Abilities of the New Form/ Additional Abilities

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abilities of the New Form/ Additional Abilities

Hey guys, a little question about how dicepools are handled for additional abilities for new forms through Life 3/Life 4 and some more, M20 How Do you DO That has the following quote, please RAW answers if possible as the Storyteller is mostly a purist:

This “building-in” process usually requires at least one more success, per new ability, than the usual amount of successes needed for that transformation. If Jennifer were to transform herself into a fire-breathing tiger, she’d need at least four successes (three for the tiger, one for the fire) in addition to the Forces 3/ Prime 2 Effect that would allow her to breathe fire in the first place.

Extremely powerful new abilities – like the ability to radiate an aura of crackling electricity – may require two additional successes or more, depending upon the Storyteller’s judgment and the power of that Effect. Transformation into a fire-breathing woman-tiger who could teleport around with inhuman levels of speed (high Ranks of Correspondence/ Life/ Forces/ Prime/ Time) would probably take seven or eight successes, maybe even more, to complete. And yeah – that’s vulgar as fuck.

Also as mentioned above, such abilities expend one point of Quintessence per use. A poisonous bite, for example, would cost one Quintessence per venomous injection. This Quintessence typically comes from the mage’s personal supply, or from the innate life-force of a living creature if that creature isn’t a mage. (See the Quintessence Amounts chart under the Energy-Work section, p. 51.) Yes, a mage could use both her life-force and her additional Quintessence supply, but that would be literally playing a dangerous game.

So my questions are:
    1. When having a "vulgar" additional ability active I suspect it would aggrue permanent Paradox for as long as it's active; what's the rate of the Paradox gained if at all; is it one per new (vulgar) additional ability?
    2. If permanent Paradox is in fact aggrued, would I still gain another point of Paradox for each time I used the additional ability? For example, each time I breathed fire at someone.
    3. The examples offered were fire-breathing; teleporting and so on, with the requirement of the expenditure of a Quintessence point per use; my question is, what's the dice pool for such additional abilities? What is the amount of dice being rolled to teleport, or to breath fire; how much damage would it do?
    4. You can only do an Arête roll per turn, seeing as these powers have been built in into your form and you activate them through Quintessence expenditure, does that count as a full action? Could you spend a point of Quintessence to breath fire at someone while at the same turn having your full dice pool to throw a punch or move around? If that's the case, could you breath fire (through the additional ability) and still have your magickal action that turn (a different Arête roll)?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes their time to answer these!
    Last edited by Rotwood; 04-05-2017, 11:23 PM.

1. and 2. All of the examples are activated abilities. So no Permadox but indeed 1 Dox per use.
    3. I would recommend 3 levels of agg per use. This is consistent with most other flamebreathing powers and follows the damage qnd duration chart as well.
    For non damaging powers I don't see why you have to roll something.
    4. That is a serious one. RAW permits a roll for use of your instrument and Arete without penalty. So I HR that the Arete roll is not the pool to look at for multiple actions. Instead the pool you use to focus your magick. But this is not strict RAW.
    RAW you need an action for firebreathing regardless. You have to aim after all. For teleportation I could interpret it as natural movement like running and walking and such. Thus indeed no action requirements.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post
      1. and 2. All of the examples are activated abilities. So no Permadox but indeed 1 Dox per use.
      3. I would recommend 3 levels of agg per use. This is consistent with most other flamebreathing powers and follows the damage qnd duration chart as well.
      For non damaging powers I don't see why you have to roll something.
      4. That is a serious one. RAW permits a roll for use of your instrument and Arete without penalty. So I HR that the Arete roll is not the pool to look at for multiple actions. Instead the pool you use to focus your magick. But this is not strict RAW.
      RAW you need an action for firebreathing regardless. You have to aim after all. For teleportation I could interpret it as natural movement like running and walking and such. Thus indeed no action requirements.

Thanks for the input thus far, cleared some of the doubts I had but for nondamaging powers, the need to roll it would derive for example, if the in-built ability was healing: how to measure how much damage would be healed by each use of the inbuilt healing ability? Maybe 1-agg per Quintessence with you being able to use that as many times as your Avatar rating allows you to, in that turn?

Comment

Working...
      X