Human to Djinn transformation ideas?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Human to Djinn transformation ideas?

I am trying to think of ways a human might be transformed into a Djinn. It's for a story idea I have bouncing around in my head involving the kidnapped daughter of a Taftani but am sure if it will work.

As I understand it, if you stay too long in a spirit realm you will become a spirit of that realm. So if a human stays too long in a Djinn realm, shouldn't they become a Djinn?

Originally posted by Mercurial View Post
    As I understand it, if you stay too long in a spirit realm you will become a spirit of that realm. So if a human stays too long in a Djinn realm, shouldn't they become a Djinn?
    Yes, but they forget what they once were. It's the worse case of loss of self.

Comment

I am trying to think of ways a human might be transformed into a Djinn. It's for a story idea I have bouncing around in my head involving the kidnapped daughter of a Taftani but am sure if it will work.

Its more or less the case, there are ways to stop it, expand the time reduce the time etc.

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post

Yes, but they forget what they once were. It's the worse case of loss of self.
        Is that a new rule? I thought that part of the suffering was dwelling on what you lost.

Comment

given that djinn are mages themselves i don't think just stayingg on their realm will do the trich tbh

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
            given that djinn are mages themselves i don't think just stayingg on their realm will do the trich tbh

I think Djinn are supposed to be a cross between spirits and bygones. Or has there been new information in M20?

Comment

I think Djinn are supposed to be a cross between spirits and bygones. Or has there been new information in M20?
              They will probably get a write up in M20 Monsters, gods and something something...

Comment

Originally posted by BurritoMage View Post

They will probably get a write up in M20 Monsters, gods and something something...

I really want to see what they do with their time. They are different from other spirits in their awareness and will. I wonder what sort of magic they train in besides simple charms. And I wonder how they develop charms.

Comment

in dark ages mage they are explicitly given mage pillars. even before that they were described as being "perfect" and "complete" which is precisely why they were pissed off when they were beaten by humans. fluff describes them as magic users,it's just that the system was not given(as is typical for whitewolf books) until later

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
                    in dark ages mage they are explicitly given mage pillars. even before that they were described as being "perfect" and "complete" which is precisely why they were pissed off when they were beaten by humans. fluff describes them as magic users,it's just that the system was not given(as is typical for whitewolf books) until later
                    Seriously? That is more over the top than I had imagined. So do I give them Spheres and Arete? Do they pursue Ascension?

Comment

Seriously? That is more over the top than I had imagined. So do I give them Spheres and Arete? Do they pursue Ascension?

i suppose you could.. as for Ascension..that is an interesting question but i'd say no. it's not so much that they have avatars as that they "are" at any rate ascension is a physical thing.
                      though they do describe themselves as servents of Unity. so ..maybe?

Comment

Alot of spirits got write ups with spheres in the past as simplifications

Comment

I imagine that allowing yourself to become a djinn would preclude you from Ascension, in much the same way gods and Archmages can't Ascend.

Comment

Djinn are unique types of spirits, they aren't like normal spirits, you know like Elementals and Cat spirits, they are unique like Fallen Angels and Faeries, they don't follow the Shapeshifter pact for instance.

I would say the most logical bet would be to have a God level Djinn, Sultan and Caliph Level, transform the child into a Djinn. It seems most fitting. You don't after all accidentally become something like a Djinn, you would more likely become something like an Elemental or servant spirit if you stayed to long in a Djinn's umbral Seraglio.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

(Just jumping in...)

Powerful Djinni *were* given Arete/Spheres, in addition to Charms, in the Ascension setting. (Not home/near books, but they were stat'd out with such towards the end of Revised.) They similarly had Foundations/Pillars in DA:M. Djinn, unlike angels and demons, are "complete" beings, metaphysically; they have god-shards (Avatars, Eidelons, Daemons, Founts, Sahus, whatever you want to call them) just as humans do (and, because they are more ephemeral than humans, are more integrated with their spiritual selves than humans usually -- not always, but usually -- are). It's one of the reasons both in-game and in terms of real-life metaphysical beliefs (particularly among old-school Muslims and Kabbalists, among others) that Djinn are supposed to dislike humans -- they feel usurped by humans in the scheme of the cosmos, as humans are also "god" as they (Djinn) are, but are more directly physical beings whose short/mortal lifespans seem like "throwing pearls before swine", as it were. (Further Note: in some DA/Sorcerers Crusade settings, the god-shard/Daemon within the mage *is* a Djinn -- one who incarnated as a human being so as to see "what all the fuss is about".)

It's important to note, though, that just as most mages aren't equal in power (whether by Foundation/Arete, Pillars/Spheres, the strength of their Avatar, et al), so, too, are Djinn very different in stature and power. Many Djinn grant "wishes" by dint of hard work and chicanery. Only the much more powerful Djinn (who are often much less "controllable"/more difficult to barter-bargain with) are among those who can work miracles with sometimes "just the blink of an eye". (Such as the powerful Djinn in The Grimoire, Ayeesha(sp), who had Foundation:4, four pillars at 4, and a wide assortment of charms... along with a violent temper and a desire to kill most people on sight...)

As far as Djinn-as-Bygones... while Djinn are not as directly affected by Paradox via their magic(k) as mages are (often, the Paradox accrued for granting a wish or wishes is levied on the wish-maker, and less-so on the Djinn), they *do* find (per alluded examples) the Modern Era to be uncomfortable. While much like Marauders they may not be as adversely affected by Paradox/Disbelief as most mages/bygones, they are influenced by it. (But, then again, given that many of them have existed since literally before humans, proper, came into being, the "current era" is just another bump on the road -- they just steer clear, for the most part, of the mundane world until it gets its act together...)

(Of course, in the Dark Ages and earlier settings... things are a bit different, to say the least... )

EDIT: oh, as far as Ascension: to my knowledge, nothing has been written book-wise as to whether that is anything they pursue to any degree. Using real-world knowledge of the beliefs behind Djinn/Isfrit and similar, the most likely answer -- even when adjusted for the game-setting conceits -- is no. It's probably not even something the vast majority of them would ever even think about, let alone seek out. Most Djinn already believe themselves to be essentially perfect spiritual beings -- a boast while which not absolutely true *does* have a degree of merit backing it -- so the idea of "Ascension", for them, would likely be something that wouldn't even occur to them. As far as most would be concerned, they already *are* "Ascended" -- it's us puny mortal-mages who have to "catch up", as it were....
                              Last edited by Just John, Forever...; 05-02-2017, 01:12 PM.

I have been around here for waaaayyyy too fucking long...

Comment

Working...
                              X