Correspondence success thresholds.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correspondence success thresholds.

We all know how destabilizing a player's shrewd use of Correspondence can be. You probably can't nerf Correspondence enough to remove this possibility completely without ruining it, but its limitations could maybe more clearly defined in terms of success thresholds. Here is the way I do it. I am curious how similar it is to what other people do.

Correspondence Effect only, target location known: Use Correspondence range chart to determine success threshold.

Conjunctional Effect with Correspondence, target location known: Add Effect successes and Correspondence range chart successes to find threshold.

Conjunctional Effect with Correspondence, target location unknown: MULTIPLY Effect successes and Correspondence range chart successes for threshold.

Using Correspondence to search for an item or being: To find threshold multuply Correspondence range value by a number that corresponds with the area within which you are searching. For example within a building could be x1, within a fairly large city could be x4, and within the whole world could be x7. So if you were trying to find someone you had only heard about in Seattle, you'd need about 20 successes.

I run it with just Correspondence Successes + Effect Successes.
    I'm very used to improvising and with games where players regularly do ridiculously crazy effects and have found little need to nerf much. In fact, I often like to see what players do once they find something akin to a win button and to envision the sorts of consequences their use of this has on the world.

I do see why people would find some of these things problematic though.

Comment

Honestly never had an issue with Correspondence. We always ran it as needing additional spheres (so if you want group teleport, you need life, if you want to take equipment, need matter, or resonance if you used prime). Youd need to be really powerful of a mage to really be a pain in the ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post
        I run it with just Correspondence Successes + Effect Successes.
        Regardless of whether they actually know where the target of their Effect is?

Comment

Originally posted by Faradn View Post
          Regardless of whether they actually know where the target of their Effect is?
          Yes. So that's Effect + 6 successes for anywhere on Earth or no connection.
          It might sound a bit too easy but while players can take advantage of this, so can their foes.
          It also adds a more complicated element to my mage games that I enjoy.

Things to note:
          In the games I run, most mages with correspondence 2 or Prime will have ways to make this much harder to do to them, and some mages will have a dot in one of the spheres used in the effect and so will be able to mitigate the effect using countermagick. Also, almost every construct or chantry of note will have some form of protection against these sorts of effects and probably one or more mages dedicated to security against these sorts of threats. Correspondence 3 wards will almost certainly make this something like siege warfare. Then there's a chance your target is in the umbra and I like to have some places in the setting of the game that players and NPCs can discover that are considered "outside of Earth".

Also, this serves a good motivation for mages on each side of a conflict to be completely unknown to foes and to try their utmost best to completely wipe out their enemies in most any encounter. Its one of the bigger reasons in my games for secrecy and paranoia.

I've also thought of some funny tricks like a Life mage showing up with the face of someone they don't like, possibly dropping a belonging of that person too, and attacking some group with a correspondence mage so when the mage uses that as a focus for the correspondence effect they'll just be hurting or killing someone the Life mage doesn't like.
          Last edited by Spacecat; 03-20-2017, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faradn View Post
            Using Correspondence to search for an item or being: To find threshold multuply Correspondence range value by a number that corresponds with the area within which you are searching. For example within a building could be x1, within a fairly large city could be x4, and within the whole world could be x7. So if you were trying to find someone you had only heard about in Seattle, you'd need about 20 successes.
            This seems to blatantly step onto the toes of the main theme of Correspondence: that physical distance/volume/etc. (e.g. the size of the world) are a delusion and the sympathetic connection is the true measure of 'distance'.

Comment

Originally posted by vicky_molokh View Post
              This seems to blatantly step onto the toes of the main theme of Correspondence: that physical distance/volume/etc. (e.g. the size of the world) are a delusion and the sympathetic connection is the true measure of 'distance'.
              For the purposes of finding an object with reference to space and distance, space and distance have to be taken into account. All Spheres to some degree consider their subject matter an illusion, but the Consensus always pushes back. I agree connection is important. Because of that I'd say the difficulty has as much to do with all the other like items you are filtering out of the search as it does the actual distances involved. Finding someone in Antarctica might be easier than finding someone in Lagos.
              Last edited by Faradn; Today, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X