Creative uses for Matter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative uses for Matter

So everybody chime in, What are your favorite creative uses for the Matter Sphere?

- Pulling a Roy Mustang, and changing the contents of the air so a single spark causes spontaneous combustion
    - Jamming a knife into the gap in a door, while simultaneously turning the material in the lock into something like butter or styrofoam, so it breaks easily and coincidentally (the lock could have just been that poor, and the average person can't see the change in the tiny gap)
    - Make spikes or grasping hands erupt from the ground, walls, or ceiling
    - Turn water into a flammable liquid that still looks like water, like some sort of lighter fluid or high proof vodka
    - Turn a cheap, crappy drink into a higher quality, better-tasting drink
    - Turn the gunpowder in an opponent's weapon into inert sand (coincidental, since the bullets could just be from a dud batch, or the firing mechanism could have been acting up)
    - Use Matter 3 to force a sheet of paper to remain rigid, unbending, and resistant to damage, so when the edge cuts something, it's like being cut with a knife. Read Or Die, bitches!
    - While on the subject of R.O.D., causing many sheets of paper to stick together and behave like weapons, prehensile whips, or giant papercraft animated animals
    - Slice objects in half with Matter 3
    - Using Matter 3 to make clothes, weapons, and other objects resist mundane damage
    - Combine with Prime to create large amounts of ammunition or throwing knives (from the pockets, naturally, so it might be coincidental)
    - Turn the glass in lightbulbs into opaque glass, so it lets no light through, blanketing areas in darkness
    - Turning the ground beneath a foe's feet into viscous mud, then turning back when they are submerged, locking them in a solid prison
    - Using Matter 1 to sense the patterns of walls, but in such a way that the patterns appear transparent, allowing one to see through walls
    - Changing the color of paper, so it looks like your name was on the guest list the whole time
    - Turning a person's meds into sugar pills, or sugar pills (i.e. candy) into meds, or meds into different meds
    - Using Matter 4 to "find" (translation: create) a "hidden" compartment, that "just so happens" to have a useful object (like a gun)
    - By that token, using Matter 4 to "find" a hidden switch that opens a "hidden" doorway
    - And just for utility, Matter 1 to find traps

Comment

I always find it most helpful to keep in mind that Matter is all about changing the properties of inorganic materials (just like Life for organisms and Forces for energy). You can think of Matter like this can simplify it. Just take a substance and give it properties it doesn't normally have or transform it into a different substance. Anyway, here's some fun stuff:

-Change spray paint so crystals grow out of the paint. The crystals can then be shattered like glass for instant caltrops!

-Transmute the thread of your clothes into a light and durable metal, like Kevlar.

-Are you an artist? Congratulations, painting, cooking, and sculpture are a hell of a lot easier!

-Enchant metal to burn like flame. Like the metal dances, consumes fuel, and produces heat, but still looks like steel.

-Follow the Solificati and forge mythical metals like orichalcum, golden apples, philosopher's stone, adamant, etc.

-Crystals that can conduct electricity and contain encoded information like computer code. Check the crystals in Superman's Fortress of Solitude.

-A knife can be a deadly weapon or a rubber prop at the drop of a hat. Same with a gun, as long as you put the little orange cap on the barrel.

-A gas that slowly turns into a sticky substance upon contact with specific people or things. Pump it into a long hallway and intruders will slowly get all glued-up before they make it through

-A metal that's elastic and bouncy. Great for shock absorption!
      Last edited by OmegaZ; 11-13-2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shadryx View Post
        So everybody chime in, What are your favorite creative uses for the Matter Sphere?
        Creating precious materials to use as a mean of bribing someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
          - Using Matter 1 to sense the patterns of walls, but in such a way that the patterns appear transparent, allowing one to see through walls
          I don't think that one'd fly, on reading it.
          Yes, you can make it so the style in which you seee the matter patterns is some transparent shape. Heck, every mage senses those patterns differently, I bet.
          But. You would also see the normal wall inside the pattern simply from your normal visual senses.
          And if you, say, close your eyes to *just* see the transparent patterns..well. You see transparent matter patterns in a black void. Not much gained there, since all you see are the matter patterns around you..just..in a visually transparent style. Light doesn't suddenly fall through, as physics remain unchanged. Matter 1 does not let you skip on Correspondence (Or altering the physics of the matter to let light through, but that takes way higher levels anyways).
          Last edited by Ambrosia; 11-13-2017, 03:55 AM.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
          >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Ambrosia View Post

I don't think that one'd fly, on reading it.
            Yes, you can make it so the style in which you seee the matter patterns is some transparent shape. Heck, every mage senses those patterns differently, I bet.
            But. You would also see the normal wall inside the pattern simply from your normal visual senses.
            And if you, say, close your eyes to *just* see the transparent patterns..well. You see transparent matter patterns in a black void. Not much gained there, since all you see are the matter patterns around you..just..in a visually transparent style. Light doesn't suddenly fall through, as physics remain unchanged. Matter 1 does not let you skip on Correspondence (Or altering the physics of the matter to let light through, but that takes way higher levels anyways).
            You would think so, and I would probably agree...if the books (pre-M20) didn't support the opposite position.

Originally posted by Mage Revised p. 173
            Fragments of Dream - Dreamspeakers view all manner of fragments of the Earth Mother's dreams. By tapping such dreams, they can expand their perception of Matter. The mage extends her senses beyond physical reality into Pattern. She no longer sees matter in the same way: instead of a brick wall, for instance, she sees its Pattern in her mind's eye.

This Effect allows the mage to perceive things that would be unseen in physical reality. She could sense the contents of a room beyond a wall, or detect objects or structures that might otherwise be hidden, such as a false bottom of a suitcase.
            Curiously, the 1e core has a passage that is almost word for word the same as the one I quoted, except it adds a sentence explicitly stating that this Effect only applies to Matter objects that are on the other side of the wall. It's the Revised era - the edition that came later and after more thought - that makes the Effect more permissive by omitting that language. Unless the omission was merely a mistake - a not unlikely possibility, I fully admit - the designers may have decided in that edition that mages could totally just selectively decide that certain physical barriers were not barriers to their vision.

Though, obviously, this is not the strongest evidence. It's just why I added that suggestion to the list.

Comment

I can see the view of matter extending to some degree - a wall is fastened to the floors (or vice versa), connected by steel beams, etc.
              So, sensing the wall and extending that sense in a way that sees the building as a whole...could extend that sensation past the immediate wall, yes. I can see that working depending on internal structure. Nobody would question a mage with Matter 1 seeing the whole of a dollhouse, and I don't think scale matters - it's just a larger house.

I'm just wary about being able to see anything in the rooms that is not attached to the house - tables, chairs, furniture and objects - or, well, people, but those don't fall under Matter.

But, in a way, a Matter 1 mage might be able to get something important - a rough map of the house. An architectural layout, if you will, all without the use of Correspondence.

Inb4 Virtual Adept MiniMap Rote.

>> cWoD Dice Probability Chart | | >> cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator | | >> cWoD Alternative Armor System
              >> cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System | | >> My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels | | >> 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff

Comment

Using matter 1 to see beyond an object would still see via that object's capacity of "perceiving" them.
                For example, feel the tensions on the floor to calculate what's resting on it.

Comment

I played a street rat matter mage. He always carried a ring of keys on him. He would insert the key and turn it, using matter to open the lock and say it was a master key. He would also enhance drugs, speakers, clothing as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X