M20 - How to Create a Temporarily Bulletproof Leather Coat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nonsense
    • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
    Why not? In that case, surely summoning a katana or a pair of guns inside your trenchcoat it's not only Coincident, but has a -1 to difficulty
    That clearly is a Mythical Thread. Albeit a recent one.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

• Bluecho
      • May 2015

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post

That clearly is a Mythical Thread. Albeit a recent one.
      Exactly. If the NWO can exploit Mythic Threads (sorry, "Hypernarratives") by wearing black suits and mirrorshades, Traditionalists should be able to go full Matrix and expect similar results, Mythic Thread-wise.

Comment

• Warpwind
        • Nov 2014

That is well mentioned in M20. What else is cosplay if not a modern mystic thread? As I see it, consensus is like a theater stage. You gotta keep with mood and theme or the director paradox will come down and whack you. On the other hand, nobody cares what goes in on the backstage. IN some cases being Outlandishly Mystical would probably generate less paradox.

Comment

• Dogstar
          • Mar 2016

Interesting, theoretically a starting character with Forces 2, Matter 2, and Prime 2 could make bulletproof clothing trinkets under the M20 rules.

Comment

• Ambrosia
            • Jun 2015

There is one disadvantage to the Forces 2, Matter 2 way; Since there is no situational 'trigger' involved, the piece of clothing will *always* push aside kinetic force getting too close to it.
            Unless you limit the area that is affected by Forces 2, it might be hard to get your hands close enough to wear the damn thing, and people trying to pat you on the shoulder might be in for a surprise
            I,e, the Forces 2 / Matter 2 combo is best cast before actual combat.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
            cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
            EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

• Bluecho
              • May 2015

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
              There is one disadvantage to the Forces 2, Matter 2 way; Since there is no situational 'trigger' involved, the piece of clothing will *always* push aside kinetic force getting too close to it.
              Unless you limit the area that is affected by Forces 2, it might be hard to get your hands close enough to wear the damn thing, and people trying to pat you on the shoulder might be in for a surprise
              I,e, the Forces 2 / Matter 2 combo is best cast before actual combat.
              Unless you tailor the effect to only work on kinetic force above a certain threshold of velocity. If it moves as fast as a bullet, it bounces off. If it's slower than that, it doesn't. Indeed, I would personally mandate that the Effect be that specific, and require them to erect another shield for lower velocities. Generally I like my Forces shields to be specific; fire, lightning, bullets, gravity, etc.

But anyway, if it's only above a certain threshold, then the effect causes no problems.

Alternatively, you could be a fair Storyteller, and allow the Mage enough control over their own magick, so they can selectively turn off or allow kinetic forces through as they desire. They control the power, not the other way around. Usually.

Comment

• Tuch
                • Nov 2013

For our group we allow Matter 2 alone to create the reinforced armor listed in the armor section up to a soak rating of 3. We require Matter 3 to get to soak rating 5 though this is puely for balance reasons. With the addition of Prime 2 aggravated damage may be soaked as well. We go the route of 1 success + 1 success per soak rating, + 10 successes for permanent. Of course coutermagick can undo it.

Comment

• CaptOtter
                  • Feb 2014

I actually started a thread on this topic a couple of years ago where I went through the Quintessence and success "economy" of creating an article of clothing (I chose a morph suit) warded against bullets. Hope it helps!

Tell me if this "washes": (NOTE: Obviously I'm the storyteller and I can do what I please--I assure you all I've not forgotten this most sacrosanct of

Sig

Comment

• Nonsense
                    • Jun 2016

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
                    Alternatively, you could be a fair Storyteller, and allow the Mage enough control over their own magick, so they can selectively turn off or allow kinetic forces through as they desire. They control the power, not the other way around. Usually.
                    Perfectly reasonable, as long as it is not a locked effect.
                    A locked effect is no longer under your direct control. You made it part of the pattern of the target.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Working...