Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Voldemort is indeed just an evil Mage with a stack of Jhor

Comment

I don't know, he horribly maims his own soul with forbidden magic in the pursuit of power and eternal life. That's pretty distinctively a Nephandic trope, particularly for a setting where there don't appear to be evil otherdimensional entities to which one might sell one's soul.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt the Bruins fan View Post
        I don't know, he horribly maims his own soul with forbidden magic in the pursuit of power and eternal life. That's pretty distinctively a Nephandic trope, particularly for a setting where there don't appear to be evil otherdimensional entities to which one might sell one's soul.
        I'd say that most Nephandi don't really care for eternal life, nor for command and control. All they seek is the ultimate end of all things. Either to appease their dark one masters, out of genuine hatred of the world, or for the sheer pleasure of watching the world burn slowly. They have nothing to lose, because even their death is in some small way a victory. Their passage through the cauls ensures their dark work will continue in another life.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Aye, Voldemort cannot conceive of his own mortality plus he wants to create a society of wizardry that will endure under his rule for the eternal life he has forged for himself. His whole Mudblood fascism is built around his self hatred for his own mixed blood heritage and a mistaken belief that Purebloods are totally superior in all magical ways to mudbloods. He wants a more powerful magical society that he can rule forever and bind themselves to him. While indeed evil in intent it is not nephandic.

Comment

Final Fantasy has a couple of villains that are good inspiration for Nephandi, Sephiroth has the corrupted from birth elements of a Widderslainte and the way he claims to serve Jenova but actually controls her is also very nephandic.

That said, for my money the most Nephandic Final Fantasy character is Kefka Palazzo. Not only does he revel in destruction for its own sake, he only seems to be able to enjoy it if people actually die. Moreover as he grows in power he becomes obsessed that proving that life and dreams are meaningless. It is implied that the only reason he doesn't outright annihilate your party (and the world for that matter) is that it isn't enough for everyone to die, they have to die in despair. As a capstone, one of his stated goals is destroying the very bonds of existence.

Mage: The Ice-ension: An Epic Game of Reality on the Rink

Comment

I think the Witches from Puella Magi Madoka Magica are a great, and horrific, example of a Marauder and their reality bubbles.

Comment

Originally posted by Weirdboyz View Post
                I think the Witches from Puella Magi Madoka Magica are a great, and horrific, example of a Marauder and their reality bubbles.
                I concur wholly. The way I see it, a magical girl in Madoka Magica is a mage (complete with Phylactery) that was Awakened - and woefully misinformed - by spirits. This misinformation includes that using magick causes "curses and despair" or whatever to collect in their soul gems, requiring frequent purges (in a manner that suits the interests of their spirit patrons). This primes the magical girls to trend towards Quiet when they incur Paradox backlashes, disproportionately to other varieties. Ultimately resulting in a magical girl tipping into full blown Marauderdom if their Quiet is allowed to grow too great. If they ever learned that their spirit patrons were actively lying to them (because OF COURSE a liar would claim to have never lied; duh), they might start having different kinds of Paradox manifestations. Until then, though, they'll most likely turn to despair-induced madness before too long, especially since they don't know NOT to use Vulgar magick.

At least, that's how I'd run Madoka Magica within the context of MtAs.

Comment

I been thinking. my players might have to enter a Laberyth to save one of the players from being turned into a barrabi. they still can't understand the Scope of how dangerous a laberyth is..any recommendations on depictions of a Laberyth ?

Also, our Son of Aether wants to explore the Laberyth and take elements for his own personal paradigm (to evolve humanity far beyond what its concieable)

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
                  ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
                  Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
                  Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Also, would Sutter Cane (in the mouth of madness) be a nephandi? im analyzing John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy to find more marauder/nephandi homages

Forum's Official's Joker and Trickster. Pardon my bad english, aint my first language (I Speak Spanish).
                    ST: DtF, HtR, WtO, MtA
                    Signature Chars: Crowley (hakalu), Joe The Nuwisha (WtA)
                    Changelings: be afraid of the Technocracian High Five of Doom

Comment

Originally posted by Crowley View Post
                      Also, would Sutter Cane (in the mouth of madness) be a nephandi? im analyzing John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy to find more marauder/nephandi homages
                      Yes, very much so (at least in terms of concept and motivation).

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                      Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I been thinking. my players might have to enter a Laberyth to save one of the players from being turned into a barrabi. they still can't understand the Scope of how dangerous a laberyth is..any recommendations on depictions of a Laberyth ?

Also, our Son of Aether wants to explore the Laberyth and take elements for his own personal paradigm (to evolve humanity far beyond what its concieable)
                        Read the revised book of madness for details on the labyrinths of the nephandi.

One important thing you should note is that the process of turning into a barrabus MUST be voluntary. No nephandi can force one to turn, the final decision is the mage themselves. to enter the cauls unwillingly leads only to death.

Most labyrinths lie in a pocket dimension of the umbra and thus have their own rules, perhaps magic only works if it’s done with intent to harm someone. Perhaps all magic requires a sacrifice of some sort, or perhaps you must scream the name of demons, or maybe all magic is easier but more severe, harder to control for the uninitiated.

The labyrinth itself is dark and difficult to navigate. They are designed to make it hard for intruders to get anywhere, while the denizens have three reign to go as they please. There are traps, guardians, dead ends, and monsters around every turn, and depending on who is in charge, may have more than one than the other.
                        A nephandus Mind mage may for example fill their labyrinth with illusions, false doors, floors that cover pits of spikes, or even more insidious things like lost loved ones, or the way home. While a Life nephandus might make all who enter feel an unquenchable hunger, which may cause intruders to become cannibalistic. And infernalist could model their labyrinth on the circles of hell with horrible sin spawn to guard each layer, while a Malfean May design their labyrinth to become more and more corrupt, disgusting, and generally unbearable the deeper you go.
                        The threat of being ambushed by a nephandus while in their home should be ever present, and if they are particularly good at searching, they might stumble into the barracks, or altars, meeting rooms, etc. Rooms designed to be used rather than to confuse.

Not all labyrinths are complicated maze like monstrosities, some can be hidden in plain site. Silent Hill would be a really good example of a labyrinth.
                        Last edited by Saikou; 01-13-2018, 05:09 AM.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
                          Aliens (1986)
                          Big Trouble in Little China (1986)
                          House (1986)
                          The People Under the Stairs (1991)
                          Event Horizon (1997)
                          House on Haunted Hill (1999)
                          Rose Red (2002)
                          House of 1000 Corpses (2003)
                          Hellboy (2004)
                          The Cabin in the Woods (2012)
                          Crimson Peak (2015)

Also, William Hope Hodgson's The House on the Borderlands (DC/Vertigo comics did a pretty impressive graphic adaption if it in 2000 if you can find it)

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post
                            Most labyrinths lie in a pocket dimension of the umbra and thus have their own rules, perhaps magic only works if it’s done with intent to harm someone. Perhaps all magic requires a sacrifice of some sort, or perhaps you must scream the name of demons, or maybe all magic is easier but more severe, harder to control for the uninitiated.
                            I wouldn't make it so NO magick works if it doesn't conform to a Fallen's vision. I would DEFINITELY make it a Realm where only Nephandic magick is Coincidental. That's entirely reasonable, just as it's entirely reasonable for a Hermetic Realm to see Hermetic magick Coincidental and all others as Vulgar.

Make it so the players understand that a Labyrinth is the domain of the Fallen, where Nephandi have a home-field advantage. If the PCs can't or won't debase themselves in some way, they'll suffer for their purity, in that place of absolute corruption. The 'Dox backlashes should reflect the vile darkness of the Labyrinth, too. Hands that erupt from walls to claw and grasp. Oppressive, choking darkness. Weeping blood from every orifice. Even making like Silent Hill (as Saikou said), and strike the PCs with a Quiet that makes other people "look like monsters" to them.

Meanwhile, their foes don't need to worry a bit about Paradox, and can really cut loose with the monstrous transformations, withering hexes, and blasphemous summonings.

Comment

Other recommendations for Labyrinth ideas: the portion of What Dreams May Come that's set in Hell, Beyond Bedlam/Nightscare for a slow burn, H. P. Lovecraft's From Beyond.

Comment

I think the Major from hellsing ultimate is a good reference for a nephandus' personality. Look up his ten minute speech on how much he loves war. Trigger Warning: he's a former nazi that long since passed the nazis in both insanity and evil.

I also think Azuma Genkaku from Deadman wonderland would make a good akashayana barrabus. He was originally buddhist, and got sick of the world. He even once said something to the effect of "By brutally murdering these people, I've brought them the ultimate peace and harmony." He also seems to view his sadistic brand of nihilism as a superior form of buddhism.(he calls himself an "ultra buddhist" and an "uber monk")
                                Last edited by Dragonchild; 01-14-2018, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X