• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scientology

Would you say that the Church of Scientology is:
    An NWO run social experiment on cult activity and behaviour,
    A syndicate run financial scheme which sources NWO agents to keep it going,
    A mystic practice formed by breakaways from the technocracy (and thus have a good reason to be so paranoid)
    A nephandi infiltrated etherite cabal,
    Or simply a bunch of sleepers making a fine mess all on their own?

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

It depends on a the needs of your game, doesn't it?

Canon-wise the simple principle of 'don't be deliberately offensive to people' precludes it being a Technocratic or Nephandic plot. Like any religion in Mage, there's a possibility it is true, a possibility that it reflects an aspect of reality, and a possibility that sleepers just made it up. Any mage involvement will be set up in such a way that it doesn't invalidate the actual beliefs of the group. So the Church of Scientology might have benefited from Technocratic funding but it was not invented by the Technocracy, etc.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

Originally posted by Ramnesis View Post
      It depends on a the needs of your game, doesn't it?

Canon-wise the simple principle of 'don't be deliberately offensive to people' precludes it being a Technocratic or Nephandic plot. Like any religion in Mage, there's a possibility it is true, a possibility that it reflects an aspect of reality, and a possibility that sleepers just made it up. Any mage involvement will be set up in such a way that it doesn't invalidate the actual beliefs of the group. So the Church of Scientology might have benefited from Technocratic funding but it was not invented by the Technocracy, etc.
      I'm not really looking for a canon or even "correct" answer, just interested in how people would interpret things if placed in mage. I understand you can revise anything to fit your game, and interpret whatever you'd like as whatever you need, but thank you for the reminder.

On a different note,I'm not sure being deliberately offensive to people would naturally preclude it from either factions. The technocracy has its fair share of nasty people as does any organisation, while the nephandi typically encourage them. The nephandi are only concerned if such activity makes their activity too easy to track, but then sleepers tend to be pretty nasty people anyway, so how would this be any different.

Also, there may be nephandi who see the use in keeping the blatantly brutal members around as it pushes suspicion away from them and on to the brutal guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
        A mystic practice formed by breakaways from the technocracy (and thus have a good reason to be so paranoid)
        It seems bizarre enough to fit this best. While it has had certain 'success', it has also had a fair amount of failure as far as being taken seriously by the media and general public.

Comment

Given that Scientology preaches vehemently against modern Psychology and therapy, I doubt it is run by the Technocracy. Technocrats almost certainly have fingers in it, like they do with all major publicly known institutions, but they don't direct it. The NWO probably can't stand it. More likely, it's the Syndicate making money off the church.

Comment

A quasi-technomantic Craft, if it's anything other than what it is in real life.

Comment

I'm really not sure. My difficulty is that the organisation gives a definite Nephandi vibe, but at this point, Scientology has been an enemy in RPGs for thirty years almost, it's just so obvious.

I like what Awakening did with Scientology where it's a cult of Banishers, (so it's basically a group of low level Marauders).

Comment

A creation of Pentex! sorry but thats my take.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince of the Night View Post
                  A creation of Pentex! sorry but thats my take.
                  I’m thinking more like a Nephandus cult. Not started by one but eventually co-opted by one.

Comment

Some of its more bizarre beliefs is a brand of pseudoscience that feels very Etherite to me.

Comment

Maybe they are a mundane human group. Perhaps they are a front for a Fallen from Demon: The Fallen, or a group of them.

Comment

Why would you say any of those things and not the obvious answer of "Sons of Ether gone wild"? Scientology would be the poster child for etherite "common psychology is bullshit, we make our own psychology!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
                          Why would you say any of those things and not the obvious answer of "Sons of Ether gone wild"? Scientology would be the poster child for etherite "common psychology is bullshit, we make our own psychology!"
                          Because I try to hold the Etherites with rather more regard than that.

But you are right, it's a possibility.

Comment

Working...
                          X