No announcement yet.

Presenting a Unified Council

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kind of wish that, instead of Sahajiya, the Cult'd have gone back to being the 'Seers of Chronos'. I kind of love that name.

cWoD Dice Probability Chart ||| cWoD Dice Statistics Calculator ||| cWoD Alternative Armor System
    cWoD Alternative Damage Roll System ||| My explanation of cWoD Damage Levels ||| 'Intersting' Strength Attribute Stuff
    EXPLOSIVE cWoD STUFF!

Comment

Originally posted by Dataweaver View Post
      As well, “Euthanatos” derives from the Greek word for “death” — and a big part of the rebranding of the Chakravanti on the New Horizon Council is that the Tradition has moved away from its “death mages” reputation. Instead, their focus is on the Wheel of Fate — the “Chakra” in “Chakravanti”. It's still a cross-cultural collaboration; but now it's named for the cycle of fate instead of being named for death.
      Alright, from that angle I can see the rationale. Thanks for explaining.

I'm not even close to being sold on the other ones, though.

Shameless Technocratic shill.

Comment

What does Kha’vadi even mean?

MtAw Homebrew: Even more Legacies, updated to 2E

Comment

It's in the Dreamspeakers write-up:
          Kha'vadi: “those whose vision shapes the world”

Comment

Originally posted by 21C Hermit View Post
            What does Kha’vadi even mean?

My Google-fu seems to indicate that it was a term pretty much made up out of whole cloth for M20. It narrowly edges out "the Mercurial Elite" for my least favorite name change in M20. At least the new name for the VA's is just ill conceived and confusing, rather than a bunch of vaguely "ethnic" sounding nonsense.

Comment

I very much prefer the Cult of Ecstasy compared to the Sahajiya as the name for this faction of Traditions Mages. The way I hear it, "the Cult of Ecstasy" is a clear, prideful statement of a chosen direction and of intent. The Sahajiya as a faction name lacks this.
              Last edited by Muad'Dib; 03-14-2018, 01:48 PM.

Comment

Considering that all these alternative names appear as a side bar in the tradition chapter of M20, but the main text has their more “traditional” names, I’m inclined to say these alternative names are not the default option, but rather an added option for those that care about that sort of thing.

Keepers of the Wyck: A Chronicle I'm running FINALE: Chapter 39: Green Fairy

Comment

What was wrong with Virtual Adepts?

Comment

Originally posted by Weirdboyz View Post

According to M20, the term "virtual" is outdated, and the new names pays homage to Hermes, aka Mercury, the god of space. which is apparently less outdated?

Comment

Originally posted by Weirdboyz View Post
                      Nothing. It's a fine name. The "Mercurial Elite" is the stupid name.

Comment

Sahajiya was about getting the Tradition back to its Indian roots and getting away from the Bacchanal/Hippie drug fest that the Tradition was originally presented as.

Mercurial Elite is to get away from the Cyberdork view of the tradition, showing how it's evolved more into a math and "data is everything" tradition. Though we already have a tradition named after that particular Greco-Roman god.

As for Kha'vadi, the original name of Dreamspeakers is more of that psuedo-Native sounding stuff that's rather belittling.

Akashayana was the tradition's original name.

What's nice is it's presented as an option, so they're free for you to ignore. Speaking for my group, we don't even use most of the canon Traditions or Conventions anymore.
                        Last edited by Onkwe; 03-14-2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Onkwe View Post
                          What's nice is it's presented as an option, so they're free for you to ignore. Speaking for my group, we don't even use most of the canon Traditions or Conventions anymore.
                          What do you use instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Saikou View Post

What do you use instead?
                            It would be an epic long post to explain what we did. To sum it up, there's a different history for Union and the Traditions; something more organic.

The Union is more based around an evolution of the Craftmasons. The Cabal of Pure Thought and I think one or two other other of the founding groups also joined, but we felt that given the time period a lot of these groups were ridiculous to think of them being fundamentally inseparable to their mystic counterparts. Others were not a paradigm, but a goal that any mage could do. As a result of this, the founding of the Order of Reason was more of a civil war between the Order of Hermes and the sundering of that group.

The Traditions are largely groups that individually formed over time as the Order of Reason/Technocracy expanded. They roughly correspond to the positions their canon counterparts fill, but came together in a series of alliances over the 500+ years of the Ascension War and didn't really become a unified council until after WWII, when the equivalent of the Adepts defected from the Union. They're more of a faction in the Ascension War the Technocracy and Nephandi never thought would pose a threat again to their plans; taking the Awakened community by surprise.

Comment

It's worth noting that when Brucato was approached to do M20, his original thought was to do a “New Millennium” update to the setting. But he was convinced that the purpose of M20 should primarily be as a retrospective on Mage — something designed to celebrate the game's history and to heal the rift in the fanbase by acknowledging all prior editions of the game and their contributions.

That said, he still gave us a taste of what he had in mind for his New Millennium setting, where he intends to take the game if given the chance. The New Horizon Council is part of that, as is the nascent Disparate Alliance and the imminent Technocratic reorganization. And if ParaWolf decides to put Brucato in charge of Mage 5e, I have no doubt that he'll go all in with his New Millennium.

So yeah; the new names for the Traditions are given as alternatives rather than defaults, for the “default” pre-“New Millennium” setting of M20. But where the New Horizon Council is concerned, they're more than that: they're part of the reconceptualization of the Traditions that makes the new Council what it is. All of the name changes correspond with changes in how each of the rechristened Traditions see itself, with the Chakravanti being the most blatant example. But as Onkwe points out, the other renamings have meaning to them, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Onkwe View Post
                                Mercurial Elite is to get away from the Cyberdork view of the tradition, showing how it's evolved more into a math and "data is everything" tradition. Though we already have a tradition named after that particular Greco-Roman god.
                                At the risk of sidetracking this thread (again), may I propose an alternative? How about Plato's Heirs? Plato works better than Mercury because he was instrumental in founding the discipline of mathematics (though Pythagoras still gets the honor of being the “father of mathematics”) and also because he came up with Plato's Cave and the notion of Platonic Forms, both of which match up with the Tradition's view that there's a deeper level of Reality that's composed of information. Indeed, I could easily see “Plato's Heirs” viewing the Digital Web as merely one part of a much larger “Platonic Space”.

Comment

Working...
                                X