Any more books on the Horizon?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    Personally, I've always wanted a WoD: Shaman book that would cover real world animistic beliefs and practices from around the globe, including their syncretic mergers with various strains of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and so forth, how such things work or can be interpreted in the World of Darkness's "dark animist" cosmology, how various supernatural beings view or interact with shaman, the place shaman have in the twilight world between normal people and full blown creatures of darkness, and running a game of just shaman characters.
    Along the same line, I could really do with a Paradigma style book which went full scale into Magical Pseudo-Sciences. There would be your standard Jules Verne era Sci-fi Steam Punk, but it would also look at the scientific theory of other practices such as Homeopathy, Astrology, Psychic powers, Alchemy, Sooth saying, Spiritual contact, Chi energy, and the scientific argument for the Soul.

It could be a mixture of articles and letters along with seminar notes and methods, all with a number of Editors notes trying to pull together all these divergent and often clashing theories into some semblance of logic.

For example. I remember reading some website that tried to explain how Aura's worked by describing the "underused" cones in the eye sitting on the sides of the retina, and how they are able to pick up light which is bent by the emotional energy of the subject, but that most of us have learned to ignore this light as our brains are hardwired to edit out anything that isn't immediately pertinent to survival. Theories like this would be really cool to have in one place.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running Chapter 35: Rising Tensions

Comment

Aren't there supposed to be more alternate focus/paradigms in the "near" future release book of secrets?

Comment

Back in the final years of the original WoD run, there were a lot of people who lamented the death of White Wolf Magazine, as it would've been a great place to include articles about things like exotic diseases, weird scientific theories, obscure religious sects, interesting subcultures and curious historical events. Sadly, with Inphobia, they decided to go with "look how avant gardely hip and full of attitude we are!" instead.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

If WW had ever done a properly useful players' guide for any of their games, a Mage one would've certainly needed a section on "this is how you develop and fine tune a mystical paradigm for your character", complete with three or four examples (if not a go-to default for each of the Traditions and the Hollow Ones).

But then if I'd been Mage developer (with perfect hindsight), I'd have also done entire books devoted to Technomancy, Spirit-Talkers, shape-changers, healers, seers/diviners, and Ars Cupidae, each going into depth about foci, paradigms and what theories you can sell a potential witness on to avoid paradox.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by AkatsukiLeader13 View Post

I would say the same thing but the Mirainohmen are described exactly like the Protagonists and Party of the Persona games. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if someone involved in M20 was a fan.

Also, Crafts are meant to be mostly small, localized groups. A couple dozen young Japanese Mages inspired by the game series would fit in that regard.
            I would say we get very little description of the Mirainohmen and the Persona series is practically a cult following Crafts are meant to cover fully realized cultures you have for Crafts: Chinese High Ritual magic,two middle eastern mystic variants, Voodun, Polynesian mysticism, Western ALchemy, Amazons, Templars.. Goths. People who played Persona unless its a primer would be a small cabal of orphans at best with maybe 1 person from the international p5 release.

Conversely a broader Otaku Craft would give it the numbers of a couple of Dozen Japanese Mages...

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence
              If WW had ever done a properly useful players' guide for any of their games, a Mage one would've certainly needed a section on "this is how you develop and fine tune a mystical paradigm for your character", complete with three or four examples (if not a go-to default for each of the Traditions and the Hollow Ones).

But then if I'd been Mage developer (with perfect hindsight), I'd have also done entire books devoted to Technomancy, Spirit-Talkers, shape-changers, healers, seers/diviners, and Ars Cupidae, each going into depth about foci, paradigms and what theories you can sell a potential witness on to avoid paradox.
              Yeah, that would be great.

That being said, I also like this idea:
              Personally, I've always wanted a WoD: Shaman book that would cover real world animistic beliefs and practices from around the globe, including their syncretic mergers with various strains of Christianity, Islam, Buddhism and so forth, how such things work or can be interpreted in the World of Darkness's "dark animist" cosmology, how various supernatural beings view or interact with shaman, the place shaman have in the twilight world between normal people and full blown creatures of darkness, and running a game of just shaman characters.
              Because it goes beyond mages to explore the concept in the whole supernatural spectrum. Also, it could be interesting to see how spirits react to shamans everywhere.

If we got combine that with this:
              Originally posted by Saikou
              Along the same line, I could really do with a Paradigma style book which went full scale into Magical Pseudo-Sciences. There would be your standard Jules Verne era Sci-fi Steam Punk, but it would also look at the scientific theory of other practices such as Homeopathy, Astrology, Psychic powers, Alchemy, Sooth saying, Spiritual contact, Chi energy, and the scientific argument for the Soul.
              In a world where the supernatural exists, and there's things like techno-thaumaturgy, techno-sorcery, techno-shamanism, one would think that this Mad Science thing would be stronger. A WoD book of how to deal with this could be done. It could be interesting to explore the fringe aspects of society that engage and develop these practices. And we could use this book to tackle Aliens once and for all (who they are if not spirits, what they do, and about the humans and supernaturals that come in contact with them).

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
                In a world where the supernatural exists, and there's things like techno-thaumaturgy, techno-sorcery, techno-shamanism, one would think that this Mad Science thing would be stronger. A WoD book of how to deal with this could be done. It could be interesting to explore the fringe aspects of society that engage and develop these practices. And we could use this book to tackle Aliens once and for all (who they are if not spirits, what they do, and about the humans and supernaturals that come in contact with them).
                I've long wanted a "WoD: Dark Science" book, that would delve into stuff like David Cronenberg's The Fly, Re-Animator, Body Parts, Splice, and the like. Not just the Mage "weird science" Sons of Ether perspective, but stuff like the material in Time of Thin Blood, assorted Tremere and Tzimisce experiments, Weaver-inspired freak shows, nightmares of science in the Dreaming, and the crazy stuff that can be done in the lands of the dead, as well as what mundane mortals can get up to in the World of Darkness.

Comment

Originally posted by Imperator View Post
                  Do we know if they will give a bit more focus (maybe not a ton, but a fair amount) on Iteration X in light of their most recent Convention Book being so out of date? The Avatar storm (depending on severe an ST made/makes it and if it still persists in a modern-day chronicle) must have affected them a lot (though not as much as the Void Engineers, of course).
                  ‚ÄčNo idea at all yet. I certainly hope so!

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
                  >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels

Comment

Working...
                  X