Victorian Mage: speculation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victorian Mage: speculation

OK: what do we know about what's going to be in the upcoming Victorian Age: Mage? What do we hope will be in there?

We know that the Victorian Age is when the remnants of the Order of Reason reforged themselves as the Technocracy; so we're going to be seeing the Technocracy 1.0. The Union will include the Electrodyne Engineers and the Difference Engineers, the predecessors of the modern Etherites and VAs respectively; and the timeframe covered by this age ends before (or perhaps as?) the Electrodyne Engineers jump ship and the Union undergoes its first reorganization.

This is also the era where the Hollow Ones got their start, though they weren't called the Hollow Ones (or even widely recognized as a group) at the time. The Batini were still among the Traditions, but otherwise the Traditions were more or less the same as they were nearly a century later.

I know that a previous plan for VA:M was going to tinker around with the magic system, giving each Tradition a Minor Sphere of its own; but I will be shocked if something like this makes it into this newest version. More likely, we'll see discussions about how Focus differs between the Victorian and contemporary ages, with a mention of what Paradigms were prevalent in the Victorian Age, how Practices differed, and what Instruments were available. Also a bit of a discussion about where the line between Vulgar and Coincidental lies, as mundane technology was still nowhere near as capable as it is today.

Thoughts?

My hope is that this book takes the giant toolkit of M20 and selects only what is needed for someone to run a game out of a relatively small book.

Regarding the setting, it's a great time for Ascension. Colonialism is in full swing world-wide and it'll be interesting to see what stances the council of nine takes regarding imperialism.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
    Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
    Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

I'd like them to reexamine Secret Societies, like they did with Victorian Age Vampire, but from the perspective of mages. Finally explain - or give possible explanations for - the Golden Dawn's place in the World of Darkness, when there's already a centuries-old Hermetic conspiracy. VAV had nothing to say about the Order of Hermes, since it was a Vampire book. So more Mage-centric material would be nice.

Comment

I bet you anything London’s going to be the focal point for all things Technocratic

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

It's really important to me that we see the full degree that by rising in this era the Union is built on a foundation of eugenics and imperialism.

Meanwhile, the increased factionalization of the Traditions into mystic societies without strong cohesive identity might be strongly attributed to conflict over imperialism between the European Trads and the rest - especially if the Society of the Black Willow and the Acharne control the Euthanatos and Ecstatic seats respectively - to the outrage of the Chakravanti and Sahajiya, who of course are invested in and badly scarred by the "Mutiny" of 1857.

Check out my expansion to the Realm of Brass and Shadow

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            OK: what do we know about what's going to be in the upcoming Victorian Age: Mage? What do we hope will be in there?
            I hope they will not focus on London and the United Kingdom except when it is pertinent and feels like the correct approach.
            The existence of a mundane human nation which has a high level of power and influence during this period is not at all relevant in regards to the lives and matters of the vast majority of True Mages and of other Nightfolk; and has small to none relevancy in regards to vast majority of actions of individual Mages and Mage factions and groups.

For example I'd like to read about how early Technocracy Amalgams acted and worked all over Europe - including Eastern Europe and Scandinavia - and the South America and the North America.
            Were there any meaningful and interesting differences depending on where they were located; and how much did the location impact the transitions and changes that happened to Fellowships / Amalgams as the Technocratic Union was established and developed as an organization?
            Last edited by Muad'Dib; 01-25-2018, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
              I hope they will not focus on London and the United Kingdom except when it is pertinent and feels like the correct approach.
              The existence of a mundane human nation which has a high level of power and influence during this period is not at all relevant in regards to the lives and matters of the vast majority of True Mages and of other Nightfolk;
              Aaaactually. The transformation of the Order Of Reason into the Technocracy in Queen Victoria's age was, well, built on the back and bastion that was the globe-spanning British Commonwealth. With support of Queen Victoria herself.
              So yeah, we'll definitely get a good focus on London and Britain, and all its arms around the world at that time.
              Not that I'd not want the book to cover as much ground space as possible all over the map, but purely from a Mage-history standpoint, Britain and London had a HUGE effect on the life of True Mages at the time. One that lasts to this very day. The Technocratic Union itself.
              Last edited by Ambrosia; 01-25-2018, 04:03 PM.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
              cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Interesting' Strength Attribute Stuff
              EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF! ||| How Technocrats don't think they are Mages

Comment

It would seem a hugely missed opportunity not to explore what’s going on in the Imperial colonies as a central focus. India in particular has a rich setting for the era and major conflicts that tie in well with the Ascension War.

Were it up to me, i’d put focus on the British Empire as a whole, rather than just London or GB, but treat events and settings outside the Empire as more marginal - but if the book did well enough, do supplements on things like Japanese Civil War and Meiji Restoration as a setting, or the American West (with required Werewolf/Umbra Storm crossover info).

Comment

It's the Victorian Age. Obviously they're going to center a lot of it on London and the British Empire.

It also allows for killer crossover games since Victorian Age Vampire had a similar focus.

Comment

I just noticed it’s now appeared at the first draft phase on the Monday meeting notes.

It’s happening!

Come on: Eugenicist Social Darwinist portrayal of the birth of the Union!

Comment

Originally posted by glamourweaver View Post
                      I just noticed it’s now appeared at the first draft phase on the Monday meeting notes.

It’s happening!

Come on: Eugenicist Social Darwinist portrayal of the birth of the Union!
                      Ehm. Hate to burst your bubble, but it's been at First Drafts for awhile now.

Comment

Originally posted by tasti man LH View Post

Ehm. Hate to burst your bubble, but it's been at First Drafts for awhile now.
                        Ah, well I hadn’t noticed so still pleasant news for me.

Comment

Are the Lodges from the old outline going to factor in, do you think? I adored everything in that draft.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

I just hope the wrongness of colonialism is contained a side bar and not 70% of the book

Are you on the square?
                            Are you on the level?

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight View Post
                              I just hope the wrongness of colonialism is contained a side bar and not 70% of the book
                              I mean, it’s a historical era defined by it. Not sure what you want here when like, India, China, Egypt, and many others’ situations in this time period exist.

Remi. she/her. game designer.

Comment

Working...
                              X