Supreme Arrogance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supreme Arrogance

I was spitballing an idea for a character. Something like Maui from Moana. Someone who gets by on pure self-confidence (read total arrogance). What tradition might that support? What spheres might support that (Prime, Force, and Life)?

OoH
    Hollow Ones
    Some Orphan
    Modern or Primal Verbenae
    Celestial Chorus

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Just.... be a mage. Not being arrogant is the exception to the rule in Mage. The whole process of thinking that you have the special power to bend reality to your whims is something that takes a supreme level of self-confidence even in the mages that avoid total arrogance in the process.

Spheres are probably the least important factor here compared to getting one to the 3rd dot with a healthy spread of 1-2 dots in a few key ones (Correspondence, Entropy, Life, Mind, Prime).

High Willpower is a must (since it not only represents this mentality as a trait, spending WP on actions lets you succeed at them more easily). Backgrounds like Avatar, Blessing, and Legend are all big boosts here (esp. for M20). Merits like Daredevil, Iron-Will (a bit less so, but helps avoid anyone trying to use Mind to make you less arrogant!), and Legendary Attribute can also help a lot.

Comment

The first time I read mage, I misread Arete and Arrogance. My ST at the time said I wasn't all that far off.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running Chapter 35: Rising Tensions

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post
          OoH
          Hollow Ones
          Some Orphan
          Modern or Primal Verbenae
          Celestial Chorus
          Don't forget the Society of Ether. Members of the Adventurer or Dissident (aka "Mad Scientist") factions would work very well for this. Adventurers especially, since they can get away with fewer technical skills, and more heroic bravado. Just a few dots in Technology and Science would be enough for the few gadgets the character employs, and some training in Martial Arts. Charm, wit, and confidence can carry such a character the rest of the way.

A Dissident, meanwhile, requires more technical skills generally. But Mad Scientists can be enormously conceited. All Etherites believe their pet scientific theories are brilliant and superior, but one that is more Mad Scientist than most will take this to eleven. The standard "they called me mad!" business, that accompanies a lone genius with delusions of grandeur. For them, they can always succeed, because their brilliance is maximum.

Comment

Working...
          X