Combine Trinity with WoD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combine Trinity with WoD

So how would this go down? Maybe instead of Aberrants trashing earth, something went wrong in the Ascension War or the Antediluvians rose up or the Apocalypse was narrowly fended off, etc. So how would Mage continue in this proposed hybrid setting?

Mystic mages would take the place of Aberrants. They'd start out as admired and heroic like the Novas did, then gradually their hubris would make them want to rule over or compete with Sleepers. Marauders and Nephandi would become more prominent, and the Traditions more power-driven. The Technocracy would take on a shadowy role like Project Proteus. Eventually Sleepers would drive the mad mages to the Deep Umbra through some combination of brute force, and ideological and epistemic unity that strengthens consensus reality.

Psions could be essentially unchanged. Maybe there'd also be a few government-sanctioned linear mages thrown in as a "safe" alternative to the madness of unrestrained magic. Linear magic is to true magic what sub-quantum powers are to quantum powers.
    Last edited by Faradn; 02-06-2018, 02:58 AM.

Comment

Adding to what Faradn said, perhaps all the supernatural entities - vampires, garou (if any survived the final battle with the Wyrm), changelings, and so on - were exiled with the mystick mages, and they return to threaten humanity. Only the Technocracy remained behind to rebuild earth, and the Timetable has advanced far enough that psionic power has been added to the consensus. Rather than the Doyen psi-aliens, the benefactors who created the Prometheus Tanks and empowered the first Proxies are the surviving members of Control returning from the Interstellar Deeps.
      Last edited by Octavo; 02-06-2018, 11:56 AM.

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
      Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
      Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Perhaps it's a new world of gods and monsters? Mages differ from Novas in that they choose to become what they are. Still magic and space are two great tastes that go great together.

Comment

On October 13, 2000, Steve Jackson Games' Pyramid Magazine published a Mage/Aberrant crossover called “To Tear the Scales from Their Eyes”. The article is no longer available on the Internet (except for an incomplete excerpt), but the premise was that the Nova Age was triggered by a plot by the Traditions to upend the Ascension War in a spectacular fashion.

Personally, I like the idea; but I prefer to push the date of the incident back to the 1920s. According to canonical Mage history, there was an incident in the early part of the 20th century where an Etherite attempted to win the Ascension War single-handed through a massive public show of Ether Science. In this alternate history, this incident is replaced by the Hammersmith Event, a more successful attempt to cause a world-wide paradigm shift. The primary effect of this shift was to install a powerful Mythic Thread into the Consensus, a thread that empowered the newly emergent Inspired.

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
            On October 13, 2000, Steve Jackson Games' Pyramid Magazine published a Mage/Aberrant crossover called “To Tear the Scales from Their Eyes”.
            First time I'm hearing about this and it saddens me it's no longer available. Sounds kickass.

PENTEX SUCKS.

I'm a gamer. I'm conservative. We exist.

Comment

I had a subscription to Pyramid at the time and I don't remember the article. Maybe it was in another magazine.

Comment

Nope; it was in Pyramid. Specifically, Volume 2 (the first iteration of its digital format) in the October 13, 2000 release. The page I linked to in my earlier post is proof of its former existence.

Comment

I thought I was able to find the full thing, but this is as close as I got: https://web.archive.org/web/20010627...000/10.13.html

Mage: the Ascension - Redesigned Prime Sphere; Streamlined Wonder Creation
                  Mage: the Awakening 2E - Hogwarts: the Wizarding World Chronicle
                  Mummy: the Curse - Lightweight 2E Conversion; Disciples of Duat

Comment

Working...
                  X