Technological Numina?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Technological Numina?

The Technocracy I will admit is my guilty pleasure. I love most of its branches pre and post Avatar Storm. I know they use a fair bit of e\Extraordinary Citizens/Sorcerers. I am curious how exactly some numina and hedge magic could be adapted to this paradigm? I was recently pondering running a low level technocrat game of non-mages and am seeking advice on how exactly to fluff and explain the numina. Alchemy and Herbalism seem easily adaptable to chemistry, etc. Psychic Phenomena might be of interest depending on the group studying it.

First, Sorcerer Revised tells readers to use Psychic powers using Mystic or Technomancer tools, if they so choose, and vice versa. So while a Technocrat could study, say, Clairvoyance as purely psychic, they could just as easily employ it through sophisticated technology. Telekinesis as well could be channeled through something like a Gravity Gun from Half Life; and if you don't want the added bother of handling teleporting objects, you'd be well served substituting Telekinesis for the Path of Conjuration.

Moving to general Paths, the Path of Healing can be performed using just clever application of mundane medical tools (plus a good bedside manner, which might involve social Instruments). I suspect that in the World of Darkness, the medical community has more practitioners of the Path of Healing than the Technocracy realizes. The practitioners themselves might not even realize it, seeing their enhanced results as just being the product of good medicine. They could have figured the methods out themselves through experimentation, pieced it together from disparate medical journals, or been taught by other professionals with some knowledge of the Path (who also might not realize what they do). Any of these people could, in turn, have been picked up by the Technocracy, in order to nurture their "talent".

On the other end of the Life spectrum of Technosorcery, Shapeshifting usually involves cutting edge biotech, unless it involves mere cosmetic changes. We're talking about injections of protein sequences derived from animal DNA, or surgical grafts. For cosmetic changes, like altering one's facial features, one could use something like seen with pulp hero The Avenger (of Justice, Inc. fame). His facial muscles were left malleable, allowing him to mold his features by hand; combined with make-up and mundane disguise equipment, he could look like anyone he wished. A Technocrat could justify this with some medical treatments or drugs that keep the face shape-able. Another version of The Avenger I'm familiar with had him modify his existing traits with technology, lining his head with wires and such, so that he could slip a pre-coded punchcard into a slot in the back of his head and automatically assume the face stored on the card. A modern Technocrat could set such an augmentation so that it can be programmed and activated via WiFi, using their smart phone or other device.

Comment

Fascination is a fun one, with some varied methods, depending on which Convention you use. The Progenitors might have a gland implanted that releases pharemones. A Syndicate rep could simulate this with intelligent choice of perfume or cologne, as well as wardrobe and body language. The use of body language and psychology would allow a New World Order agent to pull off the same thing. Iteration X could use cybernetic versions of the internal pheremone release, or employ a machine that emits a high pitch tone beyond normal human hearing, that stimulates parts of people's bodies that regulate mood. This, too, could be either internal to the user, or carried in the pocket.

Hellfire is fairly easy to justify in a Technocratic sense. Various flavors of blasters, phasers, lasers, flame throwers, and supercharged "tasers" will suffice. An NWO agent with minimal Hellfire could put on a glove that, when it touches people, shocks them. Smoke-based Hellfire effects can be employed with smoke grenades so easily, it's likely smoke grenades used to BE Hellfire effects before they were accepted in the Consensus. "Decay" can be performed through acids; a Syndicate rep with a pen-shaped dispenser, or a Progenitor who takes a drug to cause their hands to sweat a corrosive liquid. A Void Engineer of the Chrononaut methodology could have a device that manipulates chronotons, forcing materials to decay at a molecular level.

Fortune is a varied Path. Syndicate reps and Iteration X Statisticians employ complicated probability analysis, with the numbers pushed one way or another by pulling the right strings. New World Order agents understand, from a psychological point of view, the power of suggestion and confidence. They know just the right thing to say to make someone's mentality more positive (and thereby capable of acting in full capacity), or to plant troubling thoughts into their heads (causing their performance to suffer). A Progenitor might have a "luck pill" on hand to give them an edge, though how they'd explain it is up to the reader.

Enchantment is dirt easy to determine. It's all about creating minor Devices, with simple purposes. If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it can probably be accomplished by inventing the correct tool. Of note is that Enchantment 5 gives the user the ability to create animated servants. These could be robots (Iteration X, Void Engineers), or clones or other bio-engineered servitors (Progenitors).

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
        Fascination is a fun one, with some varied methods, depending on which Convention you use. (...) A Syndicate rep could simulate this with intelligent choice of perfume or cologne, as well as wardrobe and body language.
        Ah, these simple and barely present foci (is this the right word to use for Sorcerers?) of the Syndicate...By this point, it can be said that anyone could use it, not just Syndicate representatives..

Comment

You can pretty much adapt any of the Technocracy books, or Virtual Adepts or I think even the Strike Force Zero. The mechanics in the background might, or might not, matter to the characters. I.e., the Sorcerer might be an 'idiot savant', not able to do as much, but able to do what he does REALLY well.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
            Ah, these simple and barely present foci (is this the right word to use for Sorcerers?) of the Syndicate...By this point, it can be said that anyone could use it, not just Syndicate representatives..
            The entire point behind many of the methods that the Syndicate and NWO use is to make them so subtle, you can't be sure they've done magic at all. This is true both of the Enlightened personnel, and of the Extraordinary Citizens. The latter is considered as understanding the methods of social control so well, they can exercise influence to a greater degree than the uneducated masses.

And Yes, it is perfectly possible for normal people to use such mundane-seeming Fascination...assuming they put as much care into the process of winning people over as a Syndicate rep or Man In Black does. Since the Syndicate has the ability to use wealth to talk for them - buying the best bespoke clothing, accessories, perfumes/colognes, hair styling, etc - it limits some of the options for normal folk to replicate their methods. But the underlying principles behind Technocrat Fascination can be employed by anyone who understands them. Whether that be by instruction, or by reinventing the wheel.

Comment

The entire point behind many of the methods that the Syndicate and NWO use is to make them so subtle, you can't be sure they've done magic at all.
              I thought the central point of the Syndicate was to control the Masses through value and currency; and to make money for the Technocracy.
              The NWO deals with information and manipulation.
              Most of the time both of these focuses are best realized through subtle and Coincidental means; however, this is a secondary focus (and one shared with the Iteration-X and the Progenitors at the very least) compared to the two central aims I outlined above. Technocratic Procedures are noted as prone to failing more so than Adjustments, and attracting Paradox; in (as far as I recall) M20 Core.

Since the Syndicate has the ability to use wealth to talk for them - buying the best bespoke clothing, accessories, perfumes/colognes, hair styling, etc - it limits some of the options for normal folk to replicate their methods.
              Upon closer inspection, I find this doesn't make much sense. The "I spent so much money on this." part of Syndicate's foci that often cited. After all, a Technocrat would have all of this - clothing, accessories, cologne - provided either by the Technocracy, or bought at much reduced prices, or received as favors. All of which a non-Syndic can organize as well.

And Yes, it is perfectly possible for normal people to use such mundane-seeming Fascination...assuming they put as much care into the process of winning people over as a Syndicate rep or Man In )Black does.
              (...)
              But the underlying principles behind Technocrat Fascination can be employed by anyone who understands them. Whether that be by instruction, or by reinventing the wheel.
              Indeed.
              Last edited by Muad'Dib; 03-21-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X