Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paradox Rating per Spell

Sooo, first post on this forum.

I read HDYDT? recently and realised, that this book recommends more than one point of paradox per effect, for certain great effects (such like using Corr5 to co-locate several locations on top of another, resulting in 5 points of paradox per location, per 10 min of effect).
    Now i'm asking, how do other STs deal with paradox in M20? I only attributed one single point of paradox to a vulgar effect up to this point, but I see how certain great effects could (and probably should) result in more points. How about rituals? I experiment in my mind, thinking about what the results could be if I would attribute a point of paradox to every single throw of Arete in the ritual, as opposed to just one point for the vulgar effect, the ritual would have. And I kind of like this idea.
    Now, I'm STing for a player who is really good and creative at avoiding paradox, at a whole. Only gathering minor points, whenever a roll botches. Vulgar spells are reeeeaaally rare. What do you think, could this be a good way of giving out more points of paradox? Or could this result in even less vulgar casting? I know, you don't know the player, but I'm just interested in different opinions.
    Thanks.

I tend to use the normal rules in games where I want the players to use big epic effects and have magical adventures. I'd use those rules in settings where I want vulgar magick to be harder (as opposed to wanting to hand out more paradox), like a more lovecraftian or covert secret agent storyline. (Personally, I find HDYDT to be a mess)

I've found that the players who avoid paradox don't care which system I use. It's all the same to them because they focus on coincidental effects.

Comment

I actually like a lot of HDYDT?. It's overly complicated at places but most things actually make sense, if you think about it for a few seconds. I was interested in it mostly because I wanted to know, how many successes of Arete the developers of Mage actually expect and how much that would do. Reading the forum, I think I'm really one of those few who actually liked the book.

That beeing said, I want magic to be dangerous and unpredictable. I am the sort of ST, who let's his players do to much crazy stuff and who regrets this afterwards, because the power scaling went through the roof quickly. Actually that's the biggest problem I have with Mage games. So I'm trying to find solutions for that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheVarulfen View Post
        ... It's overly complicated at places...
        This is what i disliked. I suppose it doesn't bother you as much.

That beeing said, I want magic to be dangerous and unpredictable.
        I do have a few games where I'd really emphasize the dangers of magick, like a 1960's lovecraftian horror mage game, a 2000's or later era magick is dying game, or a cold war era spy game.

I am the sort of ST, who let's his players do to much crazy stuff and who regrets this afterwards, because the power scaling went through the roof quickly. Actually that's the biggest problem I have with Mage games. So I'm trying to find solutions for that.
        Like what sorts of things do you regret and how did it get that way? It tend to run really high powered mage and exalted 1E and 2E games. Maybe I can help

Comment

Working...
        X