Any more books on the Horizon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any more books on the Horizon?

I just want to know if there are more Classic Mage books coming. I also want folks to post the ones they'd want to see. Thank-you for your attention.

I'd like to see a book that covered a group of Genres, giving 50 pages to each. The first book could cove Action, Noir, Urban Fantasy, and "Twenty-Minuets into the Future" Sci Fi. The second book could cover Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Gothic Romance, and High Fantasy. (I want the 2nd book first, but I think there's more audience for the first) Pick your own genres for book three, but Universal Horror needs to be touched on somewhere.

Given the new Mage groups in the mainbook, we'll need more Splat books.

We had (for completeness sake):

M20 Corebook
    Truth Beyond Paradox - Story anthology
    How Do You Do That? - Magick guide / 'House Rules'

Up and coming are:

Book Of Secrets - Stuff that they didn't manage to get into the corebook. Probably gargantuan.
    Book Of The Fallen - All about the Nephandi and their ilk
    Mage CookBook - Like the W20 cookbook. Just Mage!
    Gods. Monsters and other Familiar Strangers - Creature and Character M20 book

Further down the line:

Technocracy: Reloaded - Up to date 'Guide To The Technocracy'
    Digital Web 3.0
    Rich Bastard's Guide to Magick - A Magick guide for the rich and made
    Victorian Mage - Mage in the Victorian Era. Probably heavily involving the change of the Order of Reason into the Technocracy
    Last edited by Ambrosia; 04-17-2017, 12:34 PM.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
    >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

I would like a book that touches upon a similar theme as Spirit Ways, but for the "european approach" (Order of Hermes, Celestial Chorus, Verbena, and others). Regarding angels and demons, heaven and hell, pagan gods, and how these mages deal with the spiritual.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
        I'd like to see a book that covered a group of Genres, giving 50 pages to each. The first book could cove Action, Noir, Urban Fantasy, and "Twenty-Minuets into the Future" Sci Fi. The second book could cover Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Gothic Romance, and High Fantasy. (I want the 2nd book first, but I think there's more audience for the first) Pick your own genres for book three, but Universal Horror needs to be touched on somewhere.
        Back in the day, Jess Heinig had wanted Tales of MagicK: Dark Adventure to be the first of a series of genre books. I'd personally lobbied for Occult Horror, Arcane Mystery, and Mystic Romance. But, sadly, ToMDA didn't sell well enough for it to ever happen.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
          I would like a book that touches upon a similar theme as Spirit Ways, but for the "european approach" (Order of Hermes, Celestial Chorus, Verbena, and others). Regarding angels and demons, heaven and hell, pagan gods, and how these mages deal with the spiritual.
          I'm still holding out for a version of Spirit Ways that doesn't claim that the Sami peoples of Scandinavia are extinct or that European settles and Australian Aborigines got along in perfect peace and harmony.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

That might be covered in Gods and Monsters

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Dead magic 2 has a section on European Shamanism.

Comment

Originally posted by Astromancer View Post
                Given the new Mage groups in the mainbook, we'll need more Splat books.
                Are you referring to the members of the Disparate Alliance? Or that list of vague groups that could join the Alliance?

The former aren't new at all. They're the Crafts that have been kicking around for years in the setting. This is just the first time they're in a main rulebook. Well except for the Ahl-i-Batin and Solificati as both were part of the founding Traditions and the Batin were in Dark Ages Mage.

The latter, yes they are new. Well except for Navalon. They exist in the Technocracy as a conspiracy of like-minded idealists. And I swear I've heard of the Thunder Society before though I can't remember where. Also the Mirainohmen is the Persona games.

Which I would actually love it if they ran with that for them. Taking a cue from the VA and how the films Tron and the Matrix inspired some Sleepers to Awaken with beliefs leaning towards the VA's, a popular JRPG series does the same, creating a new generation of Orphans that develop into Craft based on concepts from the games.

That said they did miss some Crafts like the Hem-Ka Sobk. Though thankfully they didn't include the Craft of cross-dressing demon-worshipers.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post

Are you referring to the members of the Disparate Alliance? Or that list of vague groups that could join the Alliance?

The former aren't new at all. They're the Crafts that have been kicking around for years in the setting. This is just the first time they're in a main rulebook. Well except for the Ahl-i-Batin and Solificati as both were pa rt of the founding Traditions and the Batin were in Dark Ages Mage.

The latter, yes they are new. Well except for Navalon. They exist in the Technocracy as a conspiracy of like-minded idealists. And I swear I've heard of the Thunder Society before though I can't remember where. Also the Mirainohmen is the Persona games.

Which I would actually love it if they ran with that for them. Taking a cue from the VA and how the films Tron and the Matrix inspired some Sleepers to Awaken with beliefs leaning towards the VA's, a popular JRPG series does the same, creating a new generation of Orphans that develop into Craft based on concepts from the games.

That said they did miss some Crafts like the Hem-Ka Sobk. Though thankfully they didn't include the Craft of cross-dressing demon-worshipers.
                  I like Persona as inspiration but I think its a bit narrow for a whole Craft. I'm more towards the idea of them being a broad "Otaku" craft. Plenty of anime, Manga and light novels get really detailed on their principles of magic and Science and Magic not mixing is much more of a Certain exception than the rule.. Though the idea of something like rare first editions of video games functionally being libraries and grimoires has a certain appeal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I like Persona as inspiration but I think its a bit narrow for a whole Craft. I'm more towards the idea of them being a broad "Otaku" craft. Plenty of anime, Manga and light novels get really detailed on their principles of magic and Science and Magic not mixing is much more of a Certain exception than the rule.. Though the idea of something like rare first editions of video games functionally being libraries and grimoires has a certain appeal.
                    I would say the same thing but the Mirainohmen are described exactly like the Protagonists and Party of the Persona games. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if someone involved in M20 was a fan.

Also, Crafts are meant to be mostly small, localized groups. A couple dozen young Japanese Mages inspired by the game series would fit in that regard.

Homo sapiens. What an inventive, invincible species. It's only a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenceless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable. Indomitable.

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post

Dead magic 2 has a section on European Shamanism.
                      European shamanism isn't what I am talking about . Shamanism it's shamanism, Spirit Ways covers it as well, including "shamans that see angels".

What I was pointing at it's more the "Classic Ways", that are very much alive in the OoH and the Chorus, they're not european shamans and never were (well, not most of them anyway). Verbena-like pagan religion can be found arround various types of Dead Magic, including greek gods, the Golden People and stuff...but it's woefully not enough. Hermetic angelology and demonology can't be covered by the material we have in Death Magic (granted, their approach to greek religion it's pretty well covered including their history in Rome), and these aren't compatible with how the Chorus sees this stuff.

The book I proppose should be an expansion of what we know about the practice of these traditions that are bassed on what we could call call "classic culture" or "continental magic" (just like Spirit Ways its an expansion on "shamanism-like" practices). It's not that there isn't info about this, but it's few and fragmented.

For instance, in Forged by Dragons Fire we have "angelic fetishes", mentioned nowhere else. OoH Tradition book has summonings. Book of World has the most complete data on Angelics, but from the PoV of a book about the Umbra (and it's OLD). Celestial Chorus has nothing about angels (but what they have about faith it's interesting, certainly part of the "spirituality" of the tradition)...I think we could have more on the subject.
                      Last edited by Aleph; 04-18-2017, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence
                        I'm still holding out for a version of Spirit Ways that doesn't claim that the Sami peoples of Scandinavia are extinct or that European settles and Australian Aborigines got along in perfect peace and harmony.
                        Ah, WoD... Sloppy research, stereotypes, and unwanted social opinions have been part of WoD from the begining. We can only hope that the books are going to get better. Sometimes (more than a few times) they *do* bring up interesting and well researched stuff, thus my hopes aren't bad on this. But I wouldn't bet on a new Spirit Ways.

Originally posted by Saikou
                        That might be covered in Gods and Monsters
                        I think it's possible for most of what I want to be covered between the Book of Secrets and Gods and Monsters. I wouold like to have better rules for Archmasters in one of these two (never liked the ones of MotA, but I don't think another book it's necessary).

Comment

I wouold like to have better rules for Archmasters in one of these two (never liked the ones of MotA, but I don't think another book it's necessary).
                          As a quick sidenote, I always liked the relatively simple 6th level spheres as described in the "Horizon: Stronghold of Hope" book. If somebody consider the MotA Archsphere setup too convoluted or bloated, they are a very nice (and simple) alternative and extensions of the already powerful first five levels.

Also amusingly, many don't know they are in there.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
                          >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
                            Technocracy: Reloaded - Up to date 'Guide To The Technocracy'
                            Do we know if they will give a bit more focus (maybe not a ton, but a fair amount) on Iteration X in light of their most recent Convention Book being so out of date? The Avatar storm (depending on severe an ST made/makes it and if it still persists in a modern-day chronicle) must have affected them a lot (though not as much as the Void Engineers, of course).

Comment

Ah, WoD... Sloppy research, stereotypes, and unwanted social opinions have been part of WoD from the begining.
                              This was much later, when most of the games had a lineup of freelancers who actually knew how to do research or were actually involved with the cultures they were writing about. John Snead, for example, (who wrote the parts of Spirit Ways that were actually good and/or useful, as well as co-writing the revised Dreamspeakers book) has an MA in Cultural Anthropology and a very long interest in shamanism and animism. As I recall, Spirit Ways was in development during a period of abrupt developer change and in the build up to the revised edition of the game, which is part of why so much seemed to slip through the cracks like that.

Personally, I've always wanted a WoD: Shaman book that would cover real world animistic beliefs and practices from around the globe, including their syncretic mergers with various strains of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and so forth, how such things work or can be interpreted in the World of Darkness's "dark animist" cosmology, how various supernatural beings view or interact with shaman, the place shaman have in the twilight world between normal people and full blown creatures of darkness, and running a game of just shaman characters.

Comment

Working...
                              X