Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to create a chantry?

How to make a chantry?

Well book of chantries has all the rules for building one.

Comment

Use the system in Guide to the Traditions pages 215-216. It's an easy-to-use point buy system that works well in play.

Comment

I kind of like the ground up version of the Chantry that appears in M20. Add any number of backgrounds that represent social or magical resources, and then compare the points against the Chantry background ratings to get a feel for how powerful your Chantry is and whether it has a Realm attached. The only thing I would change would be to allow Sancta to be added to the Chantry, so that the members can have labs and ritual chambers that allow coincidental magic that would be normally quite vulgar.

Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
        Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

In-universe, or systems wise? If the latter, see the suggestions above.

If the former, it comes down to a bunch of mages getting themselves a location (house, building or part of one, even an isolated grove or cave) that is cut off from onlookers. As described in M20, the most basic form can be a secure squat. Helpful things to do on top of that is to erect Wards and Bans, to keep out unwanted scrying or intrusion. If the mages setting up the Chantry have a Master of Prime (or can hire the services of one), creating a Node would be helpful, assuming one doesn't already exist there. (Indeed, many Chantries are chosen for the Nodes they are built around). Libraries and ritual spaces are also important for any Chantry of note. Storerooms, armories, kitchens, sick rooms, and spare sleeping quarters for guests and refugees are nice to have, though not essential.

One or more of the mages who make regular use of the Chantry may have permanent rooms, and even Sancta, to themselves. Who gets such privileges is a matter of the needs of the Chantry's founders, and to the room available. Many mages prefer to keep their home and Sanctum in a separate location, for practical and security reasons. Other don't have a choice. It depends on the Chantry and the members.

Once you've figured out what you'd like to have, consult the sources referred to above for how much it's going to cost in Background points. Some cabals may "own" the Chantry in its entirety, while others may only be buying access to a larger one. A given mage might be able to enter a large Chantry with extensive resources, but not be entitled to any of those if they have no dots in Chantry.

Comment

Originally posted by Octavo View Post
            I kind of like the ground up version of the Chantry that appears in M20. Add any number of backgrounds that represent social or magical resources, and then compare the points against the Chantry background ratings to get a feel for how powerful your Chantry is and whether it has a Realm attached. The only thing I would change would be to allow Sancta to be added to the Chantry, so that the members can have labs and ritual chambers that allow coincidental magic that would be normally quite vulgar.
            I suspect that individual characters having Sancta at a Chantry is handled, mechanically, by having the character buy dots in Sanctum and then saying "it's located in the Chantry". It's the simplest solution, though it probably necessitates the character have at least one dot in Chantry as well, as prerequisite. Can't very well justify having a Sanctum inside a Chantry you aren't allowed to enter.

If we're talking about the Chantry itself having Sanctum properties, I would just add that as one of the features to be bought by the Chantry's price. In much the same way you spend the points to give it a great Library or a legion of Retainers, you'd also buy it to have a more accommodating Paradigm. Alternatively, you could assume any given Chantry has a Sanctum value equal to its Chantry rank, but I'm not so down with that.

Plus, while it's easy to justify a Sanctum protecting any single given Paradigm, it's harder to justify it allowing for an eclectic mix of varied, often contradictory belief systems. Hard, but not impossible.

Comment

I can cast coincidental effect that would normally be vulgar in my chantry?

Comment

Originally posted by Goran. View Post
                I can cast coincidental effect that would normally be vulgar in my chantry?
                In your Sanctum you can, that's what it's for. A Sanctum is basically a pocket Reality Zone that follows your Paradigm. They can be located in a Chantry.

Comment

Originally posted by Elstren View Post

In your Sanctum you can, that's what it's for. A Sanctum is basically a pocket Reality Zone that follows your Paradigm. They can be located in a Chantry.
                  How to create a Sanctum? "

Comment

Originally posted by Goran. View Post

How to create a Sanctum? "
                    Well mostly by hanging a sign on a wall that reads "sanctum".

Seriously though it can be a space for the mage to do their thing. It could be a mad scientists lab with arcing Tesla coils, a hippie crash pad complete with lava lamps, shag carpet and bean bag chairs to an underground crypt turned into an alchemy shop.

Comment

How a Sanctum is created in-universe is a point left deliberately vague. In the Revised era, you needed a minimum of 5 years of working in a space per dot in the Background in order to make that Sanctum. M20 didn't mention that rule, so it can assumed to be dropped as a requirement. It still shouldn't be easy, though, or else mages would create Sancta everywhere they go.

I would rule it as the character needing to ritual consecrate the space to their magic, in whatever way makes sense to their Focus. This isn't a game mechanics task, but a roleplaying one. The Hermetic draws wards on the walls and entryways, and performs an elaborate ceremony (or, more likely, the ceremony repeated multiple times) to establish the primacy of his Will in the space. A Chorister goes around with a censer, invoking prayers to god and wafting burning incense, and making a few passes flicking holy water around. A Virtual Adept strings wires everywhere, then renders a 3D map of the location in a virtual environment on his computer, before plastering the walls with posters of anime and bad 90s hacker movies. A Progenitor sterilizes his lab, and creates a pressurized decontamination booth. A Syndicate rep outfits his office with only the finest furniture, accessories, wall paintings, a mini bar, and telecom systems that money can buy (which is, of course, storied in the safe hidden behind one of the paintings). The Nephandus brutally kills one person every new moon for a year, painting the walls with their blood.

It's all very elaborate and personal, which is the point. The character is carving out a space in the world that obeys their worldview, not that of the Consensus. For players, it should be a chance to be creative, and really explore what their character's Focus means to them. Why they did this or that, and what it says about their magick. For players who haven't entirely decided on what direction to take their character, it can be an informative exercise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                        It still shouldn't be easy, though, or else mages would create Sancta everywhere they go..
                        In my headspace, pretty much the first order of the day when a Mage settles down in a new area, *is* to create a Sanctum. A tiny one.

This isn't instant of course - I'd wager taking a month of very regular rituals / consecration / desecration / sterilization / whathaveyou for that first Sanctum dot - but it is *such* an *essential* tool for actually even remotely practicing basic functions of some sphere levels, as well as such a paradigm-specific barely sharable thing, that I don't see the first dot needing to take longer than that.

The time and requirements to get more dots should, naturally, increase per dot.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
                        >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
                          In my headspace, pretty much the first order of the day when a Mage settles down in a new area, *is* to create a Sanctum. A tiny one.

This isn't instant of course - I'd wager taking a month of very regular rituals / consecration / desecration / sterilization / whathaveyou for that first Sanctum dot - but it is *such* an *essential* tool for actually even remotely practicing basic functions of some sphere levels, as well as such a paradigm-specific barely sharable thing, that I don't see the first dot needing to take longer than that.

The time and requirements to get more dots should, naturally, increase per dot.
                          I disagree, for one important reason: a Sanctum loses efficacy when the location is frequented by people of a different Paradigm. This is a basic aspect of Sancta, and why the books advise mages not to let just anyone come into their special place.

Therefore, it's only practical to create a Sanctum in a place that the mage controls. Anywhere else, and the Sanctum is simply too fragile to be worth the effort of establishing. This is why mages don't drop everything to create one in every hotel room, public restroom, and taxi cab. People come and go all the time, and the character is going to lose the effectiveness of that Sanctum basically the minute they leave.

Assuming he can even establish one just anywhere, which I do not think is true. I glossed over my descriptions of Sanctum creation earlier, but this is the sort of thing that takes extensive work. Performing one cleansing ritual isn't going to subvert the power of the Consensus. It takes dozens - possibly hundreds - of hours of preparation and work. Five years of work per dot isn't necessary, but it gives you a better idea of the order of magnitude we need to work on. Otherwise, mages really would just create Sancta everywhere.

And that would be game breaking. It would neuter the threat of Paradox if you could shut it out of any given location with even one day's work.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                            And that would be game breaking. It would neuter the threat of Paradox if you could shut it out of any given location with even one day's work.
                            A day's work? a day's work would be a horrible guideline :P

I wrote *a month*, which is loooots of hours invested, really. And it's not just 'every friday', but actively working on it for that month, until that first dot is achieved.
                            You are right of course - It can't be a place that is frequented by others regularly - but that's a matter of finding the right spot, not a matter of timespan involved once that spot is found and claimed.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
                            >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels

Comment

Working...
                            X