Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are your preferred settings for Mage?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh and it would be inspired by Clive Barker books such as Imagica, and the Great and Secret Show.

Storyteller of Vampire the Masquerade game - Twin Cities by Night
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBU...IhwsM3kHK56SRA
    If you want to find White Wolf game play media or subject matter media check out the Facebook page I create to share and post media.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/862703457198327/

Comment

Welcome to the great, confusing, crazy, but ultimately rewarding game that is Mage, the Ascension.

The last game I ran was set in the near future in Spaceport City New Mexico, in that future time when companies are conducting space tours and mining the moon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post
        Welcome to the great, confusing, crazy, but ultimately rewarding game that is Mage, the Ascension.

The last game I ran was set in the near future in Spaceport City New Mexico, in that future time when companies are conducting space tours and mining the moon.
        Thanks! I am just super grateful I have a Mage fan who will be playing in it to make sure I don't bungle it too bad. Now I am just waiting for the Mage 20th book to come in the mail.

Storyteller of Vampire the Masquerade game - Twin Cities by Night
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBU...IhwsM3kHK56SRA
        If you want to find White Wolf game play media or subject matter media check out the Facebook page I create to share and post media.
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/862703457198327/

Comment

That's great. If you need help with anything, you have a whole forum of people to ask.

Comment

LA in the late 90s, heavily inspired by stuff like Strange Days, Terminator 2, American History X, Demolition Man, Tales from the Hood, Predator 2, and The Shield, among others.

Turquoise City, a fictional city in New Mexico, inspired by Tony Hillerman's books, the early Trinity era atomic testing, and assorted Roswell weirdness.

Comment

Probably the most fun I had setting wise was a campaign that started set in Boston in the mid 90s (present day at the time). The other player characters were college students, so we worked my octogenarian priest in as a visiting Comparative Religions professor whose class the rest were taking. We were all equals as far as the supernatural adventures went, but when it came to classwork I accepted no trivial excuses (such as saving the city from being corrupted by one of Jodi Blake's schemes) for missing assignments. The guys role played it out as if they were more terrified by the class syllabus and the prospect of flunking out than meeting grisly ends at the hands of infernal cultists, it was hilarious.

Comment

I've been involved in a long-running private Mage game online for about a decade now, and our setting was Manhattan. Not "NY By Night" Manhattan, but our own version, that's now seen ten years of intense history. As such, every Mage game I've run since has been set somewhere in that time period, because... well, frankly, we have too much material built up to NOT use!

To give a bit of detail, it is a Manhattan where a Nephandic madman nearly unleashed a full on demon duke on Central Park, eradicating the local werewolf population in the meantime. Including the Dancers, because he was insane but he wasn't stupid enough to trust a crazy werewolf. It took a coalition of powers to take the guy down and stop his final summoning, and while it did prevent his master from materializing personally, it did NOT stop the Park from becoming an even crappier place than it was before. So there's lingering aftereffects, the southern half of the Park is basically a shithole and the northern half is now the territory of a small group of werewolves that have moved BACK in. There's a magic-sniffer among them, because well hey it was magic that drove them out last time, and it's well known that the northern half of Central Park is NOT friendly to anyone who smells of magic.

The local Technocratic Constructs have spent a lot of time, energy, and effort rebuilding after the battle of Central Park, and the local Tradition Mages had to recruit a lot of help from non-affiliated Mages in the area... several of whom died. This puts the local Traditionalists in an unenviable position of nearly everyone being against them, and also themselves being desperately weakened. The most powerful single Mage in New York died re-sealing the demon and casting it back from the world, and it took calling in help from outside Chantries to stabilize things, which causes all sorts of internal rifts in the three local Chantries, none of which were especially powerful before, due to being kept in check by the Techs.

So the local Traditions are rudderless, near-leaderless, and scraping everything back together, while the Techs are reassessing priorities and stabilizing the region from extradimensional threats that use the "holes" left behind from the battle of Central Park. The few unaffiliated Mages who got involved have generally awful memories of the events, feeling very much like they were cast-aside cannon fodder, and some of them have started banding together to make sure nobody ever uses them like that again.

And, of course, that's only the Mage side of things. The local werewolves have a bone to pick with those uppity Mages that desecrated the crap out of Central Park, and they don't exactly have a handle on Mage politics so as far as they're concerned, everyone who smells of magic in the park is probably to blame, with a couple of exceptions. The local garou are led by Jen 'Butterfly' Waters, and she is probably the most level-headed wolf in town in the sense of not provoking any wars... which means she offers a show of force and precisely one warning. Anyone who doesn't heed that warning generally gets the business end of her pack's teeth.

And Jesus, the local vampires. One local Ventrue had the misfortune of getting involved in the events surrounding the Park, because he had a thing for a young Cult of Ecstacy girl. It didn't end well for him, and that left something of a power vacuum, since he was the Ventrue Primogen at the time. The ensuing shockwaves left the Kindred a bit busy, but the Tremere have set up a research expedition into the events of the park after the battle... they smelled demons all over it, after all. Only problem is those pesky werewolves...

And, worse, the events of the Park's battles left other problems in their wake. Well, problems for the local supernaturals, anyway, since it generated a fairly significant wave of Hunters. Hunters that all saw the... THING... that almost broke through at the Park. Hunters that saw the ravening beasts rampaging through the park that night. Hunters that see monsters at every turn.

Basically, the situation is highly volatile, and ripe for opportunities.

The perfect setting for a bunch of fresh PCs, no?

Comment

The 1990s, or at some point in the Middle Ages.

Comment

Working...
                  X