Question about Nephandi

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Nephandi

HOW SUBTIL are nephandi? . i meant, when it comes to fighting a nephandi what its expected. Would one of them pull a fucking machine gun on your arse, or its it expected for him to throw objects with his mind or grow tentacles? because i know nephandi are NOT paradox Proof

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

The Nephandi can be very subtle, but it depends on the individual. The blatant ones don't last long, but the subtle Nephandi can corrupt Sleepers, institutions, spirits, Tradition mages, Technocrats, Disparates, anyone.

If you're fighting a blatant Nephandi expect any kind of twisted, messed up magic. If you're fighting a subtle Nephandi you can make that an entire campaign where the PC's find hints of the Nephandic corruption, trace it back to its source, and eventually confront the Fallen One directly. They also like to keep the Ascension War going, as it distracts the Traditions and Technocracy from their plans while also being a form of corruption in and of itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
      HOW SUBTIL are nephandi?
      The Nephandi can be, and often are subtle to such an extent, that most True Mages don't realize at all that they are speaking to or interacting with a True Mage who is a Nephandus; the subtlety and secrecy is maintained even when True Mages (of the Traditions, for example) are interacting with the Nephandus (or two or more Nephandi) over a long period of time.
      Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-07-2017, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Indeed, but in the context of this question:

A Nephandus can be as subtle or blatant as she wants to avoid Paradox . There's no restriction other than her Paradigm, which it's whatever Paradigm she had before falling. That Paradigm more than her "faction" it's what determines which kind of effect she summons.

Hence, if you face the Nephandi in their lairs of evil where they summon the eldrich abominatons (probably a Sanctum) you may eat more tentacles than out in the street. Much like with any other mage.

Comment

It seems worth noting that it is a standard Nephandi tactic to use blatant "bad" mages (whether they've gone through the Cauls or not) to keep other mages busy and off their scent; if not ingratiate themselves.

However subtle or vulgar a Nephandus' magic might be, the smart ones keep it well hidden from other mages, and make sure someone blatant is around to keep their enemies busy.

Comment

personally i think a good part of the nephandi conscripts are high school dropout jocks who decided to enter this caul-thing to break some stuff

Comment

Nephandi are usually really, really subtle in their actions and they always attempt to turn every situation at their advantage without showing their hand.
              That said, if they come down to a fight and they can't manipulate it and persuade people to defend them, Nephandi fight like every other mage: coincidental effects are easier, safer and better, why should they pull paradox over themselves? Of course, if we're talking about the Umbra or reality zones maybe there are vulgar effects they can get by with.
              Last edited by Maris Streck; 12-09-2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

First, we need to define "SUBTIL [sic]". Either we mean subtle in the general sense of not wanting to attract attention, or subtle in the sense of Coincidental.

In the former case, Nephandi last longest when they attract as little attention as possible. These are the folks who prefer to work through intermediaries, with intermediaries for their intermediaries. A safe and secure Nephandus is one as many layers removed from their pawns as possible, so nothing can be traced to them. If they have to make a personal appearance - like as the hidden master of one of the infernal cults they established or co-opted - it will be in some magickal or mundane disguise, or even remotely through an illusion or possessed flunky.

For the record, because of the unique nature of Nephandi priorities - that is, Evil For Evil's Sake - they have a wide latitude for what constitutes a "Win" condition. So long as chaos, mistrust, death, and suffering are furthered, a Nephandus gives not one damn about how it gets there. Consider the Trope Xanatos Gambit, for the kinds of "Even if I lose, I Win" tactics a Nephandus can utilize because of this.

If a Nephandus is cornered or needs to get their hands dirty, they'll use whatever means can get the job done, while also not attracting attention to themselves. A gun is more likely to attract attention than a knife, but that same gun is much more subtle than opening a gate to the far realms and letting tentacled horrors reach through to strangle people. Needs must, and a machine gun is at least normal in the mortal criminal underworld (and, sadly, used more and more often by the unhinged, even in mundane settings).

Speaking of magick, that brings us to our next point. Put simply, Nephandi are no more immune to the effects of Paradox as any other Mage, save the Marauders. Some are more easily slotted into the Consensus than others, but the rules of Paradox still apply. As such, Nephandi will hew towards Coincidence wherever possible, unless they have a reason (or desire) to cut loose. Like any mage, a Nephandus may happen to really want to burn someone alive with their full magickal might, and will do so from time to time. If, that is, they think they can get away with it. Risk/Reward comes into play, as does the character's magickal specialty. Sometimes the feats an Awakened person (even a Fallen one) are expert in just don't play well with Reality. They have to make the choice over whether they'll employ those feats, or settle for something more Coincidental.

Comment

any ingame examples of their rotes or how subtle can they be, or how do they hide their resonance?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
                  ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
                  Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
                  Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Working...
                  X