent in the Classic World of Darkness for use in Mage. If there's no close equivalent, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Spirit wise: There are a few Angel stats in Book of Worlds, and all the Patronage stuff with the muses in Infinite Tapestry can really easily be converted over to whatever mythology and lore you prefer.
    Forged By Dragon's Fire has a few Angel bound Fetishes which give you some Angel stats.
    Other than that, there's probably something in the old Book of Madness, though I can't confirm.

However, I think guardian angels would fit better as someone's interpretation of their Avatar.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running UPDATE Chapter 25: Going Down

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post
      I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find the stats of a Guardian Angel or at least the closest equivalent in the Classic World of Darkness for use in Mage. If there's no close equivalent, any suggestions would be appreciated.
      Are you talking about the Merit?

Because that "Guardian" could be anything you wanna - Vampire, Fera, mummy, an actual "angel" (whatever that may be for you - umbrood from high umbra or whatever)

Comment

Originally posted by AgentSmith View Post

Are you talking about the Merit?

Because that "Guardian" could be anything you wanna - Vampire, Fera, mummy, an actual "angel" (whatever that may be for you - umbrood from high umbra or whatever)
        No, not the merit. The creature or spirit.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

No, not the merit. The creature or spirit.
          Oh, ok. Well, like Saikou said. Those are, however, only Umbrood from the High Umbra.

There is no equivalent of "True Angels", which would be the counter part of the "demons" trapped in the Abyss in Demon the Fallen.

But Umbroods are just fine for that role

Comment

Yup. I just need a gauge of what they are like. Thanks.
            I don't have access to those but maybe one of my friends bought them.

Comment

Check out page 90 of Time of Judgment - there are notes and stats there for true angels.

Comment

Also there is some cool angel stuff in the back of Blood treachery

Comment

Great. Now I'm wondering if I want to use a spirit or a true angel.

It's for that crazy rote list project of mine that I'll use in my games.

I'm currently on Celestial Chorus rotes making a rote that asks for the intercession of your guardian angel. Any suggestions?

(So far the Akashic Brotherhood has around 120 rotes and the Chorus has 54)
                  Last edited by Spacecat; 03-07-2017, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Mind you there is a bit of a break between the Gnostic angels the order of Hermes talks to and the angels the choir sings to. It doesn't have to be a true angel per say, a spirit of protection might appear to a choir member in the guise of an angle as much as it might appear to a dream speaker as an ancestor.

Comment

It's worth remembering that, as much as we might bandy about terms like "True Demon" or "True Angel" up here in Player & Storyteller Land, in-universe the distinction isn't obvious. If a person in the World of Darkness met a shining being with white wings, that said "Be Not Afraid", and claimed to speak on behalf of the Almighty, how could that person possibly begin to determine if that being was a "True" Angel, or an angelic spirit created from human thoughts and beliefs? Why would that person even assume there were more than just the one kind of angel?

All I'm saying is, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...for all intents and purposes, it might as well be a duck.

Comment

Good points. Thus a bit of my problem. I, being in control of writing of this rote for my games, know that the players that will use this will not actually care (and possibly not know) which one of the two they get aid from so long as they get meaningful aid. I'm thinking it would be more thematic to write in a real guardian angel but am wondering if there is anything I should consider before writing this in, mainly so I won't feel like rewriting the rote in the future.

So, assuming I want to write a rote as being able to pester a least angel, as per the Time of Judgement rules, assigned to your spiritual welfare, is there anything I should be thinking about?
                        Last edited by Spacecat; 03-08-2017, 02:53 AM.

Comment

Shouldn't Guardian angels be assigned to a person rather then just a generic angle who protects? It's like the difference between a bodyguard and a police officer.

If it's an actual bona-fided Clarence wouldn't it be better taken as an ally?

Comment

Indeed, the entire point behind a guardian angel is that it's a distinct angelic being that gets assigned to a human at birth, and remains with them until they die. Any Rote created to summon a "Guardian Angel" would be designed around summoning the summoner's specific angel.

(Funnily enough, there is precedence for this in Western Esoterism. It comes from The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage, a Kabbalistic text which details a ritual for communing with one's Holy Guardian Angel. Through this communion, further ritual work can be done to channel the angel's power in a conscious fashion, towards a variety of purposes. It was studied by the founders of the Golden Dawn, and was further adopted and adapted by Crowley and other occult thinkers.)

If you want a Rote designed to summon a generic angel, treat it as any other spirit and see where it goes.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, I meant Least Angel in terms of Low Ranking Angel with a faith of 25, which I had assumed would be about right for your personal assigned guardian angel. And the rote is meant to contact your particular guardian angel. As for getting it as an ally, I consider that as a possible outcome of calling for its aid.

Comment

Working...
                              X