X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M20 backer update #82 Gods/Mosters preview

So I got this here email
    Cannibal Corpse

Driven by demons of Infernal hunger, the “cannibal corpse” fits the modern concept of a killer zombie. Despite that Romero-Russo pedigree, however, this flesh-gnawing thing has primal ancestry. The sorcerers of ancient Egypt and Akkad trapped minor demons and angry ghosts in prisons of flesh that could feed voraciously and yet never satiate their hungers. Such verboten magicks survive to the present day, when Nephandic malcontents and Infernal cultists stage their own “zombie flicks”… sometimes actually filming an orgy of slaughter and then putting the results on YouTube for entertainment.
    The angry re-animates of the Week of Nightmares fit a similar mold, although those monsters were apparently self-created. Slightly less voracious than their hunger-demon counterparts, they still waged impressive bouts of mayhem before time and enemies whittled down their numbers. Occasionally, though, such creatures still appear – often in hordes of near-mindless ferocity, tearing into every living thing until either the zombies or their prey have become twitching smears of gore.
    Suggested Attributes: Strength 4, Dexterity 3, Stamina 5, Charisma 0, Manipulation 4, Appearance 0, Perception 1, Intelligence 1, Wits 3
    Suggested Abilities: Alertness 3, Brawl 3, Intimidation 3
    Willpower: 7
    Health Levels: OK, OK, -1, -1, -3, -5, Incapacitated
    Armor Rating: 2 (seven soak dice, total)
    Attacks/ Powers: Bite for six dice, claw for five dice (both lethal). Unlike the Vodou zombi, this “breed” of walking corpse tends to be fast and unspeakably aggressive. Utterly without mercy or self-preservation, such gibbering things fling themselves at prey (typically in packs), tear it to pieces, and then feed until they have consumed roughly half a zombie’s weight in once-living tissue.
    (Handfuls of more-intelligent zombies appear to retain their human intellect and personality. Whether those gruesome exceptions to the rule are truly walking dead people or simply demonic props remains a mystery.)
    Also unlike its Vodou-crafted “cousin,” the cannibal corpse cannot regenerate; it can, however, continue to attack until its pieces have been destroyed by fire or some other form of annihilation. (Whether or not a head-shot stops such beings is a Storyteller’s call.) Spirit 4 magick can purge the animating demons or ghosts, essentially “freeing” the zombie from its rampage. This, however, is no soul-trapped victim, but a spiritual obscenity that combines malignant entities with awkward yet implacable flesh.
    Image: Like its cinematic reflection, a cannibal corpse comes across as a near-mindless machine of dead flesh and lively hunger. Such things tend to be messy eaters, and carry the stains of past meals and injuries with them.
    Roleplaying Notes: Eat. Ravage. Destroy.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it's an interesting take on zombies, I just hope this book doesn't over complicate things like HDYDT.

Awesome stuff. Looking forward to this.

Comment

Really cool to see cannibal corpses again - I used them a little while back to decent effect. I wonder what other antagonists we're going to get...

Comment

I was kinda hoping for something more exotic then a zombie, though

What doesn't kill you, makes you... stranger.

Comment

Originally posted by Asmodai View Post
          I was kinda hoping for something more exotic then a zombie, though
          Indeed. That said, since the M20 books need to (theoretically) be able to stand on their own, without a new player having to own earlier books, it's important that they cover the bases. Necromancers are a standard in the World of Darkness, so it's helpful to have stats to work off of.

Moreover, this is just a taste of what Gods, Monsters, And Familiar Strangers has to offer. Presumably, we'll get more exotic kinds later.

Comment

Zombies are kinda the low hanging fruit of pretend monsters. I hope the book includes rules to make our own bygones.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
              Indeed. That said, since the M20 books need to (theoretically) be able to stand on their own, without a new player having to own earlier books
              Which is why M20 cross references so many of the older books?

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Well, whether it was or wasn't the author's intent, I think it would be nicer if M20 could stand on its own and would like to support anything that helps in that regard. It does kinda does seem to work differently from old editions at many points though if you take it as written without referencing the older books.

Comment

In order for it to truly stand on its own you would have to add more content to an already bloated work.

Comment

I wish they had, as much as I understand how much trouble this would be.

Comment

Got another one, this time it's a paradox spirit.

Whisper (Mind or Life)
                      A manifestation of paranoia, Whisper cannot materialize; in the Umbra, the spirit resembles a swirling, shifting mass of colors and shapes. This entity doesn’t approach mages in the Umbra, though. Instead, it manifests within an offender’s own mind – reading the mage’s thoughts and fears, and then suggesting that those fears are coming true.
                      When conjured by a Paradox backlash, Whisper employs four tactics: First, it locates the offender, wherever he might be; then it possesses people (typically Sleepers) in that mage’s vicinity, getting them to behave erratically so that the mage begins to question their motives with regards to him. From “inside” those mortal minds, Whisper reads the mage’s thoughts and fears; finally, the spirit moves into the mage’s own head, inspiring small paranoid delusions until either the mage cracks or the spirit is satisfied.
                      When possessing mortal hosts, Whisper sends them against the mage in eerie yet non-violent ways. People begin to follow the mage; scary toughs might trail him, New Age weirdoes might follow him, cops might cast wary eyes in his direction. Cars creep along behind the mage, driving off before he can confront them. Whisper never possesses any one person for more than an hour or two, and these people never recall what happened while they were possessed. Sometimes Whisper jumps from one person to another in a crowd, delivering a cryptic and ominous message; each possessed person delivers a word or two of the message while looking directly at the mage, and then the next person continues that message without pause. Attempts to scan the possessed people with Mind magick produce blurs of indistinct and vaguely ominous thoughts – nothing as obvious as a threat, but filled with intimations of obsessions or harm.
                      Once the mage has gotten jumpy, Whisper flows into its target’s consciousness, reading the fears that rise in response to people following him. From there, Whisper begins to seed hallucinations, breed surges of unexpected emotions, and generally drive the mage toward irrational and paranoid acts. These delusions generally last until the mage does something stupidly self-destructive; at that point, Whisper generally departs… at least for the time being, anyway.
                      Willpower 8, Rage 4, Gnosis 8, Power 40
                      Charms: Influence, Mind Speech, Paranoid Delusions (as per the corruption Charm, but with fearsome delusions rather than evil suggestions), Possession (one person per Power point spent), Reform, Tracking

Comment

This preview is from the upcoming book of the fallen.

“Invested” Infernalist

Some folks have no illusions of morality. They’ll do whatever it takes to get what they want, and if that means dealing with devils, well then bring on Lucifer and let the blood fall where it may. Though these Infernalists aren’t as common as they once were (there being “no such things as demons” and all), they’re still out there in the occult underground. Teen malcontents, desperate rebels, folks who’ve lost all other hopes, and people too rich or egotistical to care about the consequences… such people still strike demonic pacts and sometimes gain uncanny, if temporary, powers.

Typical demonic pacts involve money, fame, power and so forth – Background or Ability Traits in game terms, perhaps some Merits too. These “investments” are double-edged: the Infernalist invests himself in the bargain, and the “patron” invests in the Infernalist. Despite appearances, these “demons” might be malicious ghosts, malignant nature-spirits, prankster faeries or other entities. True devils are usually above this sort of nonsense in the mortal world… although, since immortality can be frightfully dull, they might just make these deals to keep themselves amused. As for the people themselves, they tend to be rather unpleasant souls – outwardly charming perhaps, but inwardly consumed with the evil they’ve embraced.

Suggested Attributes: Strength 2, Dexterity 2, Stamina 2, Charisma, 3, Manipulation 3, Appearance 3, Perception 3, Intelligence 2, Wits 3
                        Suggested Abilities: Academics 2, Awareness 1, Brawl 1, Computer 1, Drive 1, Esoterica 2, Firearms 1, Occult 3, Seduction 2, Streetwise 2, Style 2, Technology 1
                        Willpower: 5
                        Health Levels: OK, -1, -1, -2, -2, -5, Incapacitated

Suggested Powers: “Normal” Investments, as mentioned above, often take the form of Backgrounds, Attributes or Abilities that the character wouldn’t have otherwise. Supernatural Investments include between 2 and 10 points worth of Special Advantages. The aura of an Invested character coruscates with black streaks, strains, clouds or lightning; although he might have an Investment that conceals his essential nature, that’s not often the case.

Image: Like other practitioners, the Infernalist tends to reveal his true nature to folks who know what to look for. Among other people, though, he might appear perfectly normal… whatever “normal” means to them… or perhaps a bit eccentric. Sure, he might sport a devil-beard, wear Black Metal t-shirts, and otherwise come off like Rob Zombie’s inbred cousin. Most Infernalists, though, aren’t nearly as obvious about what they are and who they serve. Many of them – far more than you’d suspect – are politicians, executives, and other respectable members of the community. It’s the pleasant ones you really need to look out for…

Roleplaying Notes: Truth is, you don’t truly care about much beyond yourself… and considering how precious your bargain probably became, you’d prefer not to die anytime soon, thank you very much! Find other folks to take risks on your behalf. It’s not, after all, as if they matter or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post
                          Roleplaying Notes: Truth is, you don’t truly care about much beyond yourself… and considering how precious your bargain probably became, you’d prefer not to die anytime soon, thank you very much! Find other folks to take risks on your behalf. It’s not, after all, as if they matter or anything.
                          "It's not like you matter or anything, b-baka!"

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. The thought of Tsundere Infernalists amuses me greatly. Although, so does the thought of a Yandere Infernalist.

On another note, I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get any more suggestions for what "Special Advantages" an Infernalist would have. It's all rather vague.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                            On another note, I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get any more suggestions for what "Special Advantages" an Infernalist would have. It's all rather vague.
                            Well it's still in beta and we don't know what the investment section looks like. I'm just glad the glacier is moving again.

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post

Well it's still in beta and we don't know what the investment section looks like. I'm just glad the glacier is moving again.
                              True, true.

Comment

Working...
                              X