Magical Girls and Mage: the Ascension?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weirdboyz
    started a topic Magical Girls and Mage: the Ascension?

Magical Girls and Mage: the Ascension?

Pretty nerdy question, but I wanted to have a character that possessed most of the conventions and trappings of the Japanese Magical Girl genre, which Tradition, Convention or Disparate do y'all think would best fit.

For those not unfamiliar with the genre, typical Magical Girl themes and tropes are;
    - Main character is almost always a young girl
    - Only being able to do magic after going into colorful transformation sequence that gives the main character a sweet outfit
    - Having knowledgeable familiar/guide that usually takes the form of a cute animal or pushie
    - Main character's powers come from love, hope, kindness, friendship, etc.
    - Instruments usually take the form of staffs, wands, or medieval weapons
    - Often fighting creatures made out of despair and sadness
    - Magical abilities are pretty diverse but I think use of Forces and Prime spheres are almost universal in the genre
    - Calling out attacks in an elaborate and dramatic fashion is also common

• Alucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Saikou View Post

This is Mage, internal logic is all you need to make sense.
    Well yeah, but I'm just saying that it's a lot more hard work to make up a custom magical girl and her unique paradigm. Shinto shrine maidens offer the basic magical girl experience with a premade template.

Leave a comment:

• Saikou
    replied
    Originally posted by Alucard View Post
    Wouldn't a shrine maiden in the vein of Kikyo from Inuyasha (rather than her useless reincarnation Kagome) make more sense? Someone like that could easily be done as an Akashic or Dreamspeaker.
    This is Mage, internal logic is all you need to make sense.

Leave a comment:

• Alucard
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
    Sailor Mars was a shrine maiden, after all.

Also, this idea lets one play a version of Reimu Hakurei, from the Touhou games. So that's neat.
    Wouldn't a shrine maiden in the vein of Kikyo from Inuyasha (rather than her useless reincarnation Kagome) make more sense? Someone like that could easily be done as an Akashic or Dreamspeaker.

Leave a comment:

• IAmTheSweeper
    replied
    just want to throw in my two obloi-

Gem is technically a magical girl in this context. id imagine a Virtual adept Soundwave master

on the subject of concert and crowds- and this is more an ecstatic thing- but there is a technique to turn a crowd of people into a temporary node- you might consider a large crowd of like minded fans cheering for their passion to form natural temporary nodes. i believe Leanne milner pulls off this stunt in a concert in the M20 fluff.

a Demon the Fallen character pretending to be a magical girl to reap faith is terrifying

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Bluecho View Post
    I don't know. While having the animal companion be the Avatar would certainly work, there's also a strong argument to be made for a Familiar with the Paradox Nullification charm. Could be very useful, for a mage who uses fanciful, Vulgar magick on the reg.
    I think if you were to use, say, Sailor Moon, as an example, then her Avatar would be "The Princess of the Moon" that she's supposed to be a reincarnation of, while her cat is both Familiar and Mentor. At least that's how I'd do it.

On the other hand, if you wanted to go with a more western themed take like She-Ra, then the sword is a powerful Talisman, the horse is a Familiar, the castle is a Chantry and Sanctum and Light Hope is a mentor.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 01-20-2018, 01:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• NicoTheDuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Dragonchild View Post
    Oh. Well I didn't realize orphans often died. Guess no one can play an orphan because they often die. We can't have player characters often dying, or worse, defying the norm. Player characters must never do either of those things.

Have you ever met anyone who considers themselves an otaku? Some people have oddly strong and passionate beliefs regarding anime.

For example, I know someone who genuinely believes that there are infinite universes and therefore anything that happens in fiction must play out in some other universe. If someone like this awakened, and there were no traditions or technocrats around to try to steer them toward their beliefs, I'm pretty sure they'd draw on anime tropes to make sense of what's going on.

Or do you think this person would just automatically awaken as a marauder in this scenario?
    Of course not. Multiverse is far from an isolated concept. Many scientists built theories around it, like Hugh Everett for example. It's actually part of the established scientific paradigm. Not usual, but not that original. Your Mage, who btw will probably be approached by the SoE, could be a self-taught man and remain Orphan or he could learn from other Mages as well. I see no problem there.

Originally posted by Dragonchild View Post
    So, just a hypothetical character concept here: our true magical girl otaku mage, has watched magical girl anime since she was 5. Anytime she wasn't at school or doing homework, she'd watch anime.

She made friends with other girls who watched it, though no one else ever seemed as passionate about it. Still she believed in the power of friendship, and she one day decided to see if she could make something magical if she worked with her friends on it. So with a jewelry making kit her and her friends made a butterfly amulet as a symbol.

Her friends' belief in it wasn't as strong as her own of course. They saw it as a symbol where she saw it as a tangible power source. That night, a blue stuffed hippopotamus appeared to her and told her she had succeeded in awakening the power of her bonds with others.

She would go on to craft more things with her friends, and every time she did it would become a new magical tool.

Oh just a note, because it was mentioned before but never got corrected. not every magical girl does a transformation sequence, for instance in the case of cardcaptor sakura, her best friend made her costumes.
    Thank you very much, that's the first convincing background and concept I read in this thread from where I stand. I read a lot about a probable Belief/Practice/Instruments for this kind of character. All were valid, but in my opinion, the concepts presented so far were not that justified from a background point of view. Saying that the character could believe in love and friendship is not enough to justify the concept. I had trouble imagining reasons and you solved that problem. Your suggestion actually appeals to me. I'm still convinced she will blow up in a gigantic paradox backlash in a few hours, though.

That said, I would not accept easily that kind of things in my games. I tend to play the WoD as what it was (in my opinion) designed to be, a world about personal horror stories. Not in a zombie way of course. Concerning Mage, rather in philosophical and self learning or "introspectional" and challenging kind of way (sorry for the neologism there ^^)
    Last edited by NicoTheDuck; 01-17-2018, 05:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Having a Familiar with Paradox Nullification would definitely be useful; but the Manifest Avatar approach better matches the role the animal companion plays in Magical Girl anime: it helps her Awaken and advises her on matters pertaining to her magic. Arguably, it's also involved in her Seekings.

Leave a comment:

• Bluecho
    replied
    I don't know. While having the animal companion be the Avatar would certainly work, there's also a strong argument to be made for a Familiar with the Paradox Nullification charm. Could be very useful, for a mage who uses fanciful, Vulgar magick on the reg.

Leave a comment:

• Dataweaver
    replied
    Heh. Right; the animal companion is obviously the magical girl's Avatar. Strong argument for Manifest Avatar, possibly paired with one of the companion Backgrounds such as Ally or Mentor (to give it a form that others can interact with).

Leave a comment:

• Dragonchild
    replied
    Originally posted by NicoTheDuck View Post

Ah OK, I did not understand.

Orphans often die you know? Cause they do not know what they're doing. Anyway, that's not because they are not taught and guided towards a Tradition that their belief is not based on actual existing beliefs. Being an Orphan do not mean whatever the f*** I want cause I found no place in any group. It is Still based on local culture, dominant paradigm or personal understanding of such paradigm. Orphans are still people raised in a specific culture.
    Oh. Well I didn't realize orphans often died. Guess no one can play an orphan because they often die. We can't have player characters often dying, or worse, defying the norm. Player characters must never do either of those things.

Have you ever met anyone who considers themselves an otaku? Some people have oddly strong and passionate beliefs regarding anime.

For example, I know someone who genuinely believes that there are infinite universes and therefore anything that happens in fiction must play out in some other universe. If someone like this awakened, and there were no traditions or technocrats around to try to steer them toward their beliefs, I'm pretty sure they'd draw on anime tropes to make sense of what's going on.

Or do you think this person would just automatically awaken as a marauder in this scenario?

So, just a hypothetical character concept here: our true magical girl otaku mage, has watched magical girl anime since she was 5. Anytime she wasn't at school or doing homework, she'd watch anime.

She made friends with other girls who watched it, though no one else ever seemed as passionate about it. Still she believed in the power of friendship, and she one day decided to see if she could make something magical if she worked with her friends on it. So with a jewelry making kit her and her friends made a butterfly amulet as a symbol.

Her friends' belief in it wasn't as strong as her own of course. They saw it as a symbol where she saw it as a tangible power source. That night, a blue stuffed hippopotamus appeared to her and told her she had succeeded in awakening the power of her bonds with others.

She would go on to craft more things with her friends, and every time she did it would become a new magical tool.

Oh just a note, because it was mentioned before but never got corrected. not every magical girl does a transformation sequence, for instance in the case of cardcaptor sakura, her best friend made her costumes.
    Last edited by Dragonchild; 01-16-2018, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    I think that's actually the 1st ed one.

At some point, I'm going to have to try to compile a list of art from the various Mage books that exemplify the sort of tone and mood I'm usually going for. (I usually favor a more "grounded and down to earth" style than the above, sort of in the same tone as early Hellblazer, various Clive Barker and Tim Powers, and Jim Butcher's Dresdon Files, among other things.)

I also wish I could find the original ad copy preview of Mage just before 1st ed came out, because it used that as a fold out, and under it was a brief blurb for each Tradition, but the thing is that each one not only had their specialty Sphere from the final game, but also listed secondary ones and IIRC, one they had problems with.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 01-16-2018, 04:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Aleph
    replied
    Originally posted by Weirdboyz View Post
    I also just want to state I never really bought that Mage was an especially grimdark game. It kind of reminds me of WH40K in the way that while both franchises do have dark themes they also tend to be way too ridiculous and fantastical to truly take them seriously. The fact that street samurais in trenchcoats and streampunk mad scientists are viable concepts alone debunks the alleged grimdarkness in my opinion. That said, that's totally not an insult in my definition. The "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" attitude of Mage is why I love it. Everything can be it, including magical girls.
    2nd edition wants to agree with that...

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Fat Larry View Post

Exactly.

As a fan of superheroes, one of things that attracted me to Mage was the fact that I COULD play superheroes in the World of Darkness. Sure, it works with Vampire(and Werewolf, too), but I feel it works best under the Mage umbrella.
    Well, this was a game that had "Superhero" as one of the premade character templates in the (admittedly un-good) 1st ed Akashic Brotherhood book.

Also, the Sons of Ether have an entire faction devoted to the idea, or at least it's more pulp oriented variation.

(Honestly, if I could go back in time and write World of Darkness: Outcasts, one of the Caitiff templates would've been "Anti-Hero", the sort of slightly introverted and dorkish young male who, upon becoming one of the Damned, decides he's going to become the grimdark avenger of the night.)

Leave a comment:

• NicoTheDuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Weirdboyz View Post
    I also just want to state I never really bought that Mage was an especially grimdark game. It kind of reminds me of WH40K in the way that while both franchises do have dark themes they also tend to be way too ridiculous and fantastical to truly take them seriously. The fact that street samurais in trenchcoats and streampunk mad scientists are viable concepts alone debunks the alleged grimdarkness in my opinion. That said, that's totally not an insult in my definition. The "everything-and-the-kitchen-sink" attitude of Mage is why I love it. Everything can be it, including magical girls.
    O.O

"I won't kill you, but I don't have to save you." (Batman begins, 2005)

*Walking out of the room majestically with a movement of the cape without looking back*
    Last edited by NicoTheDuck; 01-16-2018, 07:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X