Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mage the Ascension revised metaplot references

Hi,

I'm currently trying to lead a chronicle to the avatar storm event. I would like to stay close to the official metaplot KDE pending whether I like it or not) but I lack references to that part of the storyline.

I read the Ascension Warrior trilogy to get the events of the Horizon War but where can I find references about the avatar storm, it's appearance and the events happening at that time? Tradition books describe what is before, Revised Tradition books describe what is after, and I find nothing describing what actually happened.

Any information?

Thanks!

Originally posted by NicoTheDuck View Post
    Hi,

I'm currently trying to lead a chronicle to the avatar storm event. I would like to stay close to the official metaplot KDE pending whether I like it or not) but I lack references to that part of the storyline.

I read the Ascension Warrior trilogy to get the events of the Horizon War but where can I find references about the avatar storm, it's appearance and the events happening at that time? Tradition books describe what is before, Revised Tradition books describe what is after, and I find nothing describing what actually happened.

Any information?

Thanks!
    How deep into the metaplot do you want to go?
    Because to get the full story, you'll probably need to read the Wraith book End of Empires.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Actually I do not know. Cross overs are an option but I would like to avoid it if I can (at least for now).

In this arc of my chronicle, my players are Adepts of the Art. They have become quite powerful in the previous arc and I would like to lead them to the War in Heavens.

Now, they attracted the eyes of the Council because of their numerous and glorious deeds. The beginning of this new arc is played at Horizon. I would like to play the events of the Ascension Warrior pretty soon.

The objective is to put them in the position they can decide whether to give up on the traditions or become the new masters after the destruction of the great chantries and horizon realms.

I have yet to decide if I merge the events of the Horizon War and the Avatar Storm. It seems awkward to me that both events are unrelated since they happen in less than a year.

But there may be reasons, hence my research on the beginning of the revised metaplot. If I am not convince, I will play the avatar storm as a result of the Horizon War and not the result of the destruction of Zapathasura.

Comment

To get the creation of the Avatar Storm, you need to indeed read at least two things:

Said "End of Empires" Wraith book in at least some parts (It includes an important Mage), but also "The Week of Nightmares" chapter at the end of "Time Of Thin Blood" for Vampire. The latter includes splats from Vampire, Werewolf, Mage and the Kuei-Jin as things unfold. It's also kind of an exciting read.

It's less about actual Crossovers, than this event being an all-sphere-encompassing, utter catastrophe on multiple levels. Heck, it brought the end to Wraith and Changeling in-game (Sans the new 20th treatments which has the Changelings resurface, and Wraith..well, we'll see..), actually jumpstarted Demon and Hunter events in-game, almost destroyed all Ravnos, turned the Tal'Mahe'Ra city of Enoch into soulglass and kickstarted the Avatar Storm.

It's what flipped the switch from 2nd to Revised edition, Metaplot-wise.
        Last edited by Ambrosia; 09-11-2017, 10:40 AM.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
        >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Time of Thin Blood didn't end changeling.

Comment

I will check my library. I probably have the vampire book but not the other one. I have a friend into Wraith. May be he's got it.

Thabks for the tip.

Did you ever try to play those events? Do you have feed back? My fear is that my players feel like they have no choice. If you did play it,how did you avoid that? I tend to let much freedom to my players but this will be the first time I absolutely need an event to happen. Moving to the post avatar storm era is kind of the point to this part of the chronicle.

Comment

Originally posted by loomer View Post
              Time of Thin Blood didn't end changeling.
              Huh. I thought /somewhere/ along those events, the ending of the Changling gameline was also explained in-world. I must be misremembering.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
              >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post
                Huh. I thought /somewhere/ along those events, the ending of the Changling gameline was also explained in-world. I must be misremembering.
                Yeah, none of it ended the Changeling line, BUUUUUUUUT, they didn't publish very much for the line after that.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

I just thought Changeling just unceremoniously ended. They did the winter stuff, but apart from that just dropped it fairly unceremoniously.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
                    I just thought Changeling just unceremoniously ended. They did the winter stuff, but apart from that just dropped it fairly unceremoniously.
                    Yeah, that's basically what happened. They stopped publishing books for it. They rounded everything up in the Big Book of Endings (aka Time of Judgement) along with all the other dangling lines.

On the bright side, less to backtrack on for C20.

- If you must be ridiculous, I must ridicule you.
                    - Those that can give up essential liberties in exchange for temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. -- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Oh, a random note, Nico;
                      I was looking for more material on Mage metaplot, and I found out that in "Tales of Magick: Dark Adventure" There is a whole chapter about the Mage Metaplot events between 2nd and Revised, including the Concordia War. You might wanna peek at that book.

EDIT:
                      To list, it contains plot info and story hook options for
                      * The Concordia War
                      * The War Of Ruins on Mars and Mars' umbralscape after the fall of Doissetep
                      * Project Invictus' N.W.O. sponsored covert op against SPD.
                      * The hunt for Voormas' floating Chantry of Helekar
                      Last edited by Ambrosia; 09-14-2017, 04:00 AM.

Comment

Didn't Helekar's Chantry reveal itself to be some kind of necro-kaiju and get up and run off?
                        Last edited by Ajax; 09-14-2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I thank you very much. With all that info, I'll decide what I'll do. I fear that playing both events (Horizon War and Avatar Storm) will be perceived as two failures by my players, which can be a lot to take on.

My idea was to merge both events saying that the bomb was launched on Concordia to destroy the Ascension Warrior semigod. I'm still poundering ^^

Comment

Originally posted by NicoTheDuck View Post
                            I thank you very much. With all that info, I'll decide what I'll do. I fear that playing both events (Horizon War and Avatar Storm) will be perceived as two failures by my players, which can be a lot to take on.

My idea was to merge both events saying that the bomb was launched on Concordia to destroy the Ascension Warrior semigod. I'm still poundering ^^
                            Or you could do the opposite: Your players may be very capable but they probably can't be everywhere at once (well, not without Correspondence 4/Spirit 3-5, and even that may have downsides).

*Generating the Storn as the result of many seemingly unconected events would provide you with enough leeway to make it happen even if the players succeed at stoping one or two of them (you could, perhaps, reward them by reducing the intensity of the Storm a little or allowing a few Masters to escape)

*If the Ascencion Warrior isn't omnipotent but has many alies and a lot of schemes going on, the War will be on several fronts (at least Doissetep and Concordia, fell free to include more) and the main consequences of the event may happen even if the players manage to kill the demigod.

Even if you manage to, say, impede Concordia fall: the explosion of Doissetep combined with the damage of the attack and the Storm first winds (that affected allt he Umbra) may still force everyone to flee the Realm, and a lot of Masters, if not all of them, will die as consequence. Why players didn't stop the Storm?, because they were busy stopping a demigod. That way your players are free to do what they can, but they probably can't do everything and may have to choose what to save. If everything goes to hell, your players may regard a few victories as the best that could have happened. That's very different, I think, from failing to stop a wizard because he has Plot Armor.
                            Last edited by Aleph; 09-14-2017, 02:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajax View Post
                              Didn't Helekar's Chanrty reveal itself to be some kind of necro-kaiju and get up and run off?
                              That sounds amazing, scary, crazy, and I want to subscribe to its newsletter.

Comment

Working...
                              X