Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey! You Got Objectivity In My Postmodernism!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Call me crazy, but I don't think Ascension should require shedding your paradigm either. I think it should be about reaching perfection within your paradigm.

Shameless Technocratic shill.

Comment

Originally posted by The Nilbog View Post
      Call me crazy, but I don't think Ascension should require shedding your paradigm either. I think it should be about reaching perfection within your paradigm.
      However you want to dress it up, it requires letting go. Paradigm is a lense by which the mage is able to understand the world around them how the May find their way to manipulate it.

Whether it’s the inner peace of the Akashics, the perfect balance of the Euthanatos, or that state sense of that sense of returning to The One, if you can let go of the ties that bind you, truly let go, you may assend.

It has never reached this point during any game I’ve ever been involved with, but if any player of mine convinces me their character is ready to ascend, as story teller all I would do next is provide them a match, and no further explanation.
      Last edited by Saikou; 03-10-2018, 06:45 PM.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

Originally posted by The Nilbog View Post
        You're not crazy, it's just not the point the setting is driving at. You attain Ascension in part by accepting that other people have valid ways of viewing the world, or at least moving past the point that you feel the need to make others bend to your way of understanding.

To be clear, discarding foci isn't exactly the same thing as discarding your paradigm. As mentioned, archmaster can discard foci, but they're still trapped by their paradigms.

Comment

I think The Nilbog's point is that as of M20, paradigm (or, as it's now called, Focus) isn't a trap; it's a tool. Ascension shouldn't necessarily require you to give up your Focus; instead, your Focus (specifically, M20-style Paradigm) helps define what you need to do to achieve Ascension. Heck, even the “truly embrace that it's all just window dressing” notion that earlier editions pushed is merely a culmination of the “We're all gods in disguise” Paradigm.

As someone else pointed out, the Akashayana don't achieve Ascension by letting go of their views about the balance between body, mind, and spirit, between themselves and the world around them; they achieve Ascension by achieving that balance. They work within the Akashic Focus to achieve the perfect state of being.

Yes, Ascension involves “letting go” — but it's about letting go of your hubris. You don't need to abandon Practice or Paradigm to Ascend.

Comment

Working...
          X