Inspiration for Nephandi and Marauder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiration for Nephandi and Marauder

my players are asking for good examples of nephandi and marauders on videogames, tv, movies , books etc... any suggestions?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Not from fiction, but I think GG Allin was To Mega Therion (The Great Beast) and the perfect example of the nihilistic extremes of the 20th century. Also, Sid Vicious. If you research their biographies you'll have lots of material.

From the movies, I'd say Anton Chigurh (No Country for Old Men). Also, Colonel Walter E. Kurtz (Apocalypse Now).

Comment

The crazy wizard that starts his own death cult in Lord of Illusions is a good example of a nephandus mage.

Comment

Nephandi

The villain in 13 Assassins, deliciously Nephandus.

Anakin Skywalker in Episodes 1,2 & 3. Seriously take what you know of the character from the end of ROTS and go back and watch the Anakin scenes again, pay careful heed to what he says and you realise from day 1 it's actually all about his power, his order, his justice HIS EMPIRE.

Mrs Mouse from Don Bluth's animated film of Thumbalina. Terrifying stuff when you look at it, especially her signature scene.

King Haggard in the Last Unicorn

Omadon in Flight of Dragons for a very simplistic, unsubtle yet still beautifully done Nephandi.

Melko and Sauron in the Silmarillion also Faenor in the same. Also Saruman in many respects in Lord of the Rings.

Comment

Marauders

Batman and the Joker

Achilles, both the classical literary work and the way the portray him in Troy.

Jack the ripper as portrayed in a lot of literature

Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty

Comment

The Caveman's Valentine (2001)
            The Fisher King (1991)
            Fight Club (1999)
            Shutter Island (2010)
            Misery (1990)
            Secret WIndow (2004)
            Split (2016)
            American Psycho (2000)
            No Country for Old Men (2007)
            Hard Candy (2005)
            Red Dragon (2002)
            Apocalypse Now (1979)
            Girl, Interrupted (1999)
            The Collector (2009)
            Saw (2004)
            Event Horizon (1997)
            Hellraiser (1987)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

any examples in videogames for marauders or nephandi?

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).

Comment

Corypheus from Dragon Age: Inquisition
                Shao Khan and Shang Tsung (among others) from Mortal Kombat

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

The Man in Black from the Dark Tower (both the books and the movie) is a Euthanatos-turned-Nephandus. The book version could also draw upon other Traditions instead, though, including Hollow One; the film version, though, is clearly a Euthanatos (though one with Force magic as well)

One could make the argument that Balder from Bayonetta is a Chorister-turned-Nephandus as well, and Loptr was also a Nephandus as well (possibly without a tradition at all).

Goku Black and Zamasu from Dragon Ball Super are arguably Nephandi as well. Goku Black was a Dual Tradition Akashic and Euthanatos. Zamasu could be seen as a mix of Euthanatos, Akashic, Wu Lung, or Chorister as well, depending on how you view the Celestial structure (admittedly, they also are better examples of Exalted characters, but the viewpoints are the same, and Mage is probably the closest WoD game to reflecting their abilities). As a point of order, Beerus is clearly NOT a Nephandus - though a God of Destruction, he is not in it to destroy all reality for the HFIL of it, but rather as a sacred duty; he's bad at it, and jokes to the contrary, but he is a pure Euthanatos.

Marauders are trickier. However, Scarlet Witch in House of M is an example of a more directed Marauder, I think - the entire world is inside her creation of influence when she snaps. Legion also may be an example of one (especially in the Age of X storyline).

A rare heroic example could be the heroes from "Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger." Each of them is part of a shared delusion that gives them the power to turn into Sentai/rangers, but at the price of increasing disconnect to the world.

Comment

Chara from Undertale
                    They want the complete destruction of the world, and you don’t meet them until alread after their plans are irreversibly complete. By which point they have pretty much won since either the game is unplayable, or they take ownership of your soul to get what they want after you try to undo it.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

If we're talking Marauders, Loma Shade from the comic series Shade The Changing Girl is a solid contender. A bird alien who stole the Madness Coat from the earlier Shade The Changing Man, she used its powers of Madness to astral project into the body of a comatose Earth girl. She then proceeds to try to live on this blue marble, while dealing with the culture shock (both between Loma's alien culture AND her skewed understanding of Earth culture culled from out-of-date broadcasts), the fallout of her host body's former actions, and her generally tenuous grasp of Reality. The Madness Coat altering her perceptions of the world around her...or else literally shifting the world to match her thoughts and feelings.

It's a heady comic, is what I'm saying. Meaning it's perfect inspiration for Mage.

As you can probably tell, Loma Shade could easily be ported over to a Mage game with very little modification. Make it so her being an alien is one of her delusions, and the Madness Coat being some kind of Instrument/Wonder, and you're golden.

Comment

most of my players play League of Legends. i do not.

any good examples of marauders/nephandi characters within the lore?

Comment

ALso, was tlaking to some players...would Voldemort be a nephandi? or just "A Guy" with arete

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
                            most of my players play League of Legends. i do not.

any good examples of marauders/nephandi characters within the lore?
                            A couple.

There's Malzahar, which is basically the herald of the eldritch abominations of the setting and trying to open a door to our world and let them all in. Stereotypical Nephandi script. Also Karthus, a mage who sacrificed himself in order to return as undead and promotes Oblivion and death for everyone. Lissandra, a sorceress empowered by frozen entities of ice and death and wants to conquer the world for them might also work.

As for Marauders, I'd say Viktor, which is a guy trying to turn everyone (in a fantasy setting) into machines in order to purge them from the weakness of flesh.

Plenty of other mages and assorted creatures, but I'd say the easier ones to translate as Marauders/Nephandi are these ones.

League has only recently invested tons of resources to the development of its lore, which is really great as you ask me (they're doing an awesome job), but this also means plenty of stuff in there is still on the thin side of things when it comes to depth. Which served the purpose of the game but it's not gonna give you lots to work with

Cinder's Comprehensive Collection of Creations - Homebrew Hub

I write about Beast: The Primordial a lot

This is what I'm working on

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
                              ALso, was tlaking to some players...would Voldemort be a nephandi? or just "A Guy" with arete
                              I'd say he's just an evil wizard. He's ambitious, power hungry, racist against Muggles (read: Sleepers), and has a mortal fear of death. Granted, he's certainly willing to affect the guise of a Dark Lord.

Comment

Working...
                              X