Magick in the real world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magick in the real world

Aleister Crowley is constantly quoted in Mage the Ascension, as other real life people.
    I started to search and read a bit about him an similar real magicians, even finding internet forums, where people take magick very serously. Even talking about summoning things, solomon, glyphs and those kind of stuff. It really look like they came out of a Mage game.

So, I'd like to know if someone here believe in those kind of things, and if you do, share your experience here.

I'm a scientifical and skeptical kind of guy, but i have a very opened mind and would like to know more about real magick and Will.

Originally posted by Lord Revan View Post
    Aleister Crowley is constantly quoted in Mage the Ascension, as other real life people.
    I started to search and read a bit about him an similar real magicians, even finding internet forums, where people take magick very serously. Even talking about summoning things, solomon, glyphs and those kind of stuff. It really look like they came out of a Mage game.

So, I'd like to know if someone here believe in those kind of things, and if you do, share your experience here.

I'm a scientifical and skeptical kind of guy, but i have a very opened mind and would like to know more about real magick and Will.
    I actually don't believe in "magik", and actually just finished a biography on Crowley and will honestly say I don't hold him too much in high regard. TBH, if he was really as successful as he was in "magik" he sure was not successful in being a responsible person to say the least. I'm not knocking anyone's belief system, but the book I read seemed very even handed about Crowley and I didn't walk away with a good impression.

For different game play videos of White Wolf Games from my play group please check out
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBU...IhwsM3kHK56SRA
    If you want to find White Wolf game play media or subject matter media check out the Facebook page I create to share and post media.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/862703457198327/

Comment

I'd recommend checking out the comic works of Alan Moore (namely Promethea) and Grant Morrison (namely Invisibles). Both writers consider themselves real life magicians and their comics, specifically the two I mentioned, are spells they have weaved upon the world (in their opinion, at least). Promethea and Invisibles are also AMAZING comics in their own right.

Onyx Path Moderator
      Mod Voice is RED*
      *All other colors should be read aloud in the voice of Don Knotts.
      Hacks and House Rules Hub Thread

CofD Hacks By Splat: Vampire | Werewolf | Mage | Mummy | Demon

Comment

Originally posted by ChristopherZacher View Post

I actually don't believe in "magik", and actually just finished a biography on Crowley and will honestly say I don't hold him too much in high regard. TBH, if he was really as successful as he was in "magik" he sure was not successful in being a responsible person to say the least. I'm not knocking anyone's belief system, but the book I read seemed very even handed about Crowley and I didn't walk away with a good impression.
        My friends have called Crowley the Paris Hilton of mages, famous for being Crowley. I like to study the occult and I wasn't particularly impressed by his works. On a side note, I keep an open mind and I've seen some really weird stuff and have been able to do what I would call some pretty weird stuff over the course of my studies but nothing you can actually call "Hard Evidence" (or else I'd be writing a paper to a scientist to ask that he or she write a paper to be peer reviewed). My current opinion is that Magick is too broad and vaguely defined a term for all the stuff it supposedly encompasses, much of which does not seem to be related phenomenon.

Lord Revan
        - I'll link you some stuff that I found to be useful
        Last edited by Spacecat; 03-15-2017, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

My friends have called Crowley the Paris Hilton of mages, famous for being Crowley. I like to study the occult and I wasn't particularly impressed by his works. On a side note, I keep an open mind and I've seen some really weird stuff and have been able to do what I would call some pretty weird stuff over the course of my studies but nothing you can actually call "Hard Evidence" (or else I'd be writing a paper to a scientist to ask that he or she write a paper to be peer reviewed). My current opinion is that Magick is too broad and vaguely defined a term for all the stuff it supposedly encompasses, much of which does not seem to be related phenomenon.

Lord Revan
          - I'll link you some stuff that I found to be useful
          Yeah he was very much like her. Inherited a lot of money, was able to do whatever once he went to university and then was able to pursue what he wanted off of it.

For different game play videos of White Wolf Games from my play group please check out
          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBU...IhwsM3kHK56SRA
          If you want to find White Wolf game play media or subject matter media check out the Facebook page I create to share and post media.
          https://www.facebook.com/groups/862703457198327/

Comment

So, it is everything a farse? What about people claiming that it works? Spacecat Ok waiting for it. I got the Alan Chapman's "Advanced magick for beginers"

Comment

If Crowley was around today he would have a tumblr , maybe a small ED page and no one would care.

Comment

I'll have to say that, to say that magick is real or that magick is a farce would be a gross oversimplification of things in both cases. To put this idea into context, consider that, until very recently in human history, people didn't really understand a lot about the way the world worked and didn't really study things very well (They still don't, for the most part). People tried a lot of things and discovered a lot of things. Magic, or the equivalent word, was used to denote secrets beyond the understanding of most people. If you could use a rock to tell where the sun was in the middle of the ocean on a cloudy day, shrug off blows dealt by a man with a club, or cure someone of blindness, you had magic.

Nowadays, we know that the viking sunstone used to locate the sun was probably cordierite; people can toughen muscle, connective tissue, and bone to a ridiculous degree through continued use and abuse; and that some forms of blindness could be cured by the careful removal of cataracts. It stopped being magic when enough people new the secret that it was no longer a mystical thing.

People of every age seem to have this nasty habit of believing they know everything, or at least everything worth knowing. What I've found is that some of the stuff people dismiss today as superstition actually works. Of course, the frauds and self deluded complicate things but there's still a lot of stuff out there that's left to be discovered, especially involving the workings of the will and the human mind. But don't take my word for it. Try some of this yourself, with a completely open and accepting mind on one day and a skeptical critical mind on the other. You might be surprised at what you find.

@Lord Revan
                I PMed you the link
                Accidentally sent it as a visitor message at first
                Last edited by Spacecat; 03-15-2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post
                  If Crowley was around today he would have a tumblr , maybe a small ED page and no one would care.
                  I dunno. I'd imagine he'd have his own reality TV show.

Comment

And maybe a clothing line

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post

I dunno. I'd imagine he'd have his own reality TV show.
                      He was shocking in his time, now he would just be a try hard. If he did have his own show it would probably be on one of the high number channels and it wouldn't last more than a season.

Comment

https://img1.etsystatic.com/115/1/11...05309_d0eb.jpg
                        Gadzooks

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post

He was shocking in his time, now he would just be a try hard. If he did have his own show it would probably be on one of the high number channels and it wouldn't last more than a season.
                          Which was kinda what I thought about Keeping Up with the Kardashians.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Revan View Post

One of my players in my new campaign is an active practitioner of chaos magick. He's pretty much the reason this campaign got started.

One of my other players practices tantra. Not in my campaign, but those players play D&D in another group with another player who is Buddhist "clergy" and is very much a believer in mystical practices.

I personally an not a practitioner of arts, but I do believe that reality is far more subjective and internal than the commonly held empirical/objective paradigm. I was already kindof a believer, but I really came to really believe while working on a PhD in sciences and seeing "the sausage being made" behind the scenes of scientific practice. It's definitely a flawed search for Truth and its practices are like magic.
                            Last edited by GogariGlenRoss; 03-16-2017, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GogariGlenRoss View Post

One of my players in my new campaign is an active practitioner of chaos magick. He's pretty much the reason this campaign got started.

One of my other players practices tantra. Not in my campaign, but those players play D&D in another group with another player who is Buddhist "clergy" and is very much a believer in mystical practices.

I personally an not a practitioner of arts, but I do believe that reality is far more subjective and internal than the commonly held empirical/objective paradigm. I was already kindof a believer, but I really came to really believe while working on a PhD in sciences and seeing "the sausage being made" behind the scenes of scientific practice. It's definitely a flawed search for Truth and its practices are like magic.
                              Sounds like an interesting bunch. A PhD in what particular field, if you don't mind my asking? Can I bug you with science questions?

Comment

Working...
                              X