Rotes of Life 1-3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tuch View Post

I really see this as trying to rationalize a way around the Life 5 requirement to create life. Now granted it is only creating copies of you but Life 4 would atleast be required to create complex organs and maintian actual life. Even then I'm not sure I'd allow it.
    Well, I'm not going to debate about the actual legality of this in a particular game. I'm just putting this out there as something that could supposedly be done by a flat reading of the rules without bothering with any context whatsoever. Just to be specific, Life magick was only used to grant a creature quality and yes it is blatant loophole exploitation.
    Last edited by Spacecat; 04-17-2017, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Revan View Post

That's a pretty interesting effect. I always thought about controlling someone else's bosy to make them sleep or give them convulsions, but controlling their muscles is even better. Would it be possible to make them attack someone? Or flee? Or even say something that they don't want to someone. Afterall, everything we do is result of our body motions or chemistry. One can control the lungs, vocal chords tongue and lips to make someone talk exactly what he wants...
      Yes, although it probably wouldn't easy. Lots of successes required, and a fair Storyteller would allow the (conscious) victim to make resistance rolls with either Willpower or Stamina. If the mage can overcome this, though, then they would, indeed, have a living meat puppet.

Again, however, a Storyteller would be well within their rights to make full puppetry the province of Life 4. With Life 3 only allowing for momentary, directed muscles spasms (nothing for full combat actions like Attacking or Movement).

On the plus side, controlling a person's diaphragm in order to inhibit breathing falls squarely under Life 3, since you're trying to damage them (albeit with suffocation).

Comment

Life 3: Thicken your skin and then give yourself the ability to shed your skin like a snake. Make the most awful costumes ever.
        Life 3: Give yourself radiation resistance like a tardigrade. Meet your foes while carrying highly radioactive material. Decontaminate before the duration of your magick ends.
        Life 3: Give yourself electricity producing organs and electricity storing electrocytes. Attach these to some sort of electric device you could use to charge your electronics if you continuously discharge the right amount of electric current.

Comment

Say, could you use life 3 to give someone hiccups?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
            Yes, although it probably wouldn't easy. Lots of successes required, and a fair Storyteller would allow the (conscious) victim to make resistance rolls with either Willpower or Stamina. If the mage can overcome this, though, then they would, indeed, have a living meat puppet.

Again, however, a Storyteller would be well within their rights to make full puppetry the province of Life 4. With Life 3 only allowing for momentary, directed muscles spasms (nothing for full combat actions like Attacking or Movement).

On the plus side, controlling a person's diaphragm in order to inhibit breathing falls squarely under Life 3, since you're trying to damage them (albeit with suffocation).
            I believe a resisted roll should be made, but wouldn't it be necessary in Mind effect too?
            Life 4 allows other people complete transfiguration, which is way more complex than muscle control. You're not even transforming anything, I'd say it's Life 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Revan
              I believe a resisted roll should be made, but wouldn't it be necessary in Mind effect too?
              Life 4 allows other people complete transfiguration, which is way more complex than muscle control. You're not even transforming anything, I'd say it's Life 3.
              I think that this effect exists in the Revised Corebook as a Life rote (or as part of the Life Sphere), and it was Life 4. Don't remember why.

You don't need Mind because you're controling the person physically, without touching her perception, thought or cognition.

Comment

Life 3 - Give yourself literal eyes in the back of your head, so you can never be sneaked up on. With the proper headware - like a helmet with holes in the back that are big enough for you to see through but small enough that others can't - it might even be coincidental.

Life 3 - Toss a gun into a patch of tall grass. Proceed to animate that grass, so it can manipulate the gun. You now have a secondary, hidden "sniper", from which you can take potshots at people. Might induce an increase to difficulty on the Dex + Firearms roll (assuming you aren't using something like Manipulation instead), unless the character either has an active Correspondence 1 effect, or has a Firearms specialty in indirect firing or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post

I think that this effect exists in the Revised Corebook as a Life rote (or as part of the Life Sphere), and it was Life 4. Don't remember why.

You don't need Mind because you're controling the person physically, without touching her perception, thought or cognition.

What I meant was: wouldn`t the effect need a resisted roll if it was a Mind effect instead of a Life one? Using Mind to control somebody doesn`t need resisted rolls too?

Comment

Here's a few my group is fond of.

Life 3. Deaden Pain Receptors: removes combat wound modifers.

Life 2: Go Without: able to go without food, water and sleep for 24 hours (we require 1 point of quintessence as well)

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Revan
                      What I meant was: wouldn`t the effect need a resisted roll if it was a Mind effect instead of a Life one? Using Mind to control somebody doesn`t need resisted rolls too?
                      Yes, indeed, you can roll Willpower as a "dodge"

Comment

Life 2 - Cause a tree to grow the tiny, poisonous hairs of the Australian Stinging Tree, and trick an enemy into touching it. You know, if you're a sadistic monster.

Life 1 - Studying the rapidly decaying flesh - and the tiny decomposers that inhabit it - determine when a corpse died, and how. (Certain sources from Mage maintain that a corpse can still be manipulated with Life, while skeletons require Matter; see the Rotes for animating corpses).

Comment

What would a fruit be classified as? A simple life form or the rough equivalent of a simple life-form corpse?
                          I'm trying to think what you'd need to have a fruit grow legs and walk

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecat View Post
                            What would a fruit be classified as? A simple life form or the rough equivalent of a simple life-form corpse?
                            I'm trying to think what you'd need to have a fruit grow legs and walk

I remember an example of turning an apple into a solid golden apple as a Life 2 / Matter 2 effect. It was in a core book, probably 2nd or revised. So Life 2 sounds good.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post

I remember an example of turning an apple into a solid golden apple as a Life 2 / Matter 2 effect. It was in a core book, probably 2nd or revised. So Life 2 sounds good.
                              Cool. Then you could get a fruits to dip themselves in sweetened cream and hop into people's dessert bowls.
                              while you use Life or Matter 2 & Prime 2 to have a roast cow walk up to each banquet guest as a server follows it around and slices pieces from it.

Comment

Life 2 - Promote the growth of bacteria on someone's food as they eat it, inducing food poisoning. Good for covertly getting some away from a dinner table and towards the nearest restroom (or ambulance, as the case may be).

Life 2 - Speed up the rate of fermentation, so it produces alcohol faster. Cut the brewing time drastically. Just remember to keep everything sealed and clean, or you might end up spoiling the whole stock.

Comment

Working...
                                X