Life 2 : plants and trees

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life 2 : plants and trees

I found this in that 'cheat rotes' thread.
    Do you guys remember that crazy oak tree from Harry Potter 3 that used to smash anything that comes close enough?
    Or all those movies when plants attacks caster's enemies, restraining their movement and so on.

So I heard this all is possible with Life 2.
    I talked with my friend and he said I'd need Spirit to awaken the tree, so it can think on its own. Because 'even if it can attack, that doesnt mean it will'.
    What you think about it? I was thinking about few trees that will protect my Sanctum. But! Here's the problem. Even if it is possible, I have no idea how to determine their stats.

About plants thing.
    I need a plant that actually can restrain something. Alright, not a big deal. I need strength + brawl for them to grapple someone. But! How to know whats the strength and brawl trait of such plants? I mean, it sounds funny to me that I'd need to score like 6+ successes on my Arete roll for a such plant - to attack in only one turn with like strength 2 and brawl 3... Any other ideas?
    Also, go as much RAW as possible.
    Thank you.

I think the actual Whomping Willow would require Spirit to awaken the tree or bind a spirit within it. It genuinely appears to LIKE hitting people and goes to great effort to do so, which is definitely not normal tree behavior.

That said, there are normal plants that are carnivorous - look at a venus flytrap. So you could have very basic defenses with Life 2 only, but more in the sense of "watch out for that poisonous frog" rather than "oh god it's a whole frog ARMY".

Comment

I thought about a plant that will grapple my opponent.
      Not 'watch out for that poisonous frog' but rather from... Like:
      Guy attacks me.
      I cast magick and my plants just moves and restrains his legs.

Comment

In that case think Life 2 is fine. You're not asking the tree to make decisions about who to beat up - you're triggering a physical response manually, like a reflex. But that's not really protecting your Sanctum for you; I'd assume you'd be in your Sanctum doing stuff while you want the tree to beat people up.

Comment

What about its stats?

Comment

It's impossible to know, you will have to make it up.

This it's the system for animathing threes with the Green Path (vampiric blood magic), you could inspire on it and make an adaptation for Mage:
            The character touches the tree to be animated. The player spends a blood point and rolls normally. If the roll succeeds, the player must spend a blood point for every success. The tree stays animated for one turn per success rolled; once this time expires, the tree puts its roots down wherever it stands and cannot be animated again until the next night. While animated, the tree follows the character's verbal commands to the best of its ability. An animated tree has Strength and Stamina equal to the caster's Thaumaturgy rating, Dexterity 2 and a Brawl rating equal to the caster's own. It is immune to bashing damage, and all non-aggravated lethal damage dice pools are halved due to its size.
            Once the animating energy leaves a tree, it puts down roots immediately, regardless of what it is currently standing on. A tree re-establishing itself in the soil can punch through concrete and asphalt to find nourishing dirt and water underneath, meaning that it is entirely possible for a particularly sluggish sycamore to set up shop in the middle of a road without any warning. Abuses or misuses of this power can very easily lead to breaches of the Masquerade, and the thaumaturge who leaves a row of maples across a major traffic artery is unlikely to have the opportunity to make the same mistake twice.
            Suggestion: Instead of making the tree's attributes a function of some rating, make a list with a few trees of different sizes (Like, say: small, medium, huge, gargantuan), and give them different Traits, like, say: (Strength: 1/3/5/7, Dextrety: 2 for all, Stamina: 3/5/7/9), different Healt levels,etc. . Then make the mage roll as many successes as half the Trait dots/points+ duration and stuff.

Permuctations could be used to buff your trees, as usual.
            Last edited by Aleph; 04-14-2017, 05:16 PM.

Comment

Permuctations, what is that?

Comment

Originally posted by haldir2012 View Post
                I think the actual Whomping Willow would require Spirit to awaken the tree or bind a spirit within it. It genuinely appears to LIKE hitting people and goes to great effort to do so, which is definitely not normal tree behavior.

That said, there are normal plants that are carnivorous - look at a venus flytrap. So you could have very basic defenses with Life 2 only, but more in the sense of "watch out for that poisonous frog" rather than "oh god it's a whole frog ARMY".
                I don't get the obsession with using spirit to make self aware things. That's Minds deal. And a very high level mind deal as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Goran.
                  Permuctations, what is that?
                  I mean permutation, and with permutation I mean the fact that, with Dinamic Magick you can create a variation of an effect using other Spheres and/or levels of the same Sphere: For instance, If you can make a spell that "animates plants" with Life 2, you could use a variation to both animate a tree and make it stronger (Life 2 allows to alter simple patterns, it allows to make a simple pattern bigger), add Spirit 3 and it awakes gaining the volition of act by itself and a pressence in the Penumbra, add Forces 2 and you could provide it with resistence to fire (if your Paradigm it's ok with all of this, of course).
                  I believe that "permutation" is used sometimes to define this sort of things, but I may be wrong

Comment

Working...
                  X